Coaching Carousel

ol' gus":e98flp78 said:
What is it about that Coach/History combo that makes it so popular? I was just wondering.

With the way history has been dumbed down by using Howard Zinn books, it's one of the easier subjects to teach.

I personally don't know anyone who teaches from a Howard Zinn book, and I"ve been teaching history for 10 years. And if you saw last years STAAR test you wouldn't think teaching history is so easy.

I'm with Techster! History isn't as easy to teach as you may think. For one, it's a job all in itself just to get the kids interested in History. Then you have about 30 weeks (after you account for all of the holidays, FFA trips, athletic events, etc. that cause students to miss) to teach them everything they need to know for the STAAR Test, which is a wealth of names, dates, wars, eras, and amendments. So, I'm going to have to say that teaching History is a far-cry from easy!

Then explain the abysmal historical knowledge of most high school graduates nationwide. There might be pockets of excellence here and there, but on average most kids come out of high school (and college) woefully ignorant of US and world history, and are even more ignorant of how our system of governance is supposed to work and how it really works.

To make my point, consider the anti-Trump protests taking place all over the nation, even in Texas, AND how many Americans, especially those between 18 and 30 voted for either Sanders, Clinton or Jill Stein.

I thought you said teaching history was easy? If it was easy, then why are the kids so history stupid? The fact is Kids are coming out of school with abysmal scores in all subjects, not just history. I blame parenting, poor role models in society, poor societal standards, and to a small part, teachers not holding kids accountable in all levels of school (which goes back to poor parenting). Schools are taking the focus off of history and focusing more on Math, Science, and English. When they show up to my class not being able to read, teaching them history becomes really hard. That being said I've never heard of one single anti trump demonstration in small towns in Texas. I hate to tell you this but it's not the job of the teachers to raise kids. And like the old saying goes, you cant make chicken pie out of chicken poop. I'd never tell a college kid to get his certification in history because it's just not marketable anymore. It's easy to get a job as a math/science/english teacher. I'd also say that saying teaching history is easy is dependent on the teacher. My math teacher down the hall could never teach history and likewise I could never teach math.

It's easy to not teach someone knowledge.

I never said it was all the fault of the teachers and the schools, but they do their share by not holding to tough standards despite pressure not to. Good Strawman you built there to tackle....

HOWEVER, barely literate kids who cannot read at grade level are almost totally the fault of the schools and the teachers for abandoning the tried and true methods of teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic in favor of totally discredited methods developed by the crappy education colleges. The pernicious influence of John Dewey has ruined the American education system.

I agree, there is too much liberal influence in the schools and it is doing us harm. However, you contradicted yourself in one of your statements. You say kids are coming out not knowing history or government, and yet you say they are voting and protesting (all for the wrong things). Wouldn't the fact they are voting and protesting prove that they learned SOMETHING in history/government. Just because it isn't the same belief system as yours doesn't mean they are not educated/taught. Better than being apathetic in my opinion.

I can say one thing, having a 5th grade daughter and knowing how much time our teachers spend trying to teach her class to read, shows me that it is not solely on the schools. When I was in 1st and 2nd grade I remember sitting at the kitchen table with my mother and father and older sisters doing homework and parents that were involved. I agree with techster that it is the fault of parents, lack of role models. One of the best quotes I have heard is "An uneducated child is only educated at school." Parents and Guardians at home need to step up and take a role in THEIR child's life.

Sure, I can accept parental responsibility is key, BUT, back in the day every class had kids from the never-do-wells who never gave a damn about their kids and these kids WERE taught to read and do simple arithmetic when taught by the old methods of phonics and memorization of arithmetic basics. I remember even Garden City had at least of those type of kids in almost every class, but they could read. Until the Feds forced "social passing" on them, kids who did not meet the standards were flunked and forced to repeat that grade until they did, or they dropped out.

Lowering standards and abandoning methods that worked and worked very well was done by the educational establishment, the schools in other words.

Contradicting myself? Again, you tried to set up a strawman. Their very ignorance, due entirely to poor education, led them to protest. I'd rather that those who are that ignorant stay apathetic rather than try to protest the wrong thing, at the wrong time, and using wrong methods. It merely re-enforces that the election results were right. Sure, there were professional organizers bussed in with a leavening of professional protestors, but they used a bunch of ignorant, poorly educated kids as pawns in their little games.

We can thank No Child Left Behind, because in reality it left a lot of children behind.

Back to the coaching carousel, I have heard of two jobs already open around the Lubbock Area.

jc_30":1gciz553 said:
Back to the coaching carousel, I have heard of two jobs already open around the Lubbock Area.

Yes and one is a HIGH profile position and I've heard Ware from Coolidge is headed there because it's close to his home area

Lowering standards and abandoning methods that worked and worked very well was done by the educational establishment, the schools in other words.

Disagree...been teaching for 16 years and one thing is, its not the teachers, for the most part...its the politicians ramming this everyone gets a cookie and all kids can go to college BS right down our throats. Its TEA being told by legislature to follow these crackpots and teach the "new" way because too many children were left behind all those years ago. I saw a little cartoon once that was showing how a teacher counted the math problem 1+1=3 as correct as long as the child could back up their thought process....do you think the good teachers like to teach this mess. NO. I would rather my children learn that 1+1=2 no matter what way you look at it. Please dont say its the teachers fault, we're not in charge of what we teach and more and more these days, how we teach it thanks to all these liberal standards we have to abide by. Not every kid is cut out for college. I believe that. Education is the key, but not all education comes from a college or university.

Not every kid is cut out for college

Yep. from my observations over the years, including my own 4 sons, about 1 of every 4 boys and 1 out of every 3 girls are ready for college at 18 yrs old. The rest are better off going to a trade or tech school, military, or right into the work force. I'm glad to see Mike Rowe is finally getting some traction with his efforts.

its the politicians ramming this

The only correction I'll make to this is to add "and Educrats." The disciples of John Dewey infest and control ALL the state and federal education bureaucracies. Every time we give them more money and control over the education of our kids, the worse it gets. The ONLY solution is to almost literally "BURN THEM DOWN!" KIll the agencies, lay off the 'crats employed and do not let them reconstitute.

The politicians who enable them, democrats for the most part, really do not care. All they want are the "campaign contributions" from the educrat and teacher unions.

Back