UIL Executive Committee meeting. Zephyr

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, Texas —The State Executive Committee of the University Interscholastic League will convene at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, December 10 at the Austin Marriott North in Round Rock to determine the eligibility of student athletes and discuss alleged rules violations.

A schedule of tomorrow’s hearings follows.

HEARING (AA-EE)
9:00 a.m.

AA.

Zephyr High School: Section 1208(i)(1), Ejection from a Contest, Jeremy Phillips.

The State Executive Committee meeting is an open meeting and all interested parties are welcome to attend.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, Texas —The State Executive Committee of the University Interscholastic League met Tuesday to hand down decisions on eligibility of student-athletes and issue penalties for UIL rule violations.

Zephyr High School head football coach Jeremy Phillips was denied an appeal of an ejection from a contest and was issued the automatic penalty of a public reprimand, one-year probation, and additional training.

--END--

If somethings been posted on this on here before I guess I missed it. Does anyone know why the Coach was ejected? Why some students were ineligible?

51eleven":1oyzcxj3 said:
If somethings been posted on this on here before I guess I missed it. Does anyone know why the Coach was ejected? Why some students were ineligible?

Given the probation and additional training, I too, am curious about what happened.

That is the mandatory punishment from UIL for a coaches first ejection from a contest. It did not just apply to Phillips, but is universal across the board. UIL will always side with the referees, not even worth the trip to Austin.

Was it a football game or basketball?
Jeremy was always easy going and slow to anger as a kid. It must have been something pretty bad to cause him to get kicked out of the game.

Bluecat98":339jso9u said:
That is the mandatory punishment from UIL for a coaches first ejection from a contest. It did not just apply to Phillips, but is universal across the board. UIL will always side with the referees, not even worth the trip to Austin.

Thanks for clarifying.

I agree with Smokey about the officials. And it is true at all levels. As long as TASO is in control there will be no changes. There is no repercussion for officials when they do a bad job. TASO is just a "Good Old Boys" club. Until there is a system of evaluating officials and improving training it will never get any better. And don't think it is just at the six man level. Last few years have watched a lot of 2A thru 5A and the quality of the officials is just as bad.

Officiating has gotten bad in football and basketball. Their needs to be something put in place to hold officials accountable just like their is for coaches. There is a shortage of refs due to coaches,parents and fans yelling but it is sometimes brought on by the refs. I normally keep quiet at games but the officiating is getting worse every year.

Bad officials means hope for the best. No officials means game over. There has to be some way to draw some good, knowledgeable, unbiased, thick skinned individuals into officiating.

Yes, I think their is. Better Pay and Better Treatment. Officials are working a part time job. They are not professionals. It amazes me the vile treatment I've seen of some officials in all sports, as if it's a personal thing. It's no wonder we have a shortage of officials. So how would you hold them accountable? Take away their pay? Fire them? File Charges because you're offended? It's not the refs that need to be tough skinned in my opinion. It's coaches and parents. Maybe coaches and parents should be the one taking courses on how to treat refs.

Johnny South":2nxbw0nt said:
Bad officials means hope for the best. No officials means game over. There has to be some way to draw some good, knowledgeable, unbiased, thick skinned individuals into officiating.

I've had the opportunity to officiate in the past but my work and then family schedule just doesn't permit the time it takes to do so effectively. What's preventing any of you "experts" on doing so and providing back to the game and the kids? I'm not being critical of anyone's reasoning (age, schedule, etc.) But please don't be an armchair official if you've never done it before. And I'm not talking about officiating 5th grade football. Those who sit in the stands and have never done it themselves have no idea how much faster the game is on the field and what the philosophies of the game present compared to the rules of the game.

Again, my question above is not meant to be critical. Just asking!

Sorry RedRaider, I'm being totally critical. I'm tired of not being able to find Refs to officiate games because Idiotic fans think it's the job of the refs to put up with their moronic yelling, not just ref the game.

techster2000":3fxk0zno said:
Sorry RedRaider, I'm being totally critical. I'm tired of not being able to find Refs to officiate games because Idiotic fans think it's the job of the refs to put up with their moronic yelling, not just ref the game.

I hear ya! I was just trying to present it in a nice way during the holiday season. :) I've always said that 98% of the fans in that sit and complain every game are idiots. And that's probably being generous. Certainly there are times when an official misses a call or even enforces a rule incorrectly. But it always amazes me how (according to the fans) it's okay for a player to drop multiple passes a game or miss multiple tackles or blocks a game but if an official misses one holding or OPI/DPI in a game, that official is terrible and should be held accountable.

I have no problem with bad officiating as long as it’s consistently bad on both sides. When an obvious bias is displayed, that really chaps me...........

I think it has changed from when I was officiating in college. I ran into some this year that I thought were questionable. I had one that told me there had to be obvious force. Those are fine, its's the guys who do not make a call all game long that kill me. That and I was taught that as a line judge you do not move once you spot the ball. I see line judges who do not hold their spot. I try not get on refs and I shake their hands before and after the game. It is a hard job and I appreciate what they do.

Why name them? What does that accomplish, other than put a target on their back. They are not governed by the UIL. A coach can always send film to TASO if he/she has a gripe with an official. They usually do a pretty good job of training the official if he/she needs training. Remember, the coaches are the professionals. This is a part time gig for most officials.

I think this happened in J-Boro/Zephyr football game. There was multiple flags thrown on the play and then coach was ejected.

Back