Article: Ware Takes Over At Alvin Living Stones

It's good to be back with my six man brethren for another season. I saw a huge change has taken place concerning my friend and favorite coach, Wayne Ware. I wish Pine Drive all the best this year, but I'll be following Living Stones and look forward to seeing whether Coach Ware's blueprints will take hold on yet another team that can only go one way.....up.

My office is in Alvin and Living Stones is a wonderful church. It will be nice to have Coach Ware close by. My biggest problem, besides my weight, is that my lovely daughter will be a freshman at Lake Jackson Brazoswood, a UIL 5A school. She made the flag waving Color Guard Team and I am pretty sure most of my Friday nights will be spent here in Lake Jackson. Hopefully, ALS will play a few Saturday games this year.

My initial thoughts are that Coach Ware will have his hands full in 2009. He worked quickly at Pine Drive, but the first year was a 4-7 campaign if I remember correctly. The new transfer from Friendswood should help a lot, but no seniors spells trouble and that much inexperience will be hard to overcome. I'll be hoping for the best, but think next year is the one to circle for ALS. I don't know if Keenon Ward will be following Coach Ware to ALS......but if he does, look out. ALS will be an instant contender.

Best wishes to all teams in 2009. I pray that each coach develops each player with Christian integrity and pray that the season be without serious injuries.

Here is the article from the Houston Chronicle about Coach Ware and his Alvin Living Stones Lions:

NEIGHBORHOOD HIGH SCHOOL ROUNDUP

Ware takes over at ALS

By L. SCOTT HAINLINE CHRONICLE CORRESPONDENT
July 27, 2009, 4:30PM

Alvin Living Stones doesn't have a single boy in its senior class, and that translates into no seniors for new coach Wayne Ware.

“I'm taking over a program that's not accustomed to winning,” Ware said. “It will be a challenge, especially without seniors, but there is great potential in place.”

The Lions have not earned a postseason berth since starting up in 2006, but during that same time, Ware led Dickinson Pine Drive to three straight playoffs reaching the TAPPS state semifinals in 2007 and region finals last year.

“I enjoyed Pine Drive, but I also enjoy turning a program around,” Ware said. “Pine Drive had a change of administration, and it was the right time to make the move.”

Assistants Tyler Sanders and Ernie Lopez came with Ware from Pine Drive, and John Ruiz, who was already on board at Living Stones, completes the staff.

“We've matured as a program, but we're not developed all the way, and that's what coach Ware can do for us,” Living Stones athletic director Phillip De La Rosa said. “He brings the six-man mentality, and we're confident he will lead us to the next level.”

Ware sees juniors Kory Freeman, Stephen Anderson, Josh Gutierez and Jessie Honea, and sophomore Tyler Grisham playing key roles.

Gutierez (713 rushing yards, seven touchdowns) was the main man last year, and Grisham, a transfer from Friendswood, should help keep control up front.

“Gutierez is our tailback and middle linebacker, and Grishman has good footwork and line knowledge, so there won't be much teaching there,” said Ware, who was 23-11 at Pine Drive and is 74-36 overall.

Freeman went from tight end to fullback-defensive end in the spring, Anderson is a tight end-nose guard, and Honea a wide receiver-defensive back.

The Lions scrimmage on Aug. 15 at Tomball Rosehill, and at home with the Tomball (home school) Warriors and Pasadena First Baptist on Aug. 22 in 10 a.m. starts.

The season opener is at 7 p.m. on Aug. 28 at Clear Lake Christian.

Back