Artificial noise makers

oldfolks

Six-man expert
I can’t find where this has been discussed but I thing I remember something. I went to a 6-man football game and the other side of the stadium had an air horn. I can’t remember a louder one. “I” wish they would make illegal, with consequences, any artificial noise makers. The air horns in the case I’m talking about were aimed at the stands I was setting in and they hurt my ears and head. I think that anyone that blows an air horn the play after a player had been “carried on stretcher,” off field when their team scores and the ambulance hasn’t shut back doors is showing no class.

I can’t find where this has been discussed but I thing I remember something. I went to a 6-man football game and the other side of the stadium had an air horn. I can’t remember a louder one. “I” wish they would make illegal, with consequences, any artificial noise makers. The air horns in the case I’m talking about were aimed at the stands I was setting in and they hurt my ears and head. I think that anyone that blows an air horn the play after a player had been “carried on stretcher,” off field when their team scores and the ambulance hasn’t shut back doors is showing no class.
I have to agree. It almost seems like the horns are less about hyping their team and more about just being obnoxious. If the horn is clear across the field and hurts my ears in the stand, it’s too freaking loud.

It has already been presented to the UIL and it was denied! Nothing wrong with being loud at a football game! It won't ever go away! That's why most sit in their vehicles! JMO, I like that it's loud, shows the fans getting into the game and supporting their team! Anything else is for the birds!

It has already been presented to the UIL and it was denied! Nothing wrong with being loud at a football game! It won't ever go away! That's why most sit in their vehicles! JMO, I like that it's loud, shows the fans getting into the game and supporting their team! Anything else is for the birds!
I like it loud from the fans. I yell and scream as loud as I can but it is with my big mouth. All for fans supporting their team. I don’t appreciate the air horns pointed at opposing team bleachers. I think I will look for one of those hand held compressed air horns.

As an official (and I'll qualify this by saying that I don't know if it's an NCAA rule or just one that got 'implemented' selectively over the years), I will not allow any air horns, train horns, etc. running on compressed air within the playing enclosure - especially if they are on my side of the field (corner of the EZ, pointed at the field/stands.). Honestly they're loud enough that having to move to the other side of the fence doesn't make a bit of difference, and I've had some grumbling but no real objections. Being 10-20 feet directly in front of that horn is 100% damaging my (and other officials' hearing, and I will not allow it, to the extent that I can make them move or redirect. I've also asked them to point either directly across the EZ or more towards the stands, so I'm not in the direct blast path. I can't cover my ears and signal TD at the same time.

I don't do that to be a PITA, but it's not reasonable to expect officials (and others) to get hearing damage from them.

What is the world coming too! All of the sudden we are hurt by every little thing! Social Media has made everyone cupcakes! Its to loud, point it towards another direction! Good Grief! It's not like they sit there and just mash the button! Sound like a bunch of 2 years old fighting over a bottle of milk!

What is the world coming too! All of the sudden we are hurt by every little thing! Social Media has made everyone cupcakes! Its to loud, point it towards another direction! Good Grief! It's not like they sit there and just mash the button! Sound like a bunch of 2 years old fighting over a bottle of milk!
Actually.. I have been to a few games that they did just that.

I don’t think I’m a cupcake and if they had pointed it the other way or towards their own bleacher I would not complain. They were button happy. Need to know more about what happened before calling people cupcakes and 2 year olds.

I don’t think I’m a cupcake and if they had pointed it the other way or towards their own bleacher I would not complain. They were button happy. Need to know more about what happened before calling people cupcakes and 2 year olds.
Agree. Friday I had my noise meter from work. From across the field and in the stands it was at 80 decibels. At 85 you need hearing protection. But don’t mind me I’m going get a glass of milk

Everyone we play on our schedule blow air horns. KC, Rankin, Garden City, Spur, Ira , Highland, Hermleigh… we blow one as well. Every game the opposing side pints them to the opposite stands. Heck WB does the same thing. Happy and Strawn also have good horn setups.

If UIL bands them then ok but until that moment they will be used.

I have never seen someone blow them when a kid is injured. I have seen schools get into horn battles.

I have seen a school blow the little hand held one before and after the snap. That shouldn’t be allowed.

They don't have to point it a different direction because someone may have hearing issues! They have no idea that something may have happened to someone and aren't able to hear or they are sensitive to louds noises! I am 41 years old and I value my hearing! I have no deficits in my hearing. Buy, I do what I have to do to keep from being bothered by loud noise and can still enjoy the game with the rest of the fans! Again, whats the world coming to with all this. Again stop being so sensitive! Goodness!

They don't have to point it a different direction because someone may have hearing issues! They have no idea that something may have happened to someone and aren't able to hear or they are sensitive to louds noises! I am 41 years old and I value my hearing! I have no deficits in my hearing. Buy, I do what I have to do to keep from being bothered by loud noise and can still enjoy the game with the rest of the fans! Again, whats the world coming to with all this. Again stop being so sensitive! Goodness!
I’m 78 years old and I have 20% hearing disability from the military, 8,000 rounds of 5 inch diameter ammo fired in anger off the coast of Vietnam plus all the training rounds before and after. I have some issues with some noises. Why am I being sensitive? Why can’t people use common sense. I’m not the only person that has a problem with artificial noise. I’m very verbal at a ball game I have an interest in or decide to pull for. I yell at the top of my voice and I can be a big mouth. I don’t think Highland has a horn, I was there the 1st. I don’t remember Strawn having one. I will know about Hermleigh the 29th. Stop being so sensitive? Me and a lot of other people may be the majority because all the fans from the team with the artificial noise maker may not like it.

I’m 78 years old and I have 20% hearing disability from the military, 8,000 rounds of 5 inch diameter ammo fired in anger off the coast of Vietnam plus all the training rounds before and after. I have some issues with some noises. Why am I being sensitive? Why can’t people use common sense. I’m not the only person that has a problem with artificial noise. I’m very verbal at a ball game I have an interest in or decide to pull for. I yell at the top of my voice and I can be a big mouth. I don’t think Highland has a horn, I was there the 1st. I don’t remember Strawn having one. I will know about Hermleigh the 29th. Stop being so sensitive? Me and a lot of other people may be the majority because all the fans from the team with the artificial noise maker may not like it.
Thank you for your Service and Sacrifice for this country! I give respect where it's due sir! Because of you and the 100s of men and women who sacrificed themselves for us! Is the reason we get to speak our minds! All I can say is until the day they make it a rule that schools aren't able to have them! They will continue to use them!

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 6
I agree with Old folks. I could do without the horns. Went to a playoff game a few years back and a horn was used after every first down as well as the TDs. It was aimed right at the stands that I was sitting in. I kept thinking that it should have been aimed at their own fans.

The loud horns are more about the horn blowers wanting and getting attention than adding to the general fan support of a particular team. Seems like it is a tit for tat noise battle which leaves most fans covering their ears. Schools should ban them from the games if the UIL doesn't stop them.

Back