Another KO question

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
posed today... some folks need a reminder

In 11-man, a touchback results in the ball being placed on the 25 yard line. Does the same apply to six man kick offs???

I figured I would post here before getting this wrong.

That is correct. In Sixman the touchback placement of the ball is at the 20 yard line. Also while I'm here. We also need to pay close attention to a bit of new rule pertaing to the kicking team on Kick offs.
A new paragraph is added ahead of the sentence beginning "when the ball is kicked"

B. After the ball has been made ready for play all players of the kicking team except the kicker must be no more than five yards behind their restraining line. A player satisfies this rule when one foot is on or beyond the line five yard behind the restraining line. If one player is more than five yards behind restraining line and another player kicks the ball, it is a foul.

So basically no 20 yard running starts for kicking team. Also with onside kicks making sure that if you have a quick kick by someone other than the person that is decoying as the kicker that when it is kick that decoy is within that 5yard zone.

It's also worth noting that the 25-yard-line touchback only applies to free kicks, not scrimmage kicks.

Six-man football has it good -- no changes, always at the 20.

Back