Spreads Week 9

51eleven

Six-man expert
Just looking at the Public school spreads the number of 45's is amazing. There's Lingleville over Santa Ann by 1, Valley by 2 over Happy, Veribest by 3 over Paint Rock, Blum by 6 over Bynum. After that 2 games with 34, 36 and 40 point spreads each. Seems like I saw one with a 10 point spread. After that a lot of potentially 20 minute games in the rest I'd guess.

Good subject to discuss. Appears that the 45 point rule actually hurts attendance at six man games. What is the point of showing up at a game that is going to be over at half time if it takes one and half hour drive time to get to the game? May be the 45 point rule needs to be adjusted till the middle or the end of the third quarter so some of second stringers see meaningful playing time before they graduate? That rule isn't written in gold. Eleven man football has never had this rule and they have survived. A little tweaking might of the rule might be beneficial.

In my opinion, most of the spectators at the games I attend are connected with the team members, cheerleaders,band, coaching staff or the school in one way or another. I doubt that playing another quarter of a slaughter would bring any more folks out to the game. I could be totally wrong, as I have been many times before.

Well if your a true fan of your school it doesn't matter if it's over at half or in 4 quarters. I travel to show my support to the kids.
This wasn't where I was heading with the thread but you Johnny and Longhorn all bring up good related points.
I've traveled well over a hundred miles many times for 20 minutes of football. To support the team and because I loved watching them in action.
I've seen a lot of long distance games where the visiting team, without much of a chance, favored to be 45'd, had less than a dozen family/friends spectators. The locals will come. But an extra quarter to get to potentially 100 - 0 will not help attendance imho.

In my opinion, most of the spectators at the games I attend are connected with the team members, cheerleaders,band, coaching staff or the school in one way or another. I doubt that playing another quarter of a slaughter would bring any more folks out to the game. I could be totally wrong, as I have been many times before.
Agree with you 100%. Just that those fans who live a long distance away and have few links to the community will like to see a longer game. Give the second string guys a chance to play. After a quarter or two of a slaughter as you call it we all know what the starting players can do, its watching the seldom played guys compete. Another idea would be to call the game over at half as usual but have a ten minute scrimmage in what would be the third quarter for second string players to compete and get some experience, Hey, even their parents and grandparents want to see them play too. These 45 point rule games are like throwing a party and calling it off halfway through because someone took all the party favors. Everyone has spent their money on gas and food to get to the game why not get more out of the match up? Reviewing the scores this year and years past, probably more than half of all games played are over by half time. If these games are played for the boys and a few girls then why isn't this rule tweaked some how to make it a more equitable for the time and resources placed into staging these games? Like I mention in another post 11 man football has survived without the 45 point rule and no one stops a basketball game early due to mismatch either.

This wasn't where I was heading with the thread but you Johnny and Longhorn all bring up good related points.
I've traveled well over a hundred miles many times for 20 minutes of football. To support the team and because I loved watching them in action.
I've seen a lot of long distance games where the visiting team, without much of a chance, favored to be 45'd, had less than a dozen family/friends spectators. The locals will come. But an extra quarter to get to potentially 100 - 0 will not help attendance imho.
That will not help bc look motley co is 66 a game and that is with it ending at half just think of they had to play 3 quarters

Good subject to discuss. Appears that the 45 point rule actually hurts attendance at six man games. What is the point of showing up at a game that is going to be over at half time if it takes one and half hour drive time to get to the game? May be the 45 point rule needs to be adjusted till the middle or the end of the third quarter so some of second stringers see meaningful playing time before they graduate? That rule isn't written in gold. Eleven man football has never had this rule and they have survived. A little tweaking might of the rule might be beneficial.
I would love the mercy rule to be expanded to the end of 3rd quarter. As a coach it would give you a better chance to play and develop younger backup players

I would love the mercy rule to be expanded to the end of 3rd quarter. As a coach it would give you a better chance to play and develop younger backup players
Exactly my point. These games are scheduled to play football, whether first, second or third string players. Why stop a game at half time if it is scheduled for four quarters. Give those younger players a chance to play in front of the home crowd. As far as Motley County running up the score on opposing teams, let's see what happens next season when all the seniors have graduated. Even Motley needs to develop their younger players.

Exactly my point. These games are scheduled to play football, whether first, second or third string players. Why stop a game at half time if it is scheduled for four quarters. Give those younger players a chance to play in front of the home crowd. As far as Motley County running up the score on opposing teams, let's see what happens next season when all the seniors have graduated. Even Motley needs to develop their younger players.
Motley co does let their younger players play after the first quarter and they still score so Motley younger players are getting good playing time

If you want younger players to get playing time, schedule a JV game. It's not the other's team responsibility to develop the opponent's younger kids. If a team is getting 45'd by the half, then they have more than enough to work on.

I don't know if you'd ever been to an 11 man game that was lopsided since half. Other than the win, it is long, drawn out, and miserable for both sides.

There are ways to keep from scoring 70 - 90 points in the first half. If you have emptied your bench after a secure win, try practicing punting, field goals, fumble on purpose, running out of bounds before scoring or whatever it takes. When I was in high school, right after leather helmets, we were behind 55 - 0 in 3rd quarter. Eleven man and we were bad. The other team started punting and quick kicks and other things to keep from running up the score any more. There are different ways to go and this is my opinion and I have traveled two or three hours to watch games that are over at half and I have no grandkids or any relatives playing that I know of. Just like high school football especially six-man.

Well, old folks, you may be right, I don’t know. Maybe you can kinda fill in the blanks for me. Just what did you and your teammates learn, and how did it promote your team’s development by the intentional fumbles and the running out of bounds? Educate me. (I promise I’m not trying to be a smart aleck, just want to know)

First, it showed me that you don’t have to run the score up which I remember 60 years from about the time the incident happened. You as a player know they are a better player/team than you but they are not trying to run the score up. It feels better to realize there are people with compassion. Ten years later would you feel better if some one said they saw where some team beat you 60 to 0 or 90 to 0. You only know they called the dogs off. About 5 - 6 years ago I saw a “Christian“ school fake a kneel on the last play of the half and scored when they already had the team 45ed. I still pull against that school every time I know they are playing.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth.

I'm not a coach but I've watched lots fof 6-man football. A lot of times the coach starts calling pass plays to get back in the game. They then go 4 downs and out. With incomplete passes the clock doesn't run, so you only burn off about 20 seconds. I believe if I was coaching, after the 2nd time we went 4 and out I would start using all the play clock and calling running plays. wouldn't snap the ball until the play clock was under 5 seconds. Then the other team would have fewer offensive plays and the scores wouldn't get up so high.

But what do I know? I'm just a fan of the game.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth.

I'm not a coach but I've watched lots fof 6-man football. A lot of times the coach starts calling pass plays to get back in the game. They then go 4 downs and out. With incomplete passes the clock doesn't run, so you only burn off about 20 seconds. I believe if I was coaching, after the 2nd time we went 4 and out I would start using all the play clock and calling running plays. wouldn't snap the ball until the play clock was under 5 seconds. Then the other team would have fewer offensive plays and the scores wouldn't get up so high.

But what do I know? I'm just a fan of the game.
Hi Terry. You make a great point. To take it a step further, why do coaches down by 40 plus keep passing? Stopping the clock with incompletions. To save face, chance for a td, never say die? Great to see you and Cliff survived.

Hi Terry. You make a great point. To take it a step further, why do coaches down by 40 plus keep passing? Stopping the clock with incompletions. To save face, chance for a td, never say die? Great to see you and Cliff survived.
Thank you, we're doing good now

Back