D-2 East: "I see something" Max Schmelling

BE

Six-man fan
I cant say with much authority that the D-2 champion resides in the East this year. Granger's ranking points to that, and most coaches I have spoken to concur. I don't know how good Follett and Buena Vista and Loraine are this year. We do know how strong Balmorhea is based on their game with RS early.

Everyone in the stands saw the extra point problem. If Calvert and Jonesboro want to raise the UIL trophy over their heads, they will have to fix their PAT problems. Jonesboro may have improved since I last saw them against Oglesby. Calvert, I've been told, scored 72 points last night but made only a few point after kicks. There in lies the Achilles heal for both these teams. If the Trojans scored 72 points against Oakwood, my weak math skill shows that they hit three of eleven PATs. Jonesboro wasn't much better vs Oglesby. Sure, in six-man it is not a determinate factor for winning most of the time. However, the exception to that is when the competition involves the top five teams in the state. Don't be surprised to see the victor of the Calvert-Jonesboro-RS battles come down to who has the best PAT performance. For me predicting who wins that competition is easy---the Coyotes.
Their two-point kicks are second to none every year. And this year is no exception. Jonesboro's appears technically right, but they didn't go thru very often. Calvert does everything wrong with their PAT, despite having a kicker who can power the ball 50 or 60 yards on kick offs.

Will be interesting to watch whose weakness KOs them from the playoffs. The experts think any three can dominate the game in Shotwell. Pay attention next week when Calvert and Jones' clash, and then the following week when the winner faces RS. Of course that's if the Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.

Always thought RS taught a class starting in the first grade on snapping,holding,and kicking the ball
By far the best sixman school on kicking the PATS RS..

D-2, two really good games.

Calvert puts the ball in #7 hands all night, don't think Jonesboro can stop Calvert's spread offense.
Close game, Calvert 60- Jonesboro 42.

RS, one can never pick against those Coyotes: I Love reading BE insight on all teams. BE can we please get your opinion of who wins and why?
RS wins this one big in my opinion. Good luck to all!!

Not in D-2, but let's go Milford, Coach Crumpton, one of the better Coaches and might add an outstanding, outstanding MAN!!

Calvert's #7 is very good but he'said only one man.
Jonesboro's running game and defense is hitting on
all cyclinders. Could be another OT game like last year.
Whoever wins this game will win Sate.

I wouldn't go that far. Whomever wins this game gets the opportunity to play in the Quarterfinals. Still some great teams out there. RS/Follett/Motley County, Etc.

Calvert wins State if they get past Jonesboro.....RS is a great team.and as always they are well coached and play very diciplined football. .....but they are lacking the speed on defense to contain a speedster like #7 for calvert... Marty Flores Ran all over RS in week 1 From the spread formation , and I believe had the Hornets Played RS a week or two later they would have beat them..... Rochelle did not know how good they could be in week 1.....leading the coyotes after 3 quarters seemed to be a shocker to them....

tx6man4life":1m7lpon1 said:
Calvert wins State if they get past Jonesboro.....RS is a great team.and as always they are well coached and play very diciplined football. .....but they are lacking the speed on defense to contain a speedster like #7 for calvert... Marty Flores Ran all over RS in week 1 From the spread formation , and I believe had the Hornets Played RS a week or two later they would have beat them..... Rochelle did not know how good they could be in week 1.....leading the coyotes after 3 quarters seemed to be a shocker to them....

Sorry to pop your bubble, as I also am rooting for the Rochelle Hornets this season in their D1 title quest, but if the game had gone on for a few more minutes, the Coyotes would have 45'd the Hornets.

Johnny South":1efjw6mq said:
tx6man4life":1efjw6mq said:

Sorry to pop your bubble, as I also am rooting for the Rochelle Hornets this season in their D1 title quest, but if the game had gone on for a few more minutes, the Coyotes would have 45'd the Hornets.

I agree like I said the hornets...their fans and coaches I expect....looked up in 3rd quarter and seen it was anyone's game and choked....I don't mean RS was not a better team....but I don't think they were a unbeatable opponent that day either

Goliath was big , and the dinos, to. How did that work for them?
Its not about size. If they don't make extra points they don't outscore a top team. Unless they dominate most of the other phases of the game. Can they?

