Any New Teams Out There?

mcdeavitt

11-man fan
Thought I'd start a new discussion line here: this part of the message board seemed lonely. Homeschool teams are, by nature, a looser set of organizations than the other categories on this website. We don't have a mechanism to notify each other of our existence or provide help to new teams starting up. On the other hand, it seems like momentum is growing and there may be enough teams to start a homeschool league (or at least a confederation) within the next five years. I would be interested in any responses to that concept.

I am writing as the committee chair and present coach of the "Bryan Christian Homeschool" (Brazos Valley Christian Home Educators Association) Mustangs. We have a good relationship with several regular public and private opponents. I hear from occasional conversations with coaches that some teams will not play home schoolers for various reasons. That's OK, we're involved in this to invest in the character and maturity of our young men, to nurture a strong family atmosphere among our team families (on and off the field), to enjoy the game of football, and (Lord willing) win a game from time to time.

So, here are the homeschool teams I am aware of (besides our team):

Austin Christian Homeschool
San Antonio FEAST
Centex Homeschool (temple area)
Parker Terrant Homeschool

Are there any other teams out there?

Sean McDeavitt
BVCHEA Football Committee Chair and 6-man coach

Sean,

In addition to the other teams you have listed:

"Austin Christian Homeschool
San Antonio FEAST
Centex Homeschool (temple area)
Parker Terrant Homeschool"

you need to also include:

The Tribe (Covenant Christian in Bastrop) (a Homeschool Coop that also has some players from local private schools that do not have HS football) and Lubbock Home School Football (Troy Campbell is the coach) (They played a JV schedule last year).

That makes 7 teams (including BV CHEA) I am aware of and this does not include Annapolis Christian in Corpus who currently play an independant schedule and allow a few homeschoolers to participate. There is also a homeschool team playing in the Dallas area, but they play 11 man.

Over the past 2 years, I have received calls from parents interested in starting up homeschool teams in Corpus Christi, Bulverde (just north of San Antonio),Laredo, Wichita Falls and Marble Falls. But so far nothing has developed. As we all know, starting up and maintaining a football team is more difficult than basketball.

There was a homeschool/club team in the Houston area last season, but they disbanded after only one game.

Point is there appears to be sufficient interest (and teams) to look toward putting something together for a playoff system in 2010.

The Tribe currently is a member of TCAL and I believe Austin has also joined. Which means they will have TCAL playoffs at the end of each regular season. I do not know if this would keep them from participating in a "Homeschool" playoff system.

As we discussed at the IronMan, I would really like to see the homeschool teams work towards developing a statewide playoff. In addition, I believe homeschoolers should also work towards developing a uniform set of eligibility rules that would bring more comfort to our Public and Private friends. We already have state tournaments in basketball and baseball, why not football?

I, like you, would be very interested in hearing what the other homeschool teams think.

Rush Cone
Head Coach
San Antonio FEAST

Here are the homeschool teams that are in TCAL. I am not sure who will play football in 09

Paris HS
Red River HS
MT. Pleasant HS
Sulphur Springs HS
Austin HS

You can visit t-cal.org for more info. We (TCAL) are meeting soon to discuss a home school division. As you know, this will not be easy. My recommendation is to start out with a 2A division with home school teams as well as the larger private schools in TCAL. I know there are many issues that must be addressed before this could actually work. It is a shame that no one has made a move to bring home school teams in to their program. My prayer is that TCAL will do so with blessings that will appeal to all home school teams. If you have any more questions, I would love to try and answer them.

Thanks!
Billy Helm
Tribe Consolidated

coachbill":3hwtxc00 said:
Hello Coaches,

Here are the homeschool teams that are in TCAL. I am not sure who will play football in 09

Paris HS
Red River HS
MT. Pleasant HS
Sulphur Springs HS
Austin HS

You can visit t-cal.org for more info. We (TCAL) are meeting soon to discuss a HS division. As you know, this will not be easy. My recommendation is to start out with a 2A division with HS teams as well as the larger private schools in TCAL. I know there are many issues that must be addressed before this could actually work. It is a shame that no one has made a move to bring HS teams in to their program. My prayer is that TCAL will do so with blessings that will appeal to all HS teams. If you have any more questions, I would love to try and answer them.

Thanks!
Billy Helm
Tribe Consolidated

Heard of another new homeschool group ... Tomball Homeschool Warriors; may only be playing a JV level schedule. There's also a group in Lubbock and a couple forming in the DFW area.

Will try to get a list ready soon as we plan to invite them to our coaching clinic in Seguin on June 26th.

CHANT Chargers is a brand new homeschool group this year. We will have a Junior High/Middle School six man team for this fall. We are still looking to schedule some games!!

Cathy Sourber
CHANT Chargers Football Administrator
[email protected]
972-782-8678
972-951-8181

Christian
Homeschooled
Athletes of
North
Texas

currently playing Basketball and Six Man Football

Howdy all,
We are a new home school 6-man football team in/around Plainview, Texas (between Amarillo/Lubbock). The High Plains Home School Athletic Association is forming to support the High Plains Bombers. We are affiliated with the Integrity Home Educators of Plainview. We have a Varsity team this year because two of our players ages (17), but are playing down to JV wherever possible due to our skill level and lack of experience. Next season (2010) we will have a JH team, possibly a JV, and likely another Varsity squad. The thought of a Home School Football League is intriguing and I look forward to seeing how this could work. There are several private schools, a few home school teams, and several public schools in our area that support our 6-man formation this year, and we are thankful to give our young men a shot at a football season because of it.

I am grateful to sites like this that have made the possibility of forming a football program a manageable reality; thanks for all the great info, links and posts!

I look forward to seeing some of you on the field and at the clinics.

Coach Les Alexander
High Plains Bombers
[email protected]
[email protected]
806-869-5955

Lubbock Titans here. This is our fourth year with a JH team, and third year for Varsity. The kids seem to be really starting to "get" it. We are very optimistic about having a good year. We still have about 5 open game dates, so if any of you have a bye week and would like to play, give me call or email. We are willing to travel (if it's not to HOUSTON! :) )
Grateful to have the forum, here.
David Acuff
806-773-2250

UPDATED 04/10/2011

Guys ... this topic is a little outdated. Here's the list as I know of homeschool 6-man teams in Texas. There may be one 11-man homeschool team in the DFW area as well. A number of these are members of T-CAL. I do have contact names/e-mails/phone nos. on many of them if needed. Works out to close to 20 active home school teams. And since this is a rather fluid group, I wouldn't be suprised to see the number change ... up or down ... before August and September roll around.

CHANT - Christian Homeschool Athletes of North Texas (Melissa TX)
Tyler Home Education Athletics in Tyler
Temple Centex Home School
High Plains Home School Athletic Association (Tulia ... may be inactive)
Lubbock Titans Home School/LHSCAA
Texas Christian Home Educators (DFW - Crowley)
Austin Christian Home School
El Paso Panthers Home School
San Marcos Area Christian Coaltion Homeschool
San Antonio FEAST Homeschool
Tomball Homeschool Warriors
Bryan Christian Home School (BVCHEA)
Parker Tarrant Homeschool (Aledo)
Texas Home Educators Sports Assn (THESA - DFW/Colleyville)
ECHO Bell County Home School (Holland)
Bastrop Tribe Consolidated
Williamson County Home School (Round Rock)
Weatherford Express Home School
Wise County Christian Home School (Decatur)
Stephenville Faith Home School

I have names of several that may have never got off the ground ... they include

Longview Christian Home Educators Coop
San Angelo Christian Homeschool Association
Paris Home School Group
Christian Home School Educators (Sulphur Springs)
Mt Pleasant Christian Home Scholol Group (Pittsburg)
Red River Home School Group (Whitesboro)

As of May 22, 2011 , here's the home school groups I show playing any high school six-man football:

Independent (no league)

CHANT (North Texas/Melissa)
Tyler HEAT (Tyler)
Texas Christian Home Educators (Crowley)
Temple Centex
Victoria Home School Cobras
Austin Christian Home School
Lubbock Titans/LHSCAA
Wylie Saints Home School (junior high only)

T-CAL members

San Marcos Christian Home School Coalition
FEAST (San Antonio)
Tomball Home School Warriors
Bryan Christian Home School/BVCHEA
THESA (N Richland Hills)
Parker Tarrant Home School (Ft Worth area)
El Paso Panthers Home School
Bastrop Tribe Consolidated
Williamson County Home School
Weatherford Express Home School
Wise County Christian Home School
Stephenville Faith Home School

Just wanted to let everyone know about the Wylie Saints. We are a new 6 man junior high football team in the Sachse, Wylie, Murphy area northeast of Dallas. We are looking forward to a great season of football! A state homeschool playoff would be fun. Have a great 2011 season!
Tom Nicklas is our head coach! We are not affiliated with any particular homeschool group.

Back