Ranch Kids v. Farm Kids

SiXmAnMaDnEsS

11-man fan
Six man towns are often reliant upon agriculture for their very existence. And as I passed through the Pitchfork ranch, I began to ponder who had the upper hand?

Small farms, which now require not as much labor as they once did but still plenty of work?

Large ranches, where work is done out of a pick up or horseback?

I won't answer, as I grew up cowboyin, and so you know what side I choose! 108 degree weather or 20 degree weather in a 1000 acre pasture looking for two bulls or a momma and calf on a spooked horse makes a tough boy.

SiXmAnMaDnEsS":1m1j8ogc said:
Six man towns are often reliant upon agriculture for their very existence. And as I passed through the Pitchfork ranch, I began to ponder who had the upper hand?

Small farms, which now require not as much labor as they once did but still plenty of work?

Large ranches, where work is done out of a pick up or horseback?

I won't answer, as I grew up cowboyin, and so you know what side I choose! 108 degree weather or 20 degree weather in a 1000 acre pasture looking for two bulls or a momma and calf on a spooked horse makes a tough boy.

So does chopping cotton or moving irrigation pipe on the same day.......

This is an interesting topic. Looking at the state champs from years past, you could say it could go either way. I'd say it leans more toward the ranch kids these days.

Most kids now are tending to be more town boys that stay inside alot. Out west seems to be more ranch kids that have to help out more outside rather that be on ranches or farming. Just my observations.

HP Drifter":1tyrdqhx said:
I always said that cowboys were smarter than farmboys. My dad never figured out how to put head lights on a horse.
We usually needed headlights the mornings we gathered Angora goats............ We couldn't see the goats but we could smell 'em.

rainjacktx":3192byi0 said:
Sheeps don't deserve a proper plural. They're the only animal under God's blue sky that is born looking for a place to die.
Bad mouth em all you want. Chivas got us through the drought of the 50s & barragos put 3 hairy legged boys through college...............

smokeyjoe53":381obmc7 said:
rainjacktx":381obmc7 said:
Sheeps don't deserve a proper plural. They're the only animal under God's blue sky that is born looking for a place to die.
Bad mouth em all you want. Chivas got us through the drought of the 50s & barragos put 3 hairy legged boys through college...............

Short grass people...and their sheeps. I like goats. Especially when you work with a wetback (can you even say that anymore?) who knows how to cook on a tractor disc. Lord. I'm drooling.

But so as not to be accused of derailing the discussion, I think most all ranchers do some farming and most all farmers raise some livestock.

So I'm going to go with hay hauler kids as having the best job to toughen them up.

rainjacktx":3r6oxoqt said:
smokeyjoe53":3r6oxoqt said:
rainjacktx":3r6oxoqt said:

Short grass people...and their sheeps. I like goats. Especially when you work with a wetback (can you even say that anymore?) who knows how to cook on a tractor disc. Lord. I'm drooling.

But so as not to be accused of derailing the discussion, I think most all ranchers do some farming and most all farmers raise some livestock.

So I'm going to go with hay hauler kids as having the best job to toughen them up.
Used to be true. Now round bales make it so fat crippled up old men can haul hay. BTW, I cook on a 36" disc quite frequently. I know what you mean about tasting good.

I think its about equal. Both require alot of those doing the work and a strong work ethic to do the job right. I rather being ranching becuase you get to ride through pasture some days. However that being said, these days backside might not be too keen on the being on a horse all day.

They Call Me Coach":18dqsv41 said:
I think its about equal. Both require alot of those doing the work and a strong work ethic to do the job right. I rather being ranching becuase you get to ride through pasture some days. However that being said, these days backside might not be too keen on the being on a horse all day.

The old Army Cavalry manual - "40 Miles in a Saddle" by Major A.S.S Burns

I went to work on the Diamond A's in Arizona for a year, most of it was on the wagon. Look up the ranch it is massive and a real cowboy place. Not these farm-ranchers around, but a ranch. A cowboy's paradise. And we went a long ways everyday, horseback everytime. And man, whoever says it ain't work is a liar.

Farm kids, I always had them as friends. Shooting signs and drinking beer, as well as whatever bird landed close, was something we all enjoyed. And some were stout, hay throwing kids. Others were blobby tractor drivers. And some of the "ranch kids" were just Ford drivers. Put out hay, caked, etc.

But at Throck, RS, Turkey Valley, Guthrie, Jayton, Happy, McLean, and a few others to name, ranching is the heritage.

Back