What are you listening to?

Dad's 8-track in his pickup, 1969. Merle Haggard Live in Philadelphia, Fighting Side of Me, Okie From Muskogee introduced. More classics. This old Woody Guthrie song by Bonnie Owens, who he stole from Buck as he neglected her.

Hey, what happened to the Funny Jokes topic? I need to go back there once in awhile and remind myself of my old jokes. And steal a few.

I'm kinda like Milton Berle in that way ... https://slate.com/culture/2014/04/joke-theft-can-a-comedian-sue-if-someone-steals-his-material.html

As long as people have been telling jokes, people have been stealing them. Take the celebrated comedian Milton Berle, a guy so notorious for lifting from others’ routines he was known as “The Thief of Bad Gag.” Of all Berle’s suspect material, one particular joke stands out for its lack of originality: “A man comes home and finds his best friend in bed with his wife. That man throws up his hands in disbelief and says, ‘Joe, I have to—but you?’ ” According to Jimmy Carr and Lucy Greeves, in their book Only Joking: What’s So Funny About Making People Laugh, the joke bears an uncanny resemblance to one found in the fourth century tome Philogelos, the world’s oldest-known joke book: “Someone needled a well-known wit: ‘I had your wife, without taking a penny,’ He replied, ‘It’s my duty as a husband to couple with such a monstrosity. What made you do it?’ ” For this joke to get from Philogelos to Berle, it was likely passed from one humorist to another for 1,700 years. If Berle stole it, in other words, he was hardly the first.

Back