Cell Phones...

topher80

11-man fan
So I maybe one of the last few people in North America not to have one. Back in late 2007/early 2008, I found I was spending far too much time on my crappy Sony Ericsson phone. I gave it up. I have not owned one since. My wife has a pay-as-you-go phone but that is only for travel and I'm not sure if it even has money on the rare occasion when we do travel...

My students and colleagues at work look at me like I have two heads when I tell them this... anyone else here in the club of no phones? It's not that I don't want one but I don't need one. I work a 1/2 mile from home and have no friends (LOL) so what is the point in spending $50-$75 a month?!?!

Your not totally alone Toper. I had a no contract flip phone 3-4 years ago. Seems like my wife or kids were 90% of the calls always wanting me to do something or stop and bring something home. They're great for an emergency away from home but I ran out of minutes once and never bought any more. Don't miss it much.
Now their face is always glued to the damn thing, even while "watching" TV or at a game. They get PO'd when I try to actually talk to them, they're often just playing games. I'm sure with all the App's they're very useful as Granger and Cowboy will attest. I'm grateful for the instant scores. But trying to type a text on those itty bitty characters frustrates me to no end. Squinting to watch a NFL or College game, much less a movie or TV show is just beyond me. I can pick up the phone to call a friend. I'd rather watch my big screen tv that I pay too much for the satellite service for in the first place. To top it all off they (or often I) pay way too much for this privilege. Nice to be able to call them whenever I want to though, if they will answer in the middle of a game, text, or whatever. I know I'm old fashioned, over the hill, but stick your fart smone up your ying yang and call me on the land line or e-mail me. To each his own.

I am also very grateful for the instant scores that technology has brought us however I am with you 51eleven, no one converses anymore... at family functions anyone between the age of 12-30 just sit there with the heads down staring at a screen. Any attempt to ask how their life is going or future plans to marry, etc. is met with annoyed grunts. Cell phones are wonderful because they can help people in emergency situations however smartphones are horrible because they have taken away young people's ability to be alone with their thoughts for more 30 seconds. LOL I do wish they'd ban these things from school or at least make the kids leave them in their lockers.

I'm only 35 however I refuse to get one of these blasted things until absolutely, positively necessary... which I hope is never.

It's all a matter of perspective...... I depended on a cell phone for business reasons. When "smart phones" were introduced, I resisted them for a while saying I had no need for one but when I finally broke down and got one they became an indispensable tool.
Now that I have retired, I have relegated my computer use to maybe once a month but still use my phone for pleasure. I've gone from 30-40 calls to maybe 1 a day (after screening and rejecting potential business calls).
I've got close friends who used to tease me unmercifully about my cell use; now they are slaves to theirs using them for things no one would have considered a few years ago.
Are cell phones essential for me? No but they are very convenient........

Many people seem to enjoy my smart phone use. Video clips of games posted within minutes of the play, score updates, etc. 99% of my Internet access is done from my phone.

What Cowboy needs to do is develop a 6 man football game app... phones are perfect for 6 man as 11man is too crowded on such a small screen... make a fortune! :)

I still rely on an old flip phone. Use it like a walky-talky only long distance. Can read a text, but don't expect one in return, it ain't gonna happen.

gohorns40":sy6xz605 said:
We gave up our land line 3-4 years ago. The only calls we got on it was from telemarketers....

Problem is ... the telemarketers have figured how to reach cell phones.

As for "smart phones," I kinda wish I could find one that was "not smarter than me" phones.

I still have a dumb phone. I would get a smart one but with a kid in college and one fixing to follow, it is a little expensive. As for the telemarketers, I have friend here at work who has started to try to talk dirty to them. So far, it is working for him. By dirty, the farthest he has gotten is asking what they are wearing. He said they haven't called back. He also had a security salesman call and ask him if he needed an upgrade. He explained to the gentleman that he had very large dogs that alarmed him and would attack if approached. In addition, he told the guy he had God on his side, and if someone got past both of those that he had guns. He says that guy hasn't called back either!

I keep trying to get rid of our land line, but it is actually cheaper to bundle it with the cable and internet.

granger":28yvu7rr said:
I keep trying to get rid of our land line, but it is actually cheaper to bundle it with the cable and internet.

I could not if I wanted to because cell reception at my house is very weak.

Back