Union Hill new hire

CowboyP

Six-man expert
From the superintendent at Union Hill:

Cowboy,

About a week ago I visited with you on some openings for our coaching staff. I did tell you that I would not let any information out until it was all final and the coaches let their kids know. Union Hill ISD did hire Shane Mallory as our AD and Football coach. Coach Carter is stepping into an assistant principal role and still coaching baseball. Filling these two positions like we have done is a win win situation for our school and kids.

I may not be very vocal on websites or any other form of media (I try to stay out of the media). However, I do know sometimes coaches take a little heat from media and get labeled as talent hunters when they move. I want to let you know, sometimes it is the schools and superintendents hunting for the talent. I was the one that contacted Shane for this job in February. I saw an opportunity where I could maximize my staff with a great coach and motivator of kids with Nate Carter in an administrative role, and a great coach and motivator in Shane Mallory as the AD and football coach. When it comes to staffing I want to make sure my students are surrounded by the best people in the profession. The moves and hires we make here at Union Hill ISD will always be in the best interest of kids.

I hope that you can relay some portion of this message, because I think it is important for people to understand, coaches (and superintendents) move for many reasons. Sometimes it is to seek talent, accept a challenge, make life better for their family, or money. Sometime we just move because God has stirred us to do so, and He has a plan for our life. I am glad to have friends such as Nate Carter and Shane Mallory that believe in what they are doing here at Union Hill ISD.

Dr. Troy Batts

Superintendent

Union Hill ISD

Great hire. Will miss not getting a chance to coach against Coach Carter but look forward to seeing what Coach Mallory does at Union Hill. Should be a fun district season.

I cant answer for anyone else. Obviously I didnt set out to be somewhere for a year and then leave. I put my heart and soul into what I do. It is a tough business we are in. I have been doing this for 10 years now. Opportunities present themselves to coaches just as they do for anyone else. If I had never looked to better my situation for my family, then I think I would be doing my wife and kids wrong. If the school I was employed with didn't want me around, they would cut me loose without hesitating. Not real sure why its different when its the coach who is leaving. But oh well...

This particular move is one that will put my wife in the same place as me for the first time. She drives 2 and a half hours to get to work right now. She will also be on my schedule, which is huge for us. Closer to her family.... Lakes, Trees, ect.......

Hermleigh has been great to me and my family. The kids are great, the facilities are great, the staff is great. I have no problems here, and I was not looking for a job at all. My old superintendent who i worked for in Throckmorton offered this.

Im sure i have opened the door for all kinds of comments. Before you get on here like a keyboard stud and run me down, i want you to think about weather or not you would move to advance your career or to better your family situation.

or better yet, you are welcome to give me a call. 254-631-7626

Congrats coach, wish you the best. Moving to better your families life is a positive move. I applaud you for doing so!! Best wishes man!!

There shouldn't be any public flogging for coach, he has every right to move on the business of coaching is a tuff sport and when the school pulls the rug out there are few tears shed for the coach who can be hero or goat depending on the wind, congrats and best of luck its not easy to let a good coach go but as part of the business it must be done sometimes for his or hers own good, as someone who hold the power to hire and fire its never easy either way but in this situation coach made the correct move, I will say I commend you for the courage shown to invite anyone to question your choice, as I'm sure you've told many players over the years have a short memory and get refocused again good luck....

Black-Gold":3p1v4ydu said:
I cant answer for anyone else. Obviously I didnt set out to be somewhere for a year and then leave. I put my heart and soul into what I do. It is a tough business we are in. I have been doing this for 10 years now. Opportunities present themselves to coaches just as they do for anyone else. If I had never looked to better my situation for my family, then I think I would be doing my wife and kids wrong. If the school I was employed with didn't want me around, they would cut me loose without hesitating. Not real sure why its different when its the coach who is leaving. But oh well...

This particular move is one that will put my wife in the same place as me for the first time. She drives 2 and a half hours to get to work right now. She will also be on my schedule, which is huge for us. Closer to her family.... Lakes, Trees, ect.......

Hermleigh has been great to me and my family. The kids are great, the facilities are great, the staff is great. I have no problems here, and I was not looking for a job at all. My old superintendent who i worked for in Throckmorton offered this.

Im sure i have opened the door for all kinds of comments. Before you get on here like a keyboard stud and run me down, i want you to think about weather or not you would move to advance your career or to better your family situation.

or better yet, you are welcome to give me a call. 254-631-7626

Coach,

As someone who has been in your shoes before and has been doing this for 20+ years, I think it's safe to say that it's nobody's stinkin' business why you made the moves you made and you don't have to explain it or justify it to anyone but your family and your new employer. Welcome to the district and I look forward to meeting you in August. Let me know if you need anything.

Coach Bronkhorst

Coach Mallory just doesn't strike me as an East Texas kind of guy, more of a hill country type. But it should be a challenge. I know a coach just a little south of there that would give his eye teeth to get back out west. Good luck coach.

Congrats Coach Mallory. Doesn't matter why you left, because most people who have something negative to say, would give their right arm to have a school come after them.

Amen to that Coach Satcher, some of us would give our right mountain oyster just to get an interview. Some of us may have to head back to the arctic regions of Texas.

Good luck Shane. Enjoy the pine trees, rivers, lakes and humidity. Holler at me if you pass through the Strawn/Stephenville area and have time for a bite.

Back