Building and sustaining a program

Corey McAdams--Penelope

Anyone who has read Where Dreams Die Hard and knows about where the program is now will agree.

Also:

Mike Reed--Throckmorton
Dewaine Lee--Strawn
Jerry Burkhart--RIchland Springs
Vance Jones--Garden City
Terry Crawford--Abbott

JMO

The "sustaining" portion of the thread title infers an unspecified number of years success and many would probably argue for more to qualify but... For the last 5 just from observing primarly on here I might be tempted to add Coach Ritchey at BC and Coach York at Follett.

OK I'm using my allotment of seriousness up on one post here. I was always of the opinion that there were 2 types of personalities in coaching. Those that enjoyed starting and building a program to success and then moving on to another challenge and those that can step into a successful program and continue the program. I'm not saying the 2 types are exclusive, but I was just wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts on this.

I may be from Loraine but Toby Goodwin is a for good coach. He built that program up and has done a GOOD job keeping It that way. Good job Toby!

A lot of that building and sustaining success has to do not only with the coaches, which is a huge part, but having administration that backs you and also having the "local experts" keep their opinion limited to down at the coffee shop. Too many communities have those citizens who want to stick their noses into the business of the coaches and those people have no clue how to run an athletic program. These same people think that because they were a decent or good athlete in high school that they have the qualifications to run an athletic program or a football or basketball team. The communities that have all the key ingredients are the ones you see successful today. The schools that go through coach after coach after coach dont seem to get it or refuse to get it. In the end the only ones to suffer are the kids. My team last year had seen three head coaches in three years, now the seniors have seen four. Its sad, but the "local experts" make it so difficult on the coaches they no longer want to be there. The worse thing is that the administration does nothing to stop it for fear of losing their own job. Its sad. I will get off my soap box now, and for everyone out there this is just my opinion. Agree or disagree is up to you, just stating what I have come across or run in to over 10 years in the business.

You said it a lot more tastefully than I would have, Texman, but you are absolutely right.

I would add that it's not just the "experts", but also those doting parents who can't stand for anyone to get on to their precious little Johnny. Not to mention those parents who take it as a personal insult that Johnny has to sit on the bench for part of the game.

rainjacktx":6c65sx5a said:
You said it a lot more tastefully than I would have, Texman, but you are absolutely right.

I would add that it's not just the "experts", but also those doting parents who can't stand for anyone to get on to their precious little Johnny. Not to mention those parents who take it as a personal insult that Johnny has to sit on the bench for part of the game.
I too had been at a total loss for words
from the beginning of this topic.
Texman hit the nail on the head.
Smokey had great input also.
If a school/community isn't ready
to give a coach 5 years to build
then,
they aren't ready to be successful.
And,
it is the kids who suffer most.

NFHS says it's the Boobirds that cause most coaches to leave.

You said it best Texman. That is the problem Veribest has had in the past. Hoping this year is the turning point. It's so sad to see the kids working hard but then to not get the result of it. It's hard on the kids to have a different coach every year. Yes sometimes it is the parents that can run off a good coach. I'm looking forward to watch the building program Coach Richmond has started this year. Not only did we finally get a WIN but the kids respect him and want to play for him and that's where it starts. If you don't respect a coach there's not much they can do with a team. The whole school has team spirit and that has been lacking in years past. Just my opinion...

I will say that from personal experience, the biggest issue in BUILDING a program is patience. Not only myself, but also the community, parents, administration and everyone in between. Usually when you build a program, you're taking over a program that hasn't been very successful in the past, so patience and understanding is key.

When you've finally built your program and are trying to SUSTAIN it, pressure is the biggest issue. You've got this program that has consistently won 10-12 football games a year and all of a sudden, you drop off and go 4-6 or 5-5. Everyone in town is gonna say "that coach has no idea what he's doing". The pressure gets to you as a coach, and anyone that says it hasn't is a liar.

Building and sustaining a program are two different issues, but the thing that makes either one of them hard to do and why most coaches quit, leave, get re-assigned, is because they aren't patient and they can't handle pressure.

JMO

Not sure when Coach Grimes became HC at Calvert but as far as a 'sustained" program.... their last loosing season was 1997. Since then they missed the playoff's once - in 13 years. During that time they won it all in 02, state semi in 09, quarterfinals 7 other years. That's making at least the QF 9 of 13 years. Has any team done better over that long a period?

Texman301":29vs30ii said:
A lot of that building and sustaining success has to do not only with the coaches, which is a huge part, but having administration that backs you and also having the "local experts" keep their opinion limited to down at the coffee shop. Too many communities have those citizens who want to stick their noses into the business of the coaches and those people have no clue how to run an athletic program. These same people think that because they were a decent or good athlete in high school that they have the qualifications to run an athletic program or a football or basketball team.

Precisely the problem with Big Spring over the years.

51eleven":3rp0aoby said:
Not sure when Coach Grimes became HC at Calvert but as far as a 'sustained" program.... their last loosing season was 1997. Since then they missed the playoff's once - in 13 years. During that time they won it all in 02, state semi in 09, quarterfinals 7 other years. That's making at least the QF 9 of 13 years. Has any team done better over that long a period?
Coach Nelson Campbell from Gordon, 1991-2003 (13 seasons). 13 winning seasons, 12 playoff appearances, 6 times to QF, 2 state championships.

I wouldn't say "better" per say, but equal at least.

Is Coach Hoskins, not at GC anymore as an administrator. I remember playing his Whit teams and they were always tough.

Would yall throw Allison from Meadow. They have been a pretty established program for at least the last 9 years that Allison has been there.

[b]Coach Hoskins has retired and is living in Olton. He is, I believe, the elementary principal at Hart "on an interim basis."[/b]

Back