GORDON ISD

Edward Golden

Six-man fan
GORDON ISD is accepting applications for the following position:

Head Basketball, Head Baseball, and Asst. Football.

Teaching Field: 4-8 Generalist being able to teach Math and Science.

254-693-5342
[email protected]

Assistant what?
What is/are the teaching field/s needed?
Housing avail?
Above state base?
Healthy stipends?
This is the information age.
We need more information.

Teacher salaries in Texas are public record. If Gordon is not telling you on the phone you can make a formal request. They have to divulge salary information.

Rattler

I am not sure what it is, but I know for sure it is much more than that. Did you talk to Holly Campbell when you called. Our coaching salaries do vary depending on what you coach and whether you are HC or Asst. Please ask for Mrs. Campbell if you are interested.

If your first question to me was how much I wouldnt want to talk to you either. If your in this for the money then you need to find a new profession!

Why is coaching/teaching the only profession in which it is taboo to worry about pay? My family comes first, pay is very important to me. Attitudes like the one above is why teaching is very underpaid as it is.....everybody expects us to work for near nothing, and like it. Just my $.02.

coachjdjones":2uk58gya said:
Why is coaching/teaching the only profession in which it is taboo to worry about pay? My family comes first, pay is very important to me. Attitudes like the one above is why teaching is very underpaid as it is.....everybody expects us to work for near nothing, and like it. Just my $.02.

I totally agree

My bubble is burst....... Here I thought coaches were of unimpeachable character. Dedicated to shaping our future leaders no matter the personal cost. Spotless reputations, without sin....... Now I read they are influenced by filthy lucre ........... I am shocked....,, shocked I say .........

If I was hiring and the first thing you did was ask me how much your going to get paid It would leave a bad first impression in my mind. Although yes it's important, it's not the most important thing. If it is your driving force in this profession then I wouldn't want you coaching or teaching my kids anyways. People in this profession yes are underpaid and maybe your right about it being a bad mindset that we have become use too, but I honestly believe you should care more about the kids and the profession then it just being a paycheck.

truthhurts04":306eglnx said:
If I was hiring and the first thing you did was ask me how much your going to get paid It would leave a bad first impression in my mind. Although yes it's important, it's not the most important thing. If it is your driving force in this profession then I wouldn't want you coaching or teaching my kids anyways. People in this profession yes are underpaid and maybe your right about it being a bad mindset that we have become use too, but I honestly believe you should care more about the kids and the profession then it just being a paycheck.

The rule I was always told about pay was (1) let the prospective employer bring it up; if they offer the amount, that's fine; if they ask what you expect to get answer something like "I would expect to receive a salary equivalent to the market rate for this position," perhaps a little nicer worded than that.

WHEN you receive an offer for employment, it is entirely acceptable for you to ask for specifics on the rate, frequency of pay and benefit packages. Then you can decide whether it's worth it. Fortunately, some school districts (probably in the metro areas) post their pay schedules on their website.

Where it's really a game is in private schools. I know of schools (multiple) paying $15-25,000 a year no benefits for full-time teachers and others paying close to public school salaries with benefits. And in the case of lower paying schools, it's not because there's a greedy pastor and church fleecing the customers to build that new sanctuary with palatial office space and a putting green; it's just that the money isn't there.

rattler03":2rlqqppk said:
But still the bills must be paid......Sometimes you have to take a hit for certain jobs but you still need to be able to provide.

Yeah, I always said if I could get away from those luxuries of life like food and shelter, I'd tell the man to stuff it tomorrow ... well, maybe the day after payday.

I had an interview recently,
(seriously, I really did. Whoda thunk it?)
where I focused mostly on the expectations
of the school and myself.
When it seemed like we were almost finished
and they asked if I had any more questions
I asked if it was ok to discuss the "benefits"?
They got the point
and were very open and honest about pay etc.
So, if you do it in that order it might work better.
One of my favorite interviews
was with a HC that STARTED with the pay.
WOW was that refreshing!!
He laid it all out and asked if we even needed to continue?
I thought that was an honest approach and not inappropriate even for a teaching position.
(I didn't get that gig, supposedly for lacking experience, but at least he got fired at the end of that yr. So...:)
Then another time a guy asked me what I knew about charter schools.
I popped off that I didn't think they could pay a liveable wage.
Prolly shoulda said "Not much".
He became instantly indignant claiming all I cared about was $$ not kids.
He claimed that they paid a very "comfortable" salary,
but refused to say what it was?
So,
it's obviously one of those things that could go either way.

There is not a single coach or teacher out there doing this for the pay. I never said pay was the most important thing. But, it is very high on my list of whether I would seek a job at a certain school. Yes, every one of us is in this for the kids, but my own children are far more important, and I will make sure I can take care of them first...period.

Family comes before football all the time for me. That is also why I will try and pay assistant coaches for any work done in the summer. They are away from their family all school year, and there is no way I would ask them to be away from their family in the summer without compensating them for it.

By the way, has anyone noticed how many jobs are open this year? Maybe because college grads are finding jobs that pay more with less stress than this profession....

There is definitely a delicate balance
between teaching kids
and working for pay.

Seems like a normal to low year for openings to me.

Back