Loss in sixman coaching world.

HP Drifter

11-man fan
Monte Moore, long time sixman coach and basketball coach passed away this morning of apparent heart attack. He was 59. Our prayers go out to his family.

Did not know about Grayum Hart, I visited with him several times...for those who dont know...in my opinion you can thank Grayum for the widespread use of the J-Bird offense, first coach to really be successful using it in the state championship era and his players at May, namely Phil Mitchell and Mitch Lee took his offense and formed it into what it is today.

Grayum was often imitated, but never duplicated in his offense. Grayum was running the unbalanced offense before a lot of the so called "gurus " of the jaybird were born. Just saying

The originator of the Jaybird coached at Paint Rock and Lometa. This was in the 60's what he did turned into the Jaybird. Paul Pasqua helped some also.

Ed Poehls at Blackwell ran a an offense that would now be called a "jbird" (a term that didnt exist until Jayton ran it in 84-89...Phil Mitchell coach...who played at May for Hart who ran it...I digress) in the 1960s and 70s as well...the coach who truly originated it was probably running it in the 1930s

This is all a big digression from the post, Hart popularized the offense by taking May to State in 1976 and 77 and it lived on through his players turned coaches is the point

Couldn't agree more about Monte Moore. I always enjoyed our talks in the weight room when he would come and work out. What a great man we lost this week.

he was out of coaching before then. He was a class guy and great coach. He is one of the folks that current coaches owe for the coaching school and innovations in sixman we have today.

Back