Heat Issues

freeagent

Six-man pro
Just a question for refs (and coaches) ... based on the extreme heat/humidity/drought we are experiencing in Texas ... temps here in Seguin this weekend forecast for 105-106 ... and the large number of kids we have that play every play, offense, defense and special teams ... and the officials themselves

Would it be in line for coaches and officials to agree to take a water break midway in each quarter (at a dead ball/change of possession as an officials time out) to rehydrate kids ... and officials (which should mean you as the home team should have adequate supplies of cold, bottled water for the officials)? Of course, this should be arranged before the game starts.

I know we did it in the brownwood area last year. If the coaches or the officials deemed the kids needed one we just asked and were not charged a timeout.

What I will be doing is not rushing the teams out of the normal breaks in the game, such as after the extra point, normal team timeouts etc. I will be giving them extra time to make sure they had enough time to get water. Last year TASO had came up with a plan for an officials timeout during each quarter to allow time for water, but the UIL frowned upon it and told us we couldn't implement it. I think they were just upset because it wasn't their idea. I think common sense should prevail with or without a rule in place.

JasonTX":22rmyp4x said:
What I will be doing is not rushing the teams out of the normal breaks in the game, such as after the extra point, normal team timeouts etc. I will be giving them extra time to make sure they had enough time to get water. Last year TASO had came up with a plan for an officials timeout during each quarter to allow time for water, but the UIL frowned upon it and told us we couldn't implement it. I think they were just upset because it wasn't their idea. I think common sense should prevail with or without a rule in place.

Maybe this is a rule where we ask for forgiveness rather than for permission ... but if coaches and officials are okay with it before the game, I don't see where it's a problem. And anyway, you won't see it happening at 5A schools with platoons and scads of trainers ... but you need it in sixman and small 11 man school games.

Our crew and chapter are going to take the approach that Jason outlined -- using common sense and maybe giving the teams just a little more time during the normal breaks that come in the game of football to get the kids hydrated.

Most of the guys in our chapter are giving a little more time for water during breaks such as touchdowns. This is primarily in the smaller schools where players have to play both ways.

Last year TASO put out a bulletin about the heat and taking water breaks and the UIL quickly put out a bulletin that was against TASO. So it will be up to the officiating crew and the coaches.

Personally I like to play on the side of safety and I say give them a little extra time.

Back