Tapps D2 Games

Old76er

Six-man fan
Several good games this week. Both district and non-district

Katy vs San Marcos/ Both teams will play the same hard nose offense and defense that they have played all year. Both teams have pretty good size RB's/LB's. I think this will come down to which team gets more physical out of the gate. I think San Marcos takes this one in a close one.

Temple vs Fredericksburg- Temple has surprised alot of people this year after a not so good finish last season.
Holding van guard to a fairly closer game than the score shows. Crushing Apple springs as well. Fredericksburg as no surprise to anyone looking to make another run at the state title. They have some solid wins on their schedule as well. Taking care of Castle hills and Austin Hill Country. After a loss last week to Medina I look for them to bounce back, if they come back healthy.

Im sure I missed some things or matches.
what are you guys thinking

Easy game for Conroe. Should be over quickly. Senior heavy team that is on a mission. If the Cougars are not in the State Championship game it would be a huge disappointment.

Cougar1414":3hxd0ueq said:
If the Cougars are not in the State Championship game it would be a huge disappointment.

That's funny right there! I think Freddy, Seguin and/or San Marcos might have something to say about that. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, Conroe.......

Not sure how that pans out with splitting the divisions. Seguins a small school and I think Conroe was in the 2nd division for the playoffs last year because they are bigger. Conroe is senior heavy for sure

Good point. And this is exactly why I hate splitting into Division II and Division III. All you have to do it not get last in district and you've made the playoffs. Winning a district title has no meaning in this system. You could get second in district play but get seeded as a #1. How does that make sense? And six first round byes in DIII! In what world of playoff football does that make sense?

Cougar1414":161fxj7z said:
Easy game for Conroe. Should be over quickly. Senior heavy team that is on a mission. If the Cougars are not in the State Championship game it would be a huge disappointment.

So what happened here?? Cougars state title? Injuries?

Katy vs San Marcos
No that was a no defense game right there.

Fredy vs temple
Not a bad game. Did temple have anyone hurt? Fredericksburg healthy?

We had a couple of players out--one of our key defensive guys was out. I'm proud of our guys. It was 28-0 at half, so the second half was actually 22-22. Not necessarily a moral victory, but good showing for a non-district game.

So Temple had key player(s) out, did Fredericksburg have anyone out?

Anyone have any info on the Katy vs San Marcos game or the Baytown vs Conroe game? I know there were a few thinking Katy would be able to hang with San Marcos and Baytown would get blown out by Conroe.

Old76er":3p7yy5w6 said:
So Temple had key player(s) out, did Fredericksburg have anyone out?

Anyone have any info on the Katy vs San Marcos game or the Baytown vs Conroe game? I know there were a few thinking Katy would be able to hang with San Marcos and Baytown would get blown out by Conroe.

Long-story short for Baytown and Conroe: Baytown jumped out on them early for a 20 point lead. Second half, conroe found life and recovered 2 onsides kicks that put them in the game and had them down by 6. Had a chance at the end of the game to take the lead but Baytown intercepted a duck and kneeled the game away.

It was exciting. Same great crowd atmosphere as last year game and just as competitive.

Here's my take:

Baytown not as good as last year. Conroe still a one-man team, easy to plan on defending one RB.

Freddy out three or four players from what I heard.

San Marcos playing physical again, pounding on other teams. Katy Faith not as good as they have been.

Seguin! Y'all keep your eyes on Seguin.

pup":3dyn189z said:
Here's my take:

Baytown not as good as last year. Conroe still a one-man team, easy to plan on defending one RB.

Freddy out three or four players from what I heard.

San Marcos playing physical again, pounding on other teams. Katy Faith not as good as they have been.

Seguin! Y'all keep your eyes on Seguin.

Baytown not as good as last year, so does that mean not good enough to go back to back?
Conroe easy to plan on one rb? They are still big, strong, and a threat to release off the line.
Fredy has 3-4 players out but still put away a solid temple team. Must not have been impact players that are out and if not you can hand them the trophy
Seguin can’t win with one kid. Didn’t they try that last year with the same kid?
San Marcos big and strong but may struggle when faced with a team with speed.

I haven't been following six man D2 as close as I have, but there were a couple big surprises last night.

Lifegate winning 52-6 vs Hill Country (who had beaten NBCA). Okay, I thought Lifegate could win, but a 45 point halftime win? Lifegate vs NBCA next weekend is for the district title.

Freddy lost to Bracken 66-16. Wow. Did Freddy have some injuries or did my old friend Coach Stredic really find a way to stop the Hoermann twins?

freeagent":2ada6vpu said:
I haven't been following six man D2 as close as I have, but there were a couple big surprises last night.

Lifegate winning 52-6 vs Hill Country (who had beaten NBCA). Okay, I thought Lifegate could win, but a 45 point halftime win? Lifegate vs NBCA next weekend is for the district title.

Freddy lost to Bracken 66-16. Wow. Did Freddy have some injuries or did my old friend Coach Stredic really find a way to stop the Hoermann twins?

I didn’t think Lifegate could win. Just looking at the like opponents this game should have been San Marcos by at least 20 points.

NBCA vs Lifegate should be a very good game. I’m sure after the butt whipping NBCA took from San Marcos that they will not under estimate seguin.

Freddy vs Bracken game had me blown away until I heard that several key Freddy players (1 of the Hoerman boys) went out of the game. Not sure what quarter but heard they were significant injuries. I know they have been banged up throughout the year. That’s one tough group of boys. Prayers to those who were injured this week

Anyone else shed any light on these games? 2nd or 3rd hand information can sometimes get twisted a little

Here's the scoop on the Lifegate - Hill Country game from the Seguin Gazette today:

http://seguingazette.com/sports/article ... E.facebook

There was another great article, not linked on the website, about John Rabon's 47-year coaching career. The folks at Heritage honored him before the game a couple weeks ago. Most of John's career was as an assistant, including some early days at Star HS. Lifegate was his first head coaching position.

freeagent":3qewmmhk said:

Very impressive from Seguin and Bracken! D2 should have a bunch of very exciting playoff matchups this year. Looks like a number of teams have a chance to win the title!

I must have missed last weeks 86-0 score in the Bracken game. Very impressive and a little ironic considering I remember hearing whispers a few years ago that Coach Stredic publicly called out another school for winning a game 90-0 and then went as far as to purposefully vote against some of their deserving players at all-district meeting bc of their lack of “class” for winning 90-0...

In defense of coach Stredic; I’m not sure what else could have been done. By the end of the first quarter the bench (the majority of which is freshman,) was in the game & the Warriors were taking a knee with 3 minutes left before halftime.

Back