Somewhat amusing letter to share ....

freeagent

Six-man pro
Thought I'd share something which I kinda think is funny. Don't have a dog in the fight, but just really funny. At least to me.

Here in Seguin a couple weeks ago, the man who had been head football coach at Seguin HS resigned. Lots of rumors on why and that's not important here, but my guess is going 2-8 the last three seasons and some discipline problems might have lead to his decision, with the former probably more an issue than the latter. Regardless, the job's open.

Saturday, I come home and a letter is attached to my door. The letter appears below, typos and all as it appears:

Dear Seguin ISD residents,

You may have recently heard of the resignation of Jim Carson as head coach from the football team, sad as it may be I am deeply concerned with the hiring of a new head coach. Seven years ago the School District had a chance to hire its first minority head coach in school history, Leon Savage, but chose to go with Jim Carson. I was sure then as I am now that the Seguin football team would be best off if the reigns of the team were past to Coach Savage. I was in school at the same time he was and I got to see firsthand his accomplishments. Accomplishments that were so good the School District inducted him into the Sports Hall of Fame, but somehow didn't consider him good enough to coach the team? He has been coaching for over thirty years, and has headed teams Seguin has played against and were quite good. I have two sons' one of which was at Seguin when they had the opening last time, and I was thrilled at the chance of my son playing for Coach Savage, but sadly for me and my son neither of us were able to see that dream come to be. Now my youngest and last is to be a freshman and I refuse to sit idly by while the same situation is happening. We have a chance to make history with the hiring of the first minority head coach, but not just any coach. A coach that grew up in the same place as me and my family, and many of you, someone that knows the school and the people, and has been awarded the highest sports recognition the School District has to offer. I have already called my School Board member, and the Superindendent's office in support of Leon Savage, if you feel the same I encourage you to do the same. Help us bring Seguin back to the glory days of old.

Thank you,
From the Alumni and Parents for the Advancement of Seguin Athletics
Superindentent's Office 830-xxx-xxx Ask for Liz

Okay, back to the commentary. I've lived in Seguin for 16 years. Never heard of Leon Savage. Okay, maybe I'm living too much of a sheltered life with my kid at Lifegate. My wife's lived here all her life. Never heard of the guy. Okay, she's not a football fan. Asked a friend who had coached and taught in the Seguin schools. Never heard of the guy. Did a google search. There was a Leon Savage who played DB at Texas State (SW Texas) in the mid-to-late 70s. Probably was him.

And, hey, he might be the greatest coach since God took Vincent T. Lombardi from this earth. I'm not ragging on him and maybe he's the coach Seguin High School needs.

But what really got me was reading through the letter and the guy who writes it doesn't have the decency to sign his name but to call himself "the Alumni and Parents for the Advancement of Seguin Athletics."

But maybe I have a different sense of humor than most folks ...

Back