91-0

Little Doc

11-man fan
As I said earlier this year, crowded field football could learn something from their upper level six-man rule makers by instituting a 45 point rule. Aledo beat some Fort Worth team by this 91-0 score. It was 56-0 at half. And some Fort Worth parent has the gall to file a bullying complaint against the Aledo coaches. Go figure.
Kick my rear and let me go home at the half in time to watch scoreboard on TV.

I agree with Texman. I would rather be beat that bad than have a team put in their third string or run out of bounds before they score. That's embarrassing for the team losing!

Wonder what kind of pep talk the Ft. Worth coach gave at half-time. Bet it fell on deaf ears. UIL officials need to take heed and make the rule. Nothing good comes from continuing a fiasco like that! They probably won't do it because if 11 man didn't start the rule, they sure don't want to be seen as followers. Maybe they will be smarter than I think they will.

The fact that a parent accused the Coach of Aledo of bullying, like he was on the field with the ball, is just ridiculous. Parents need to realize their kids are going to lose in sports its inevitable and to file a complaint for a game that was finished off by third string players is just dumb but again this is a society now that "gives trophies for showing up"

wths":1dkuy7ty said:
The fact that a parent accused the Coach of Aledo of bullying, like he was on the field with the ball, is just ridiculous. Parents need to realize their kids are going to lose in sports its inevitable and to file a complaint for a game that was finished off by third string players is just dumb but again this is a society now that "gives trophies for showing up"
And "participation" awards

The fact is the Aledo coach pulled his first stringers after 21 snaps. The 2nd and 3rd string WERE the ones doing the scoring! The Western Hills coach knew it was coming and said it was no big deal. This parent is an idiot and needs to pull their kid to play some other game like CHESS!

Not sure how to handle the matchup mismatch- Western Hills dresses 30 players....going against #1 team in the state....there will be no favorable outcome....Not sure that UIL wants to stop the "beat downs" for the top programs- looking at the top 25 from last week- 13 games in 4A (the same as FW Western Hills and Aledo) were decided by greater than 45....

Hope the UIL wakes up...a 91 beat down is not good for either program...

This bullying complaint is a larger issue than anyone might realize. As an educator and a coach it has become clear that the values of work ethic, personal responsibility, and taking pride in who school have gone by the wayside in most towns. "It's not the kids fault we were beat 91-0 it's the other team for bullying." Despite the fact the third string played the majority of the snaps.
"It's not my kids fault he does not do his homework or behave in class its your fault as a teacher." I heard of a parent telling another teacher that they need to stay out of their family business when the teacher suggested the parents help their child with their homework. Makes you long for the good ole days when parents demanded exellence from their kids not just being satisfied with average or just barely passing.
This is only going to continue until parents realize that stunts like this shame them more than the actual defeat and there is nothing wrong with losing if you learn from it and find away to improve yourself in some way after.

Well said Coach...The real issue is much larger than complaining about a whoopin.
The real issues are personal responsibility, parental involvement in educating their own children with values(work ethic, respect, problem solving). Blaming others for your problems and deficiencies doesn't solve the problem. Neither does name calling and belittling.

Having a "Mercy Rule" is a small bandaid approach to fixing the problem. Yes it will avoid unnecessary thrashings. However, Momma is still going to complain...no matter what you do!
Until we return to the values our nation was founded on...we are looking at a downward spiral..

I disagree with the mercy rule in six-man but it would be ridiculous to implement it in elven-man because the teams are often more evenly matched and beating a team badly in elven-man remains a much more difficult feat than in six-man. Disagree with me about the rule? If so, ask yourself the following question; why do kids/students chose to spend their time in extracurricular actives versus doing something else? While the answer might vary slightly from student to student, most want to play the sport. I hate driving to six-man games just to watch a half because kids only get between 40 and 60 high school games in their careers and I feel like the mercy rule cheats both teams out of a chance to play. There are extreme situations in six-man, but not as much in eleven-man. Richland beating Eden 96-0 in 07 comes to mind but, if I understand correctly, Richland put their slowest guy at spread-back and still scored. Besides, Richland really played "Eden's JV' because the Eden starters tried to wrap the school or something along those lines. The most incredible and yet overlooked accomplishment of Tyler Ethridge's career constitutes the fact he only played a half way more than 50% of the time.

