Best Grease Burger and chicken fried steak.

Coach Wentrcek

11-man fan
Once again, I live by the 4 "F"s. That would be Faith, Family, Football, and Food. In light of number four on that list of priorities, where have you found the best grease burger and or chiken fried steak. Some of my personal favorites include......

Crow's burgers in Belton, Tx (burger)
The Old Store in Westphalia, Tx (burger)
The French Quarter in Temple, Tx (burger)

The Ranch in Belton, Tx (Chicken fried)
The Country Inn in Sommerville, Tx (chicken fried)
The Texas Star Cafe in Comesneil, Tx (chicken fried)
The Fort Davis Drugstore in Fort Davis, Tx (chicken fried)

They are all so good I can't pick a favorite.

W

funny-pictures-cat-asks-where-his-cheeseburger-is.jpg

Chris Madrid's in San Antonio for the burger... I prefer the Tostada Burger.

Dirty Martin's in Austin. Put me down for a small OT special with a fried egg on top, tots and a limeade.

Good thing I worked out at lunch or I'd feel full just thinking about this.

As for the Chicken Fried, I am no expert, but I like just about any.

I experienced the best taco of my life the other day at Torchy's Tacos, just across from Dirty's. It was the special taco of the month and called The Double Wide. It was a tortilla with chicken fried steak strips, fresh bacon crumbles, cheese, chipotle ranch dressing and who knows what else. One was all I could eat. I wentback a few days later for another....

Never had a burger at Chris Madrid's, but lots of good burger joints in SA. Molly Joe's in New Braunfels used to make pretty good Burgers, wide variety too, but have not been there in a while. Don't even know if it is still open, lol.

Clear Springs Restaurant in New Braunfels has pretty good Onion Rings, and I dont even like Onions.

A great hole-in-the-wall restaurant for Taco's is La Pasidita in Schertz. The best Spanish Rice in San Antonio.

The best Salsa in San Antonio is another hole-in-the-wall place called Bee's, on Lockhill Selma near Blanco. Very reasonable lunch specials :)

Anybody been to Shorty's in Falls City recently. When I coached down there years ago they had great steaks and the fried okra was to die for.

I'll second Chris Madrids for sure. The tostada burger is my favorite too. Think molten cheddar cheese flowing out all sides of the burger. Babe's in SA was my second choice it's just inside 410 across from the Crossroads mall.

Taste can always be debated, but LuLu's in downtown SA is likely the largest chicken fries in the state. And you can get them topped with gravy or queso!

STORMS Drive inn-Lampasas Tx for a great burger, and THE SHACK in snyder Tx for a chicken fry, better lossen the old belt when you head to the shack cause them things are nearly bigger than the plate there served on.

CodyTx":1euuw0oi said:
STORMS Drive inn-Lampasas Tx for a great burger, and THE SHACK in snyder Tx for a chicken fry, better lossen the old belt when you head to the shack cause them things are nearly bigger than the plate there served on.

It must be run by the same folks who ran the Sportsman's cafe on Lake Colorado City for many years.......

Mary's cafe for the best chicken fried steak in the country! Her hamburgers are also pretty dang good! The population of Strawn doubles on the weekends because of out of towners coming to eat.

They're not real greasy but in Granbury or Stephenville I think the burgers at Grump's are the best I evr et. The swiss & mushroom is my fave. The hot, cut fresh daily on site potato chips are great too. Of course the burgers at the stadium in Hico are pretty good, or maybe it's just smellin' em cook for a half while I don't want to miss a play, the ambiance of Super Saturday, the stadium.......

Red_Devil_DDS":1zpto5p4 said:
I'll second Chris Madrids for sure. The tostada burger is my favorite too. Think molten cheddar cheese flowing out all sides of the burger. Babe's in SA was my second choice it's just inside 410 across from the Crossroads mall.

Taste can always be debated, but LuLu's in downtown SA is likely the largest chicken fries in the state. And you can get them topped with gravy or queso!

Thanks for reminding me ... I need to make a stop at Lulu's. She used to be across the street from the County Jail on the westside, but moved a couple years ago to Main Ave., just north of IH-35. They got those cinnamon rolls for $3 (probably gone up in price the last year or so) which could feed a family; they were about 6-8" square. Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow and then go visit some pals of mine that work at Baptist Hospital ...

Old Bearkat just became one of my new favorites. I grew up outside Snyder and like the Shack, but the Sportsman Cafe at Lake Colorado City and Marys in Strawn cannot be beat on a chicken fried stake period. Zentners was pretty good as well. I saw someone list grumps in Granbury for the burger and it is killer also. I have had a lot of good burgers, but Chili Parlor Bar in Austin is one of my favorite or Chris Madrids in SA. Almost forgot a little hut outside Idalou called Apples. There double jumbo bacon cheeseburger is great and my all time fav burger for me.

When I was a junior engineer for Texas Utilities at the Morgan Creek plant, we made Sportsman's our regular lunch on Wednesdays. Great tender steak that flowed long sides of the oval platter with a dab of mashed taters on one small end and a bit of lettuce to make a claim of a balanced meal at the other small end. The steak and taters were swimming in a great gravy.

through my travels of the Great State of Texas I would have to say that the best burgers I myself have eaten were in Jacksboro at Herd's Hamburgers aka Herdburger family owned since the early 1930's. no premade patties the owner has a slab of meat on the grill and sloops some off to make your burger, puts the buns on the grill as well. You know you have a good burger when the sack it comes in is discolored from the grease...mmmmmmmgoooood!!!!!!!!

Two places for burgers. In North Texas, the Denton County Independent Hamburger Company, located on the square. Its the best burger and fires I have ever eaten and I have eaten a bunch. I will drive a couple of hours out of my way to eat here.

In Southern Texas, Mel's Country Cafe located in Tomball Great Chicken Fried Steak biggest i have ever seen. About 18 inches. Mel's is also home to the Mega Mel Burger.

Eat it if you dare.
The Mega Mel Burger
1.5 pounds of fresh ground
1 pound of bacon
.25 pound of American cheese
lots, lots of lettuce, tomatoes, onions & pickles
even-better-for-son.jpg

http://www.melscountrycafe.com/

Here's my latest opinion on Grease burgers and CFS

Burger

1. Lois and Jerry's in Bartlett
2. Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville