chirp

Well I had a real nice Ribeye at Billy's in Ruidoso Saturday..................... Oh....... You meant concession stand grub..............

Its so dead in here any grub will do my friend.

They closed down 8th St Meat Market in Temple. Sad....so very very sad.

So sad I started making my own smoker. I started uncapping my propane tank yesterday:)

Aaron Franklin has a good video of how he makes his smokers. Don't know if it's on his website. I have it on my dvr from his pbs series

As this thread has already digressed from concession stand fare (does anybody out there still make real beef chili, not with ground beef, not Wolf's pork & beef)... I' d never been to World Famous Coopers. Saw the prices on line for the Cowtown location and skipped it. Passing through Llano a couple of weeks ago I had to try it.
Should have stuck to the brisket I guess. Not that many places serve beef ribs anymore. They were out of advertised Cabrito. The ribs were $22 a pound. 3 are a pound. Never seen so much fat on a piece of meat in my life. What meat there was other than right on the bone was tough and chewy. Good flavor regarding the seasoning. Wife's pork rib's were "ok".

Coopers is way over hyped....... I used to eat there on a regular basis when Tommy had it back in the late 60's early 70's. You got value for your dollar. Now about all you get is expectation.....
Next time try Lairds south of courthouse on 16. He was pitmaster at Coopers when it was Coopers.

smokey.. im just goimg with a 250 gallon basic offset with 4 pull out racks, standard flow.

whups in marlin is serving up pretty good q. never had anything i wouldnt call quality.

whats the bbq joint thats built in an old water tower (i think) as you come back from gordon towards lampassas? they were pretty good.

ugggh, i cant reemmber. we just got through getting our ass whipped.. not sure i remember much on the drive home. haha

i dont think ive ever had real chunk beef chilli. Even the homemade i have had has always been ground beef.

I like to take beef chuck or shoulder clod and cube it in 1" pieces brown it and make chili from that. NO TOMATO OR TOMATO SAUCE. Just garlic onion cumin New Mexico red chilis and whatever else I have laying around.........

smokeyjoe53":3ut00kgd said:
I like to take beef chuck or shoulder clod and cube it in 1" pieces brown it and make chili from that. NO TOMATO OR TOMATO SAUCE. Just garlic onion cumin New Mexico red chilis and whatever else I have laying around.........

A dead cat, armadillo? No wine or beer? No masa?

Old Bearkat":1b2db21b said:
smokeyjoe53":1b2db21b said:
And if are ever in Marble falls, try Inmans BBQ.

When did Inman's move from Llano?
The Inmans in MF was started by Lester Inmans brother. Lester opened the one in llano and was probably more well known. Lester originated smoked turkey sausage ..........

I though these were interesting from the International Chili Society

There is little doubt that cattle drivers and trail hands did more to popularize the dish throughout the Southwest than anybody else, and there is a tale that we heard one frosty night in a Texican bar in Marfa, Texas, about a range cook who made chili along all the great cattle trails of Texas. He collected wild oregano, chile peppers, wild garlic, and onions and mixed it all with the fresh-killed beef or buffalo - or jackrabbit, armadillo, rattlesnake, or whatever he had at hand - and the cowhands ate it like ambrosia. And to make sure he had an ample supply of native spices wherever he went, he planted gardens along the paths of the cattle drives - mostly in patches of mesquite - to protect them from the hooves of the marauding cattle. The next time the drive went by there, he found his garden and harvested the crop, hanging the peppers and onions and oregano to dry on the side of the chuck wagon. The cook blazed a trail across Texas with tiny, spicy gardens.

Chili Con Carne

Cut up as much meat as you think you will need (any kind will do, but beef is probably best) in pieces about the size of a pecan. Put it in a pot, along with some suet (enough so as the meat won't stick to the sides of the pot), and cook it with about the same amount of wild onions, garlic, oregano, and chiles as you have got meat. Put in some salt. Stir it from time to time and cook it until the meat is as tender as you think it's going to get.

2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 pound pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup suet
¼ cup pork fat
3 medium-sized onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart water
4 ancho chiles
1 serrano chile
6 dried red chiles
1 tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
Salt to taste

If fall ever comes for more than a half day, I think I may have to try it:)

I like to make a pot every few months, eat on it a few days then freeze in small freezer bags. Nearly always have a little chili around........ That recipe you posted is almost identical to the one I use...... Got it from my grandfather who "went up the trail" as a 10 year old cook's helper & later opened a cafe. I've been told that this was the recipe he used. Mine doesn't include pork and the beef is described simply as "trimmings".........

I'm not a Chilihead or member of CASI but putting pork in it is as bad as beans to me. I've made a supper of beans, cheese, onions and crackers before. I love bacon for breakfast or crumbled on a salad, ham sandwiches. Chili originated as a way to use the "trimmings", the cheapest cut. Read about the chili queens of San Antonio. It was also dried into "bricks" to be put in a pot of water over a campfire on the trail.
I just use Wick Fowlers and Chili or Stew meat (beef) from HEB, diced a little more as the chunks are a little large.
If you ever get over that way try out the Austin Chili Parlor. Decent stuff. It once brought me back to life as a late breakfast after a night at the Broken Spoke.

Back