Political correctness in our societies ruins a lot of things, but why should we allow it to ruin sports? Besides in elven-man a coach could just switch his lineman and skill position players and drastically reduce an offenses effectiveness due to the specialization within the sport. I am sure the team that lost 91-0 could stop one of the tackles playing running back. Basically, I see the argument for the mercy rule in six-man, though I disagree with it and would rather just play, but eleven-man does not need it. Then again, lawsuits maybe the best argument for the mercy rule in either sport, or any sport for that matter, but we are really screwed up as a society, more than I though previously, if we need to go there.

I don't know. I'd rather get beat by 45, rather than 91 or 150, which the Aledo coach said they could have scored. Regardless, it's just a loss and they just need to admit they got beat by a much better team and forget it. I agree 11man can normally hold the scores closer than 6man.

They Call Me Coach":2dzo3dm5 said:
This bullying complaint is a larger issue than anyone might realize. As an educator and a coach it has become clear that the values of work ethic, personal responsibility, and taking pride in who school have gone by the wayside in most towns. "It's not the kids fault we were beat 91-0 it's the other team for bullying." Despite the fact the third string played the majority of the snaps.
"It's not my kids fault he does not do his homework or behave in class its your fault as a teacher." I heard of a parent telling another teacher that they need to stay out of their family business when the teacher suggested the parents help their child with their homework. Makes you long for the good ole days when parents demanded exellence from their kids not just being satisfied with average or just barely passing.
This is only going to continue until parents realize that stunts like this shame them more than the actual defeat and there is nothing wrong with losing if you learn from it and find away to improve yourself in some way after.

Are you really their coach And are you an adult. And are you responsible ????
All you had to do is throw on the towel.

Maybe 11man can take a lesson from boxing. Since they don't have a 45 point rule and they are getting beat to a pulp, they could throw a towel out on the field and holler, "No mas!" Maybe the parent calling it bullying, should have done it! No true six man fan would have done that.

Surely you jest when talking about small school and towns and the work ethics I challenge you to come visit rankin are we perfect from it but we have good teachers and parents who care about all the kids not just their own. Just remember as you point at someone else's problems you have three pointing back at yourself So have a bit of humility a little rigidity to your spine and work on a solution and don't be afraid to ask for help we all need it on some days

kbjoe1":168b4n6s said:

Surely you jest when talking about small school and towns and the work ethics I challenge you to come visit rankin are we perfect from it but we have good teachers and parents who care about all the kids not just their own. Just remember as you point at someone else's problems you have three pointing back at yourself So have a bit of humility a little rigidity to your spine and work on a solution and don't be afraid to ask for help we all need it on some days

You missed the point. I didn't say it was all towns I said most. And your throw in the towel comment what does it teach your kids if you quit when it gets hard. As to the teaching thing when parents don't hold their kids reponsible for doing their work is the issue.

There's really not a lot good about a blow-out, regardless of which side of the 91-0 you end up. We in sixman know it. Winning by that score is like getting all the ice cream and candy you want. Sure it feels good when it's happening, but you have a bellyache fairly soon afterwards.

But the local fishwrap (San Antonio) had an article on this "bullying complaint." The complainer got to have his/her name redacted for privacy purposes, but I think it was more of a sour grapes -- our city school got beat by the rich suburban kids again thing.

The complainer focused on the coaches, saying that the Aledo kids had nothing to do with the "bullying," and answered the question about witnesses as "all the people in the stadium."

Sour grapes, in my estimation. Hopefully, UIL will put Aledo in a more competitive district next time around and allow the Fort Worth schools to have their own district to minimize stuff like this.

Back