It was a great game! The electricity in the air everyone was riding is why I love high school sports. Low cost, exciting atmosphere, talented players and passionate football fans ... more fun than kissing a pretty woman.

I would like to push for a playoff system like the one Oklahoma basketball uses. Their system doesn't knock anyone out until the second loss. It's a crying shame teams like Calvert, Hermleigh , Valley and Gordon are already out in the strongest six-man land in the galaxy. More years than not any top ten team in Texas can beat up the state champions from all the other six-man states, even Canada and Australia.

I was proud of the young men from both teams. More than once I saw a kid knock the bejeesuz out of an opponent, then cruise over and offer him a helping hand getting up. I felt proud to be a Texas football fan watching both teams. Thank you for a wonderful experience boys. You taught us that we still can be passionate opponents and maintain our love for each other. I have missed that kind of brotherhood. It is good to still witness tough and rugged competition, yet still feel the compassion for each other. It was as if you men were from the same school.
God has blessed you guys, and you have blessed me.

I truly must say it was a great game.The sportsmanship I saw on both sides was awsome.and I am proud to see that God lives in our children.

What difference does it make if two top ranked teams meet up early in the season or at the very end, someone will lose anyway. There are lots of kids that want the chance to compete for the title, even if sixmanfootball site fans have already filled out their bracket and crowned a winner.

BE":1kdbrcub said:
I would like to push for a playoff system like the one Oklahoma basketball uses. Their system doesn't knock anyone out until the second loss. It's a crying shame teams like Calvert, Hermleigh , Valley and Gordon are already out in the strongest six-man land in the galaxy. More years than not any top ten team in Texas can beat up the state champions from all the other six-man states, even Canada and Australia.
Oooh, I like that idea. Maybe with a slight variation for football. Make it so that a district runner up has one loss left to be eliminated. Still gives them a chance without keeping em around too long to just get shellacked if they are truly a weaker team.

More liberal bulls^tt , everything has to be even, right, or "I" dont like it. Sometimes the best is right next door, sometimes not..deal with it. This still stinks of the 'West is better than the East",,,, very juvenile...

Cougar', what are you talking about? Your comment was reference to what??
Been called a lot of names , but never been accused of being liberal. Don't see liberal-speak in anyone's statement. You missed the point. Playing more tough games is not a liberal talking point. I want to see more smash-mouth games like the one Jonesboro-Calvert displayed. That game will be one for the ages.

And if they continue on, its reputation will grow much more. If they are satisfied with last night, they will play one more and everyone will eventually forget about it, except for Jonesboro fans.

I would love to see an RS-Calvert game. How about an Oakwood-RS game, and a Mt. Calm-Calvert game. The Oklahoma system makes that possible. I would pay $20, hell 30 bucks a ticket to see more games like that one last night. (keep it down or the UIL will get ideas) I would enjoy any of those games and hope they were back-to-back-to-back, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Or three in a row on Saturday. Last night was a bonafide classic for three and a third quarters. It had everything except unstoppable passing.
It was better than making out with your girlfriend in the parking lot at halftime. (: Ohhhh! Sorry for being juvenile. (:

Okay, WS vs Calvert is an idea. I was just giving examples to make a point. WS works towards the same point.
Your question made me look and on paper it appears Mt. Calm is stronger than WS, 10-0 to 7-3, Mt. Calm ranked 9th while WS is 19th. I saw both teams play and in my mind Mt. Calm would win if they played each other.

______Here's the point. The Oklahoma system would give teams like Mt. Calm and Walnut Springs the opportunity to prove who is best.______

Maybe this would be a good topic after the season is over. Post the actual playoff bracket next to an example of how the Ok bracket could have looked. Let the six-man world decide if it is a feasible idea.
I bet the UIL could come up with a pilot without making the season longer for 95% of the six-man schools. And if it was necessary to extend the season for everyone, look at one less scrimmage, or one less pre-district game. I have not given it any thought beyond typing the idea to this post. But I know if there is the will there will be a way.

Back