Playoff WEEK 3 Sites (November 29-December 2)

flame

11-man fan
Quarter Final Game
Loraine (visitor)
Grandfalls (home)
6:00 pm friday Nov. 29
San Angelo Stadium 1902 Knickerbocker
$6 Adults $4 Students

Any news on Follett v MC? Pampa is fairly central and has 6M quarterfinal history. Or I suppose they could go over to Amarillo

Is availability purely a function of whether someone else is already playing there? Or is there something else that comes in to play?

elenaran":3ln4i5z1 said:
Is availability purely a function of whether someone else is already playing there? Or is there something else that comes in to play?

I bet a lot of schools don't want to provide a site over the Thanksgiving weekend.

elenaran":r1wehl69 said:

Wiser minds might correct me on this, but here's how I always started the process. I figured out what was halfway and then started identifying possible sites moving away from the center ... knowing many of the "perfect" locations just aren't affordable or available. I remember once we had a great site picked out but once we got seriously talking with that school's athletic director, all of a sudden the cost (and lack of personnel available at that site) threw it out of contention very quickly.

I've been told that in 5A playoff games, rental fees in the $50-70,000 range do happen. Of course, rental covers more than just the joint -- security, ticket personnel, and stadium staff might be a part of the deal.

Almost everything is negotiable in a playoff situation ... who is the home or away team, where will the officials/chain crew, announcer, clock operator, admission fee, and such. I was told of a recent situation where it took several days -- and several cancellations and hirings -- to choose which TASO chapter was to officiate a game.

Recently, a couple of the local UIL schools had playoff games at their home field. I understand that UIL now has a rule that says if you go ahead and flip for home field and you host the game, if you play that team again in playoffs in the following 2 or 3 years, the game must be held at the other team's home field.

Ol' Edd Burleson (former TAPPS director) told me of his days at Mart HS. One playoff game, the opponent insisted on flipping for home field (thinking he had a 50/50 chance of hosting the game). Edd told the guy, okay, we can go ahead and flip, but I want to let you know that for the game, my home field will not be Mart HS, but Yseleta HS Field in El Paso. Rather quickly, the opponent agreed to a neutral field.

I remember once being involved in a playoff game and when it was learned that the local radio station was to broadcast the game back to our home town, the visiting team objected and wanted a piece of the "rights fees" we must have been paid for the game. I told the people involved that if they wanted to contribute to the $75 or so that our booster club paid for an advertising spot, I would be happy to share the bill with them.

The one thing I liked to do (and perhaps this was easier for me to do since I was athletic director and not a head coach) was to think one round ahead and try and set up possible sites/times. For example, after the first round was set, I would call BOTH of the teams who we would play if we won the first round and set up possible second round sites as well as setting up contacts with any neutral site we would use in the next round so that once the first round game was complete and we won, we would already know where the next round game would be played.

Especially with this week -- Thanksgiving -- and the difficulty of finding sites (and open schools) in a short time frame. But I think I might have been the exception rather than the rule.

Back