State Game Statistics from 1972 through today

CRSARM

New member
View attachment Final State.jpg

Here are the winners and losers from the state games. Keep in mind that this does include both divisions.

I put some interesting side notes in the picture. Here is another one:

Both of Woodson's looses came from teams with the word COUNTY in their name. Motley County in 07 and Borden County in 09.

We have had a total of 38 teams play in the 46 state games we have had. Out of those 38 8 have never lost and 16 have never won.

I am not picking on the losers here at all. I played 4 years and would of loved the honor of playing in a state game even if we had lost.

Out of the 46 state games we have played 5 teams account for having played in 26 of those games between them. Those teams would be Fort Hancock, Richland Springs, Borden County, Marathon and Highland. It would of been 27 but in 2009 Borden County played Highland, BC took that game. It is the only time any of these 5 teams have meet in the state game.

I am trying to get the win/loss record of each of the teams that played in the state games for that season, does anyone know where I can find this?

I am also looking at putting together how many games have ended by the 45 rule.

Someone may of already done all of this, if they have let me know where I can find it.

Thanks,

Andy
 

Knowmystuff

New member
If Throckmorton wins this year...I believe that they would join the 1976 Marathon team to have played 11man (in part) and 6man in the same season and won State in 6man
 

coachjdjones

New member
True, oneday, but the difference is Throckmorton played one half of an 11man game, and marathon played 9 full games of 11man ball.
 

Knowmystuff

New member
That is why I had the qualifier "In part" in there. The Fort and RS have both won 5 titles and lost 1...so this will give RS the most apperances and if they win the most titles.
 

Knowmystuff

New member
Games ended by the 45 point rule
1972
1976
1982 - over at half time
1985
1988
1990
1991
1998
2005
2008-DII
2010-DII
2011-DII

1990 and 1991...don't think they were over at half time, but might have been...I will double check...if not 1982 Highland is the only one to end the State game at the Half
 

CRSARM

New member
Thank you for the 45 point rule update Oneday.

I am really wanting the records for each winning and losing team. I know I can go to Lonestar and pull each up individually but was hoping there was a list somewhere.

I had a plan for the win/loss record. When Gordon made it to state this year, I know, they lost last night, I was going to see if any team had won state with a record including three losses. LOL I was going to use it for ammo in all of the debates int eh off season. ROFL

I am still interested in seeing the numbers though.

Andy
 

Old Bearkat

Moderator
oneday":3ejplzxd said:
lonestar has a lot...but not much for the Milfrod teams in 79-80...

I'm hoping that someday some Milford fan will take a peek at the annuals from those years and give us the scores.
 

CRSARM

New member
Johnny South":1c5mq28k said:
Nice chart. But, how about also putting the scores with maybe an asterisk on the mercy rule games. If you don't mind.

Not a bad idea. I can work up a separate one for that as this one is just about appearances. I will have it ready maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Andy
 

granger

Founder
I used to have the actual stats from almost every championship game from newspaper reports (or from what I took). I typed them up several years ago and kept a chart to try and find the missing ones....trying to determine if it still exists or was part of my set of files that were corrupted awhile back.
 

CRSARM

New member
granger":303te4aq said:
I used to have the actual stats from almost every championship game from newspaper reports (or from what I took). I typed them up several years ago and kept a chart to try and find the missing ones....trying to determine if it still exists or was part of my set of files that were corrupted awhile back.

It would be great to see those stats. I hope you find them.

Andy
 

CRSARM

New member
State W45.gif

Here is the state game list with 45 point rule games indicated.

Some interesting facts:

Fort Hancock leads the way having won 3 games by 45 point rule. (1988, 1990, 1991)

Christoval has lost 3 games by the 45 point (1985, 1990 and 1991) rule, both of the games in the 90s were to Fort Hancock and the other one was to Jayton.

Borden County is in the record books all alone having lost a game by 45, 1998 to Trinidad, and having won a game by 45, 2008 over Woodson.

Richland Springs has won the last two state titles in Division II by 45 points.

The very first state game ever was a 45 rule game, O'Brien 60 to Jarrell 14.

In the 1970s we had 2 45 point games.

In the 1980s we had 3 - 45 point games.

In the 1990s we had 3 - 45 point games.

In the 2000s we had 1 - 45 point game BEFORE the division split and one after the split.

Since then we have had 2 45 point games.

Total 45 games:

Before division split: 9

Since division split 3 (all of these have been in division II)

Total games won by 45 is 12. We have had a total of 46 state games. This means the odds of winning by 45 is 26%. This also means you have a 26% chance you will lose by 45. But ont he other hand it means there is a 74% chance you will NOT lose by 45.

Andy
 

CRSARM

New member
I am basing the over at half stats above on onedays post on the previous page. All of the 45 point games are based on his post.

Andy
 

CRSARM

New member
A few more interesting numbers:

In the 1970s we had 8 state games. The average score was:

48.6 to 27.8

In the 1980s there were 10 games. The average score was:

56.1 to 27.7

In the 1990s there was again 10 games. The average score was:

55.7 to 25.2

In the 2000s we have only 6 games before the division split. The average score was:

52.2 to 37.3

Since the division split we have had 6 games in each division, the average scores have been:

Division I - 81 to 55.5

Division II - 51.3 to 21.5

The 2009 game in division I was an extremely high scoring game with Garden City beating Strawn 122 to 88 that really skewed the numbers for that division.

The scores really have stayed consistent over the decades. If you take out the division I results there is only a total spread of 7.5 points for the winners and 15.8 for the losers. I really was expecting the numbers to be a lot different then this.

I might do a spreadsheet on these numbers in a few minutes.

Andy
 
Top