Crowell 2-pt Favorite over G-R in Next Weeks Lone Star Cup

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Uh, wouldn't this be fun?

We could play this in Trent. It's a little bit further for G-R, but the UIL will be too busy and wouldn't have to know. Come on.

Just curious how does Crowell gain almost 4 pts when they didn't come close to their spread. Not trying to take anything away from them. They are a darn good football team.

When a spread is so large (40)… and they won by 26, the important thing is winning, as well as winning by more than 20.

May gained over 5.

Water Valley gained over 4 (due to G-R win) and they weren't even playing…

all of these play a part

I don't think Crowell could stop G-R's offense. Nor do I think G-R could stop Crowell's offense.

With 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter, the Cowboys finally gas, and Crowell wins 148 - 130.

jc_30":9415gdsr said:
Just curious how does Crowell gain almost 4 pts when they didn't come close to their spread. Not trying to take anything away from them. They are a darn good football team.

You just have to take the rankings for what they are, an imperfect indicator as to the strength of a particular team. Water Valley beat two of the three teams ranked ahead of them but didn't go as far in the playoffs so they're not ranked as high. Trying to rank football teams is a pretty tough gig and I, for one, appreciate the effort put into it by the Guru, Leman (oneday) and the Hornskeeper. It always makes for interesting reading and something to talk/gripe about during the week.

Thanks WVbacker. I will say this...I know Granger and I have two different styles of ranking...and our final top 10s were very close to the same! My hardest time was were to finally rank May and trying to figure out who should be #10.

It's funny that the WV is ranked behind two teams they beat and ahead of Ira when, deep down, I just don't know if they could have beaten the Bulldogs if they had been able to get by Crowell.

Blue Bird":3uiraes9 said:
WV will be kicking themselves for a long time for losing to Crowell.

Yeah Blue Bird, the WV had their chances in that game and things could have been different but the fact is that Crowell couldn't be stopped in the 2nd half. WV had the ball inside the 5 yard line twice and came away empty-handed but you have to overcome things like that if you want to be a great team and it just wasn't to be. Even if they had held on to beat Crowell there is no telling if they would have been able to defeat Ira. The Bulldogs are very fast and might have been too much for the Wildcats. Grandfalls-Royalty was fast like that and gave the WV problems in the first game of the season before WV took control of that one. I will say this though, if the WV would have been the Region II representative I believe they would have hoisted the trophy. Of course, I think the same thing about Ira, Garden City and T-Rock as well. I believe any of those five teams from Region II could have handled May on Saturday.

I'm not one of those that has a "West is Best" mentality. I believe that it is cyclical and can remember a few years ago when the East had Richland Springs, Calvert, Trinidad and Throckmorton stomping the guts out of the best the West could muster. T-Rock is a big factor here and has swung to the West for the last two years but they could end up back in the East in 2014. I just believe that Ira, T-Rock, Garden City, Crowell and Water Valley were the five best teams in D1 this year and they all happen to be from Region II. I'm not the only one though, Granger's toy is of the same opinion.

This is what I submitted as my end of season rankings to DC:
DI
1. Crowell
2. Water Valley
3. Ira
4. May
5. Garden City
6. Throckmorton
7. Abbott
8. Blum
9. Valley
10. Happy

DII
1. Grandfalls
2. Follett
3. Milford
4. Newcastle
5. Strawn
6. Loraine
7. Calvert
8. Jonesboro
9. Blackwell
10. Richland Springs

WV Backer":3550jpkw said:
I'm not one of those that has a "West is Best" mentality. I believe that it is cyclical and can remember a few years ago when the East had Richland Springs, Calvert, Trinidad and Throckmorton stomping the guts out of the best the West could muster. T-Rock is a big factor here and has swung to the West for the last two years but they could end up back in the East in 2014. I just believe that Ira, T-Rock, Garden City, Crowell and Water Valley were the five best teams in D1 this year and they all happen to be from Region II. I'm not the only one though, Granger's toy is of the same opinion.

Throck is going to be D-II next year. In D-II, the east has had a stranglehold on the finals for the last several years, given the RS dynasty. Other than Motley County back in 2007, and GR this year - has there been another West D-II champion in the last 6 years?

In D-I, other than when Throckmorton was in the East, that was the only team in that bracket that could compete with the West. If T-rock had been in the east this year, it would have been a Crowell-T-rock final. I think that the west's domination will continue for a few more seasons. Right now, the West is best - and has been for several years.

Back