The end of football -- (serious article)

freeagent

Six-man pro
In today's (2/11) Express News. Simply, the writer is bringing up the scenario that the risk of law suits for long-term brain injury by young men years and years later is going to make the cost of playing football too high for pee-wee, school, and at some point college programs, which will dry up the pool of professional athletes. Not to mention the liability equipment (read helmet) makers aren't going to want to absorb, either.

Wasn't it Shakespeare who said, "Kill all the lawyers?"

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/art ... 305781.php

Could head injuries threaten football's future?

By Douglas Pils
San Antonio Express News

Eight years from now, we should be witnesses to a grand celebration of the NFL's 100th anniversary, even though it was called the American Professional Football Association from 1920-21.

We'll update the 75th anniversary team, and honor dynasties whose coaches don't need first names — Lambeau, Lombardi, Halas, Noll, Landry, Walsh and Belichick.

Now, imagine at the same time we already notice America's grand billion dollar sport slipping away from us.

The reasons come down to simple economics and good health.

Our nation's top athletes are starting to play other sports because brain injury and the lifelong effects of bashing your head into another human being have made football too expensive, both in dollars and lives.

Two economists, Tyler Cowen and Kevin Grier, collaborated on an article that hit Grantland.com on Friday that asked a dramatic question — “What would the end of football look like?”

Their hypothesis is this: Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and the rise of liability lawsuits over head injuries eventually makes it impossible for insurance companies to insure colleges and high schools against similar lawsuits.

It's at those levels where kids with brains not yet fully developed are incurring the most damage with little or nothing to show for it but glory days to reminisce.

With fewer teams to play for, basketball and baseball see an influx of talent, and some turn to alternatives such as lacrosse or soccer.

Football talent dries up. Conferences where football doesn't define most of their universities' mission — Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC, Ivy and other East Coast schools — drop the sport.

Advertisers spend their dollars elsewhere. That shrinks cable TV deals, and fewer people, nationally at least, will watch a diminishing product.

For many, that's a scary theory, and it sounds like science fiction.

But think about who could be at the forefront of this revolution — parents. They are the ones to decide if sending their boys to the field because that's what we've always done is really worth it.

The article posits that football will be left to those in the southeast, Texas and Oklahoma, essentially becoming a game played by the poor, those from broken and uneducated homes and foreigners.

Aside from the sport becoming a regional affair, that sounds like characteristics of athletes in another sport where support has waned over the past century: boxing.

Back to the issue of parents: I have no doubt the sport helped me, giving me lifelong friends and extra parents in coaches who kept me out of trouble when trouble was there for the taking.

I took my share of blows to the head in nine years of playing; the worst when a junior varsity tight end ran a practice route over the middle that the varsity linebacker knew was coming. And not long after some smelling salts, we were usually right back out there.

We laugh about those moments now. But are some of those brain-rattling hits the reason for our memory lapses, or is it just us getting older?

I'm one who thought poorly of people who said they would never let their kids play football.

Now, as evidence mounts to the dangers of young minds in a helmet meant to protect the skull but little of the brain that slams around inside, that thought changes.

Like one of my former teammates wrote after reading the Grantland article, we're glad our boys are more interested in baseball and basketball.

Does that make us leaders in a growing revolution? Time will tell.

[email protected]

Sounds like the warning bell has been rung. The scumbag trial lawyers are going to make football their next conquest in their campaign to sissify America.

CowboyP":2jw1f9t6 said:
I'll back football. Wait - does that mean I'm a poor, uneducated, redneck?

If you didn't vote for Obama, you are. That's what the people who did the study and wrote the article will say.

oldfat&bald":6z7n6veu said:
CowboyP":6z7n6veu said:
I'll back football. Wait - does that mean I'm a poor, uneducated, redneck?

If you didn't vote for Obama, you are. That's what the people who did the study and wrote the article will say.
Woooohoooooo! That's reason enough to admit being a redneck! Obama, and his liberal underlings will do all they can to take the things we love. Seriously, is football really that dangerous? I don't think so. Taking a car ride is more dangerous - IMO.

This is no defense of trial lawyers by any stretch, but it's the ignorant juries that make the final decision.

How is it that Rugby has been around for at least 20 years longer than and no one has sued them out of existence? They don't even wear pads, and the contact is brutal.

The invention of the hard-shell helmet and the facemask was the beginning of the end for football. Well that, and scum bag lawyers.

This article - and this topic - brings up a serious question that is open for debate, one my attitude about has changed dramatically.

In the interest of full disclosure, it is no secret I am a basketball junkie. Love the sport and love coaching it. But I love six-man football too. I don't think anyone who knows me would doubt my football credentials - thanks to some amazing kids and two wonderful communities (whitharral and Garden city) i am the proud owner of three state championship rings. I've spoken at multiple clinics, on offense and defense, feel like I know a thing or two about the game and love what it teaches kids, just like all competitive sports. I love the feel of a brisk fall friday night and I will never forget the memories, wonderful experiences, highs an lows I've been able to go through because of this sport.

