GSB":aseiukwo said:
Computer seems a bit off on TAPPS DI...

Midland Trinity 24 point dog to Loraine...Midland Trinity 72-46

Boerne Geneva 45 point dog to Rochelle...Boerne Geneva 88-44

Abilene Christian 10 point favorite over Cherokee...Abilene Christian 68-34

Dallas Covenant 45 point dog to Abbott...Abbott 44-36

EP Jesus Chapel 32 point favorite over Dell City...EP Jesus Chapel 54-8

Sugarland Logos Prep 18 dog to Calvert...Calvert 40-38
Here's how you can help. Get all of the same info that Dave Campbell gets for UIL and publish it. That way, the "computer" has enough info to make a better guess at where the ratings for those teams should start.

Fair enough, but my post was not intended to be a criticism of how the rankings are made, but a comment on where they should go from here. How can computer rankings be sound coming into a season with minimal data? Even if there was more info in DCF, that info would not provide enough data to make anything more than subjective opinion. It would seem that computer rankings are only relevant once the season begins and real data (scores) can be used. Now that there are scores, it appears that TAPPS DI may be a bit stronger than originally anticipated.

That is exactly right, it is nothing more than a guess based on very minimal information. Even if I had all of the information about every player on every team, and the time to process it, it's still nothing more than an educated guess. The computer can't calculate heart, desire, drive, mental mistakes, injuries, coaching effectiveness. What the computer can calculate is scores, so the more we get, the more accurate the computer is. I apologize for assuming that you were being critical. It's generally the only feedback that we ever get.

Not a problem hornkeeper. I know in my part of the state, we appreciate all you and the rest of the prognosticators do. You all add a lot of fun for the posters and honestly, a lot of excitement for the boys.

Back