Requirements to be a head coach

heavy6man

Six-man observer
What are the requirements to be a head football coach in the state of Texas? Does it vary by school or district? Do you have to have a degree? Years of experience?

What are the requirements to be a head football coach in the state of Texas? Does it vary by school or district? Do you have to have a degree? Years of experience?
Most HC have degrees, but I have known several that do not. They could work for any capacity within the school district. To teach, or be an administrator, you must have a degree. To work in maintenance, for example, you do not.

So, to be completely honest, the MOST important requirement is to "KNOW SOMEBODY".

Last edited:
As long as you have a degree you will get on somewhere coaching. Even if you never get your teaching certificate there's plenty of places in a district you can work. I know a guy whose done it this way for over 20 yrs! Back in the day the big inner city districts had lots of coaches that didn't have a degree at all but they where mostly assistants or in the middle school level.

My understanding is you can get hired on a teacher almost anywhere without a degree or teaching certification (except for ESL and special ed positions) with the understanding that you will work towards/have to show progress towards getting a degree/teaching certification.

My understanding is you can get hired on a teacher almost anywhere without a degree or teaching certification (except for ESL and special ed positions) with the understanding that you will work towards/have to show progress towards getting a degree/teaching certification.
Can you teach in Texas without an education degree?

You will need to have at least a bachelor's degree (except for Health Science Technology or Trades & Industrial Education certifications), but it will not have to be in education. Texas requires alternative certification programs to identify the content area (subject) enrollees will pursue for certification.

Depends on the program but for most small schools, the position will be tied to the classroom so at least plan on having a degree and in most cases a cert that fits the teaching field, or at least enrolled in alt. cert. program for that field. Some may not require experience but a good program will and you better add a CDL to that list as that alone might get you hired somewhere.

You can't get a certification without a degree. The thing is, if you are a full-time employee then you can coach at the varsity level without it being illegal. But yeah you have to have a degree. If other schools are hiring people without a degree and teaching cert, no wonder education has gone down hill in the public systems. Also the Robin Hood law should be illegal

You can't get a certification without a degree. The thing is, if you are a full-time employee then you can coach at the varsity level without it being illegal. But yeah you have to have a degree. If other schools are hiring people without a degree and teaching cert, no wonder education has gone down hill in the public systems. Also the Robin Hood law should be illegal
Robin hood law?

Heck boys, I remember long ago when I was in school the head football coach at Megargel was the maintenance man. The head coach at Woodson is the maintenance man as well. Only good thing that comes from it is the school saves a lot a money, since they aren't a certified teacher. Just my opinion though.

-Tex

Back