I have always looked forward to coaching my sons, in every sport, and my oldest entered 7th grade this year. I voluntarily moved from a varsity coordinator to JH coach in part to be involved with my oldest sons first school football season. His year lasted one half. In our first game he caught a dump off pass out of a tight spread set right before the half and was tackled. Nothing spectacular about the hit, wasn't "de-cleated" didn't get a "slobber-knocker" or whatever you might want to call it. But his head hit the ground fairly hard - we were out of timeouts and we got back to the line quickly and ran one more play on which we scored. I sent in the extra point and my son, as the quarterback, ran the play and we got the extra point. All seemed well until we got into the locker room - he said he was having trouble focusing his vision. We thought he might be dehydrated so we got him some water, but by the time we headed back out, it was obvious he had a concussion. No big deal, I thought - its happened to plenty of kids before and it couldn't be that bad - no one could even remember a hit that "looked" like it could have been that bad. I started coaching as another coach looked at him on the sideline. Within a few minutes, they were getting the ambulance and before the 3rd quarter was over he was on his way to the hospital. I left the game before it was over when my wife called from the ambulance and told me he didn't know who she was.

I'd gone through all the training - I am on our schools concussion protocol team - i thought I knew all the stuff. But he didn't recognize myself or my wife for over 4 hours. The ER doctor and 3 seasoned paramedics all called it the worst concussion they'd ever seen. What i thought would be week or two off actually turned into a week of debilitating, uncontrollable pain at the slightest light or sound. A week later came a trip to the leading nuerologist in Lubbock and admittance to the hospital. Almost two weeks passed before the pain stopped. The headaches lasted the better part of six more. The exceptionally bright young man who was reading Harry Potter books in second grade couldn't comprehend simple paragraphs. The young man who was the district number sense champion in 6th grade struggled for weeks with mathematical computations. As the football season came to a close and he was getting ready for basketball he couldn't run without triggering headaches again. It took till Christmas for him to be back to the kid he was before that hit. God's grace, a fabulous neurologist and the prayers of many faithful people guided his recovery.

I've become a very well read man on the topic of concussions and head trauma - learned more than I ever imagined. Check out the studies, paritcularly the ESPN OUTSIDE THE LINES investigations and the Virginia Tech studies on different helmets and realize the conclusion they come to - the best helmets can almost eliminate skull fractures, but there is no way to keep concussions from happening. You can cradle the skull, but you can't keep the brain from sloshing around inside that cradled skull.

Its changed how I coach - I never want any other parent to experience what we experienced. I will never, ever do anything but err on the side of caution. We get one brain - they can't make a replacement and we can't live without it. If you don't look seriously at that and consciously weigh the very real risks, you don't need to decide to play or let your kid play. I will never allow a kid who MIGHT have a head injury back in a game - and I will openly tell you I don't care if we win or lose because of that decision.

I grew up with Zach Thomas, of Texas Tech and Miami Dolphin fame, and I know he estimated he had 12 - 15 serious concussions just in the NFL. He's already agreed that upon his death his brain will be given to a university in Boston doing the groundbreaking research on head injuries. What happens if those studies reveal things that we, as football fans, coaches, players, etc... don't want to hear?

When my son told me he wasn't sure if he ever wanted to play football again, i didn't question his manhood, didn't tell him he "couldn't let down the team", didn't try to talk him into it. I understood how it could be scary and I surely don't want him to play if he can't play free of fear. I understand why he is hesitant to take that risk - I will never forget the 4 hours he looked at me as a stranger, the intense pain that I couldn't help relieve, the frustration that his brain wouldn't work right. Even though he is at no greater risk now than anyone else, he understands the risks better than anyone else as well. So do I.

I promise you there are no easy answers and I totally understand - better than i hope any readers ever have to - the feelings of the author of the story shared by Lifegate sports

I don't remember anyone ever getting bad concussions back in the day, but then again, almost everyone "got their bell rung" occasionally with no bad consequences afterward. I do think the game has gotten much more violent these days.

This issue really has nothing to do with trial attorneys. They are not scary at all on this issue as the law does not favor plaintiffs on these types of suits. It is the parents and media that will control this issue and that is why it is such a sobering issue. If a parent, particularly momma, continuously sees these types of articles and sees TV pieces on this topic, there is a real possibility he/she will decide to not allow his/her son to play football. And there is not a whole lot a coach can do to change their minds.

Like Coach A said, many of us are learning more about concussion and head injuries than we really ever thought we would have to.

Medical science and imaging technology (faster CAT scans, MRI, PET scans) has given us a better idea of how the brain matures and operates. What some of us called "getting my bell rung" would probably today be called a brain injury.

