Make it a 100 yard field?

Would require more conditioning. I played on 100 yard fields a few times in high school and it was rough. We were in good shape for the 80 yd field but the extra distance made those games difficult. But if team were prepared, it would prolly allow for a lot of records to be broken across the board.

Making the field wider would increase the scoring rate a lot. It would almost be impossible to defend a good spread back. There are some sixman fields that do not have room for either more length or width.

BigFan22":2rlm3i0b said:
Leman Saunders":2rlm3i0b said:
why do it?

Just makes sense and more convenient come playoffs and state games.

1. “Just makes sense” isn’t a good argument .. I can say it just makes sense to keep it the same way

2. It would greatly effect gameplay.. specifically widening the field.. Having to defend a field 10 yrds wider would have a huge impact

3. They haven’t gotten really good at converting fields to sixman and cleaning them up within minutes after the game.. even at state there is an 11 man game on the same day as the 6 man games

Quit trying to make this crowded field football. It has a certain charm in its own uniqueness. It's hard enough to defend a 80 x 40 yard field with six good players. Expanding the playing field will lead to even higher scores, more fatigue and as a result, more injuries.

Several years ago the sixman rules made it optional to make it a smaller field or play on 100 yard field. Back then I had never seen a school opt to play on a 100 yard field. If you opened it up then play 5 min. quarters.

pistol":3q4l3wbj said:
BigFan22":3q4l3wbj said:
Leman Saunders":3q4l3wbj said:
why do it?

1. “Just makes sense” isn’t a good argument .. I can say it just makes sense to keep it the same way

2. It would greatly effect gameplay.. specifically widening the field.. Having to defend a field 10 yrds wider would have a huge impact

3. They haven’t gotten really good at converting fields to sixman and cleaning them up within minutes after the game.. even at state there is an 11 man game on the same day as the 6 man games

I second this take on it by pistol. There is a reason Epler set it as 80x40 and it has never changed since 1934, because it fits the game play better. If anything there is an argument to be made about making it a little smaller to mimic the 11man ratio of players to total field area.

Leman Saunders":e8k5uq80 said:
pistol":e8k5uq80 said:
BigFan22":e8k5uq80 said:
Leman Saunders":e8k5uq80 said:
why do it?

I second this take on it by pistol. There is a reason Epler set it as 80x40 and it has never changed since 1934, because it fits the game play better. If anything there is an argument to be made about making it a little smaller to mimic the 11man ratio of players to total field area.
The only change that would make sense is to narrow the width of the field. As far as I am concerned if it ain't broke don't fix it.

FCSA football":2resxrw1 said:
Simple answer: if you want a 100 yard field, play 11 man.
Question answered, problem solved!
Just saying..........

I just feel like at some point we are only hurting ourselves with this mentality.

Back