My nomination for worst BB fans - Garden City

I was able to attend the Bronte-Garden City game this week and, even though I've not seen Robert Lee fans in action, I was disgusted by the Garden City fans. During their girls' game against Bronte, the fans, with little exception, whined about EVERY call made against their team. Even on obvious fouls/travelling, etc, the bearcat fans booed and belly-ached. During the boys' game, the crowd seemed to settle down, but the GC boys coach went ape. Almost without exception, when GC missed a shot he either glared at the refs, hollered for a foul, or turned to the crows and griped. It's as if the only way his boys can miss is if they got fouled. His Supt needs to talk to him....the whole show was embarrassing...then again, so were the scores. Those Longhorns are brutal.

I may be inclined to say that all fans at every girls basketball game are the worse fans...mainly due to the fact that refs do not ref very well in the girls games, the let them foul hard and get away with a lot more, so the more physical the game with no control enforced on the players by the refs leads to tempers flaring in the stands. If the refs called better games and established thing in the very beginning of the game then there would be less of a problem.

Just an observation made by me over the last 4 years...and the one Garden City game I went to this year the fans were fine.

Having played Garden City twice this year I can say that they do have passionate fans but that certainly is not a bad thing. If you go to any high school game you will hear some things that probably should not be said.

I have no problem with your comments on the fans, as I try not to worry about them myself.

However, this is the 2nd time in as many weeks that you have come on here and talked poorly of a coach from our district and that I do not appreciate. First it was Coach Moore and now Coach Abney. I have a great deal of respect for Coach Moore and there is no coach I respect more than Coach Abney.

Sadly though this is all too common in our society today. It is so easy to bash from the stands or hide behind a screen name.

I am sure both of those coaches would love to answer any of your questions you have based on their strategy or decision making, as would I.

Have a great day.

Aaron Marks
Head Girls Basketball
Sterling City

Well Aaron,
If you'll read, I was not talking poorly of the Bronte coach...just asking if someone could explain why starters were left in and a full court press conducted with a 30 point lead in the fourth quarter. I don't think questioning that is talking poorly, just making an observation. Maybe you need to grow a thicker skin.

Regarding the coach from Garden City, I did think his behavior was poor as he clearly whined and griped at the refs when his boys did not make a shot. I even overheard several GC fans express the same sentiment. Again, Aaron, grow a thicker skin or stop reading message boards.

I think this behavior your talking about is also known as close game passion....GC was hanging with one of the best teams in the state and a win wud've been huge for GC. Untill a coach is T'd up, the rest is just passion. And if Abney was getting on to his players its most likely because he feels his team could & should be doing better...that's coaching for ya!

oneday":259wdrdu said:
I may be inclined to say that all fans at every girls basketball game are the worse fans...mainly due to the fact that refs do not ref very well in the girls games, the let them foul hard and get away with a lot more, so the more physical the game with no control enforced on the players by the refs leads to tempers flaring in the stands. If the refs called better games and established thing in the very beginning of the game then there would be less of a problem.

Just an observation made by me over the last 4 years...and the one Garden City game I went to this year the fans were fine.

I agree that girls games seem to bring out the more vocal, emotional side of the fans compared to boys games. Maybe because most every player in a girls game is their Daddy's pride and joy. I speak from experience.

I don't really see that much difference in the officiating other than it seems that the boys are allowed to play a little more physical than the girls.

oneday":3tcdiju6 said:

Oneday,
Have you ever officiated a basketball game? It's very easy to sit in the stands & "call" the game. Get on the floor where the action is & see if you fare better down there vs in the stands. You have two(sometimes three) people on the floor trying to see everything that goes on between 10 kids at one time. No, not every little foul or violation can be called otherwise, you'd be there all night. Calls will be missed. It happens. If anyone thinks they can do a better job, then by all means find a chapter in your area, go to the meetings & get yourself assigned to some games. Just a warning though, you'll have to start at the bottom & work your way up.

97eagle -

Thanks for the classic response to any little criticism anyone has toward any ref (I'm willing to bet that over half of your 32 posts are open challenges to people to "go join your local chapter"). One time it would be refreshing to see a ref stand up like Jim Joyce did and own their mistakes or even just say that they could understand the criticism and that they will try to do better...but that rarely ever happens...it's always that classic line "Well if you don't like it you go ref". Some people work all day out in the field, or on the farm or on the ranch, or have to commute many miles to work and back, or take care of family members that need looking after at home...and do not have the time it takes it be a ref for the little pay it brings. So here is a novel idea...how about the refs just do their job and stop whining at every little criticism...and stop trying to deflect it with the old "you do it" line...

O and I have reffed before...so go fly a kite (other than that...you do make a few valid points about how difficult reffing CAN be...but it is not ALWAYS that hard)

rainjacktx - Good point I think that plays into it as well...when I played I never heard my father once...but my youngest sister...he was vocal for her games...sometimes very vocal!

oneday":1qfh7xuy said:
97eagle -

Thanks for the classic response to any little criticism anyone has toward any ref (I'm willing to bet that over half of your 32 posts are open challenges to people to "go join your local chapter"). One time it would be refreshing to see a ref stand up like Jim Joyce did and own their mistakes or even just say that they could understand the criticism and that they will try to do better...but that rarely ever happens...it's always that classic line "Well if you don't like it you go ref". Some people work all day out in the field, or on the farm or on the ranch, or have to commute many miles to work and back, or take care of family members that need looking after at home...and do not have the time it takes it be a ref for the little pay it brings. So here is a novel idea...how about the refs just do their job and stop whining at every little criticism...and stop trying to deflect it with the old "you do it" line...

O and I have reffed before...so go fly a kite (other than that...you do make a few valid points about how difficult reffing CAN be...but it is not ALWAYS that hard)

rainjacktx - Good point I think that plays into it as well...when I played I never heard my father once...but my youngest sister...he was vocal for her games...sometimes very vocal!

Wow. My bad. I didn't realize you were so passionate about your Y games. And for your information I've been a single parent that works in the field before you're probably even brewing your first pot of coffee, working my butt off so that I can go meet my partner for that night's series of games while raising two kids. Yeah, it's rough, but I make it work because I have to. I officiate because I love the game & know that I can contribute to helping these kids get a better understanding of why certain calls are made in a game. And as far as mistakes; yeah, I've made them. But I'm not afraid to admit to an upset coach when I blew a call. Save your "my daddy loved my baby sister more than me" for someone else.

Congrats on finding time to ref games...good for you. Give yourself a great big pat on the back.

"Save your "my daddy loved my baby sister more than me" for someone else"

That almost made me laugh...good attempt at humor...but not even close to what I was saying, your comment is so far off base and misses the point...but being a ref I expect you miss a lot of things*...O and that comment of mine was directed to rainjacket and his comment...so ya it was for someone else.

Spend less time on message boards challenging every person who DARES question the quality of some of the referring jobs and more time reading up on your rule book so maybe they won't have to.

*(Drifter...that is a light hearted ref joke...please do not come paint my town red!)

oneday":2tnzgk3n said:
*(Drifter...that is a light hearted ref joke...please do not come paint my town red!)

popcorn.gif

oneday":29h7kzyc said:
By your standards does it make me old if I bought coffee in a coffee can that was actually a can and not made of plastic?

LOL. Nothing smelled better than the two or three seconds after the lid was pierced by the can opener. And the sound it made was pretty cool as well.

Like Lou Holtz once said-"Refs wanna watch the game, spectators wanna coach the game and coaches wanna ref the game."

Back