RIP James Street

freeagent

Six-man pro
From Ken Capps, Fox Sports Southwest sixman correspondent:

Dear Friends,

As you know, things are very uncertain - and in many cases - SAD around the Horns right now. Especially the loss of James Street. I wrote this commentary below for TexasExes.org and TexasFootball.com.

Thought you might enjoy it. RIP #16. Best Regards, KC

A BOY AND ADULT REMEMBER JAMES STREET

The first time I remember James Street was sitting on my Dad's lap at 1804 Burbank, Austin - Dec. 6, 1969.

Watching a black and white console TV.

We watched #16 come alive in the second half and slice and dice the stiff Arkansas defense for a Longhorn national championship.

A few months later, my Dad passes away.

I win a spelling bee at Brentwood Elementary School.

My prize: a ride to the awards dinner with James Street and UT wide receiver Cotton Speyer. There was so much happiness and awe and grief (from losing my Dad) I didn't know what to say. I just couldn't believe the guy on TV winning the national championship was in the same car.

Wow.

Fast forward to the 1990's, and I'm all grown up, a Texas Exes volunteer and a Chair of the Get Teed Off at OU Golf tourney in Dallas. Biggest Longhorn golf tournament in the world. Raising money for scholarships. The day before the glorious Red River Shoot-out.

We decide to honor the 1969 Texas National Championship team. We name Street and Coach Darrell Royal Honorary Chairs and both come to Dallas. And play golf with us.

Wow again.

But it gets better. Even though it rained.

Someone had dusted off a VHS copy of the 1969 "Game of the Century" and brought it to the golf course. (Yes, VHS!) Midway through the round, heavy rain cancelled the tournament. More than 300 golfers crowded into the clubhouse and watched that VHS tape WITH DKR and Street. On one of those really awkward bulky big screen TVs of the time.

Can you imagine?

These mega Longhorn fans watching THE GAME with the two legends of that day --- and everyone whooping and hollering like they've never seen it before? Or knew the ending? And getting commentary from Coach and Slick.

Wow #3.

James played in our golf tournament several more times, and was always gracious signing footballs and photos for silent auctions.

I can't even imagine walking around Austin without the possibility of bumping into a smiling, passionate, positive James Street. Downtown. At DKR. At the Disch. At the Erwin Center. And for the Longhorn Nation to lose Coach Royal and James in less a year - it just doesn't seem right. Or fair.

Thousands will miss him terribly. Because he touched so many - literally.

One can only imagine the number of hands he shook and photos he posed for doing "Hook'em Horns" over the years.

A few years ago, I asked James if he remembered the car ride to the spelling bee awards. He said in his usual enthusiastic way, "Of course !" I scoffed and told him, " NO WAY!"

He promised he remembered. I knew for many years James was one of those rare individuals who kept his promises.

And I will always remember him.

Most sincere condolences and prayers for the entire beautiful Street family for James, whose life was entirely much to short but completely well-lived.

Ken Capps is a native Austinite, lifetime Longhorn and Special Contributor to TexasFootball.com.

Thanks for the post. What the hell with the circus acrobat back flipping on the field at 2:45 after the big 4th down pass? What is a cheerleader doing ON THE FIELD 5 seconds after the biggest play of the 60s?

Pretty funny with the clarinet girl having the uncontrollable emotions after the field flipping person tumbled across the field.

Thanks Mark. I watched the 69 game of the decade on small b/w tv in the back work area at my 1st job in the 7th grade.
Connie Mack and Humble, back to the radio only deer lease.

Back