Question for the Coaches

11-man fan
Good Morning Gentlemen, If you haven't seen I’m trying to start an adult football league in Central Texas. The problem I’m having is finding insurance coverage. My question to you is, how do the schools cover their players for injuries?

So far the only thing I can find is Liability coverage for the league, players, coaches, and field owners. I have been unsuccessful in finding sports related injury coverage.

Actually, schools can purchase accident/injury insurance for all sorts of sports and activities. While schools can require that kids involved in sports and other activities have health insurance, there's not a whole lot of enforcement of that rule.

For example, if daddy loses his job halfway through the football season and loses insurance, how often does the kid quit the team?

Schools (including private schools) may have liability insurance which may or may not cover sports injuries (I know our
school's liability policy does not). Although you can sign (and have parents sign) waivers up the ying-yang, they often are not worth the paper they are printed on. A smart lawyer will try to prove some neglience on the school's behalf and get any insurance or assets. And it's messy.

There are a number of companies that specialize in school sports/sports camp insurance.

Policies are usually secondary to any insurance carried by the parents (although it is primary if the kid is covered by Medicaid) and aren't the highest payers in the world ... they may only pay a limited amount and word to the wise on parents -- if you can negotiate prices with the health providers you can avoid being charged the full-rate sucker price (sometimes as much as 8-10 times the rate most insurance carriers pay).

A lot of these policies have 25-100K maximums, but you can buy a catastrophic coverage.

But I'm not sure how many of these policies are available for adult leagues. Perhaps the league could carry some sort of liability insurance (which would be real pricey).

Thanks for the info guys. I did alot of calling and both of you are right, but.....

"Tackle" Football is the one sport that inusrance companies will not "write" for Adults. Like lifegate said you can find it all day long for youths, but once you hit that 19yr mark its pretty much non existant "except" for extreme sports and that type of insurance is highly expensive.

However, You can get liability coverage for the team, field owners, players, coach and league officials for about $450.00 a year per team.

I also found out, of all places, AFLAC will sell you an "accidental" insurance policy for about $40.00 a year per adult, and it will cover you if you get hurt from playing in "any" sport. AFLAC said that only certain states allow you to make a claim on a policy like this and Texas is on of them. Im not really sure how come the state gets involved, but I'm glad I live in Texas.

So for those that don't have insurance a 40.00 monthly accidental insurance policy sounds like your best bet. I also heard this is good as a secondary policy as well.

good food for thought anyway.

We feel it could be a good way to get people envolved back into their communities. Technically this will be no different than what the bigger towns have done for years. We'll just have to drive a little farther :)

Back