Munday pondering dropping to Sixman

Serious question: Would the Munday Moguls instantly become the best mascot in all of sixman football!?

TebowTime15":1jmyxkvy said:
Serious question: Would the Munday Moguls instantly become the best mascot in all of sixman football!?
The Trent Gorillas might differ with you on best mascot names. Just saying.

Same mistake, different town. Keep beating that dead horse. They don't seem to understand that if they have a surge in population they can resume playing the crowded field version.

It is funny to me the ignorance of these individuals making the decisions. I am from a town that was in Mundays shoes for many years before we made the decision to start playing sixman. It is the best thing we could have ever done. It changed the outlook of our school's athletic program and changed the town for the better. So it really frustrates me when I see someone say that going to sixman is "giving up". One day when there kids are no longer interested in going 0-10 they will realize the mistakes they have made.

Texlonghorn75":6r27g6hu said:
TebowTime15":6r27g6hu said:
The Trent Gorillas might differ with you on best mascot names. Just saying.

While the Trent Gorillas are my all time favorite high school mascot in all of Texas football, I asked the question in hopes Munday people would read my comment and vote to join us. It's so silly to want to play 11-man when 6 is clearly superior!

Goonesfarm":1q10u7bk said:
Have you all forgotten about the Rotan Yellowhammers?

I'm a Gorilla all the way, but a Yellowhammer sounds pretty cool. What is it exactly? I didn't even know Rotan's mascot since they are a newer addition to sixman. Some of the bubble sixman/11-man schools around Abilene have cool mascots like Munday, Rotan, Roscoe Plowboys, Winters Blizzards, Hamlin Piped Pippers, and isn't one of the schools by Hamlin/Haskell the Wizards? Trent is by Abilene as well.

When we were kids we always called them "flickers". They were really hard to sneak up on to get within BB gun range! I guess that they are a protected species now, and may have been then but we didn't think about such things way back.

WindthorstFan3":2cbnqern said:
Per article in the Wichita Falls Times Record News, Munday held a community meeting seeking input from the community regarding a potential drop to Sixman. Their snapshot number was only 82 students. Ultimately the final decision will be made by the school board.

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/s ... 503063001/
I guess I’ll say it. It is not a “drop” to Sixman, if anything it is a rise, a promotion, an eye opener even, but definitely not a drop. JS

Shad Kline":4n8x4qua said:
WindthorstFan3":4n8x4qua said:
Per article in the Wichita Falls Times Record News, Munday held a community meeting seeking input from the community regarding a potential drop to Sixman. Their snapshot number was only 82 students. Ultimately the final decision will be made by the school board.

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/s ... 503063001/
I guess I’ll say it. It is not a “drop” to Sixman, if anything it is a rise, a promotion, an eye opener even, but definitely not a drop. JS

Shane, it's been discussed here before. I've pointed out among others that moving down in a classification is in fact moving up for many schools. They may be able to compete at this level, and at least continue playing football.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mo ... &FORM=VIRE

Cowpunch":2ucsla3r said:
yes it is a drop in classification, 2A to 1A.

If Munday only has 88 kids, then they are already classified as "1A" in every sport but football. They choose to play 2A 11-man because they are anti-sixman.

Cowpunch":1m1j3jmo said:
yes it is a drop in classification, 2A to 1A.

I agree.. I think this is one of those things we get overly defensive about when people say it.. it is what it is.. Munday will be 1a and play up to 2a in football.. no need to get in a wad over it

Here is the conundrum for Munday: according to the TEA enrollment reports for the next 6 years they will have 6-man enrollment but in 2025 their current enrollment jumps up to 127 and in 2027 even higher to 136. After going 0-10 and either 2-8 or 1-9 this year, their program is trending down but it's difficult to maintain a program if you have to teach the kids a totally different game. Their 3-4 graders went 4-3 in a league against Archer City, Electra, Olney, Petrolia, Quanah, and Windthorst while the 5-6 graders went 3-4. Unless UIL sends them west or south those are possible district opponents in the future.

WindthorstFan3":dr1wozj6 said:
Here is the conundrum for Munday: according to the TEA enrollment reports for the next 6 years they will have 6-man enrollment but in 2025 their current enrollment jumps up to 127 and in 2027 even higher to 136. After going 0-10 and either 2-8 or 1-9 this year, their program is trending down but it's difficult to maintain a program if you have to teach the kids a totally different game. Their 3-4 graders went 4-3 in a league against Archer City, Electra, Olney, Petrolia, Quanah, and Windthorst while the 5-6 graders went 3-4. Unless UIL sends them west or south those are possible district opponents in the future.

Disagree on only 1 point. I have coached both games, they are not totally different. A good friend of mine made the same observation after coaching both. It went something like, once I realized it (6-man) is still running, blocking and talking everything went smooth. Different? Yes. Totally different? No. Just an academic discussion and offering a different perspective.

On another note, the gentleman in the article that said it feels like giving up, I think he meant giving up on community growth, not necessarily that 6man is an inferior game. While I love sixman, I think he is right. If the community goal is to have a larger student population and community, then ride out these tough years in 11 man especially when there appears to be a time coming that the numbers for competitive 11 man will return. Just know its the kids in the middle that pay the price for that decision and seems like they are on board.

Back