On one hand, society seems to want us to take risks, but if those risks go bad, there's also a feeling that someone (else) should pay, regardless of their culpability or their interest in warning us about those risks ahead of time.

We've had great improvements in helmet technology -- certainly at a cost (now decent helmets cost in excess of $200-250 or more). Schools and athletic associations have made a focus on training coaches to recognize many of the signs of brain injury and to take steps to have student athletes so injured to get full medical clearance before returning to play. But hey, stuff gets missed. Ask Colt McCoy and the NFL about that one ...

I truly hope the authors of this story are wrong about their conclusions; but I've learned that a lot of things I never thought I'd see in my life have happened ... some for the good and some for the bad.

PS ... My buddy GSB above is an attorney, too. I guess I'd miss him, too. (Just kiddin' Scott!)

Football would not have risen in popularity like it did in the early college days, and later in the professional ranks had the unwashed masses found it boring and uninteresting. That still holds true. But there's a convergence between the fans' love of the game and the TV programming wonks trying to wrench every dollar of value from the product they currently put on the field.

Make no mistake, the NFL is run by monkey-suit wearing desk jockeys from either New Your, LA, or Bristol.

The money offered in college and in the NFL has helped expedite the current generation of super players.

I wonder if there is any correlation between the rise in advertising dollars pumped into college and pro football and the increase in the rate of incidence of head injuries.

Or, could the medical profession be making more of getting one's bell rung than is really there? Someone mentioned the sissification of America (feel free to substitute a 'p' and a 'u' for the 's' and the 'i' to get my more accurate opinion on this). I don't think it is far off the mark.

I don't wear tin foil hats, nor have I bought 15 years worth of food insurance. But I think this is more than just a few doctors figuring out that head trauma is a bad thing. It would not surprise me in the least if some of the same folks in the anti-football crowd also split their time championing the end of the deadly aluminum bat in Little League baseball.

If the haters get their way and you take it to its most absurd end, will playing sandlot games on the school yard be in violation of state and federal law?

If football goes, soccer will go before it. Incidences of severe head injuries are just starting to be looked into in soccer, people in the medical profession, and multiple reputable sources, all state head injuries are just as common in soccer as they are in football and ice hockey, and severe head injures are more likely to occur than in football or hockey due to lack of head protection and the fairly common occurrence of head to head collisions when two people go for the ball at the same time.
For those of you who don't know, I live in a liberal Mid-Atlantic state (Maryland). I played football for a small (by MD standards) prep school that played in a league rated as the 3rd best level of HS football in the country (after Texas 5A and Ohio Division 1). My school also had boys/girls soccer teams that were annually ranked in the top 10 in the nation. At least three of my friends, including one who was a member of the U-17 National Team, were told to stop playing soccer because of repeated head injuries. The doctors solution to keep them in sports: play football. That's right, liberal doctors in a liberal state felt that football was so much safer than soccer that they would allow kids whose head injuries were too bad to play soccer to play football in a league where 280-300 lb linemen were the rule not the exception, and where at least 10-15+ players (from only 7 schools in the league) will get FBS scholarships every year. Soccer is a very popular sport up here, much more than in Texas I would assume, so I have seen the frequency an severity of head injuries in soccer, and it occurs much more frequently than in football from what I have seen.
I think what WILL happen is an adjustment of how coaches run practices, my high school coach has averaged 8 wins (in a max 9-10 game schedule) for the past 20 yrs, turned out at least 5 NFL players, and too many scholarship players to count, all while running a practice that is way ahead of its time. No tackling or even fully wrapping up whatsoever, and no full pads except for 1 day in preseason to make sure the equipment fits right. Add to that only 4 days of 2-a-days, no weight lifting program (his favorite saying is "the guy with the strongest bench press is usually the worst player on the team, I want skilled, fast guys, not guys who are gonna get muscle bound in the weight room."), and very light conditioning (it is the player's responsibility to want to succeed bad enough to get in shape before camp starts). He coaches at by far the smallest school in the league (220 boys, the others male enrollments are 450, 650, 720, 900, 1,200, 1,300), yet the biggest school in the league (roster size 120 varsity, 110 JV, 150 Freshmen) couldn't beat his school (40 varsity, 25 JV) from 2001-2010. In my four years only 1 player was injured to the point where he missed a game, there were never any serious practice injuries, and he has only had 1 severe head injury in 20 yrs of coaching. That is an astounding track record coaches anywhere would be hard pressed to match. I believe there are only so many hits a player can take in a day, week, season, career, etc..., before he starts to break down and the propensity for injury goes through the roof, eliminating hits in practice saves a player for game day, keeps the body rested and recovered and ready to be hit. What furthered my belief in this system was when I got to college and the coach did exactly the opposite, tons of brutal hitting in full pads multiple times a week. I think there were 9 torn ACLs, IN PRACTICE ALONE. Over 20 kids were lost for the season. No contact practices in no more than uppers are the way of the future and possibly the savior of football in America.

Back