Smoking for Jesus

Nsider

Six-man fan
I have to come on here and apologize to Smoking for Jesus football team. I said Strawn would shut them out and they put up 44. I am very impressed! Good luck to y'all rest of the season!

I have to come on here and apologize to Smoking for Jesus football team. I said Strawn would shut them out and they put up 44. I am very impressed! Good luck to y'all rest of the season!
Was it strawn being over hyped or smoking got Jesus being better than people thought

Smoking for Jesus had a lot of speed and had a very good passing attack. They seldom rushed from the line of scrimmage because their passing game was hitting on all cylinders early on. Strawn had trouble slowing down the passing attack early. Smoking for Jesus also tackled very well and laid a few good hits on the greyhounds. The game was very close in the first half, the scoring slowed down considerably in the third quarter before both teams cranked back up and score several touchdowns in the fourth quarter. Strawn intercepted several passes in the second half to allow them to pad their lead. SJMCS was very competitive and would beat most UIL teams.

Smoking for Jesus had a lot of speed and had a very good passing attack. They seldom rushed from the line of scrimmage because their passing game was hitting on all cylinders early on. Strawn had trouble slowing down the passing attack early. Smoking for Jesus also tackled very well and laid a few good hits on the greyhounds. The game was very close in the first half, the scoring slowed down considerably in the third quarter before both teams cranked back up and score several touchdowns in the fourth quarter. Strawn intercepted several passes in the second half to allow them to pad their lead. SJMCS was very competitive and would beat most UIL teams.
Is the freshman Rigdon the real deal?

Your right about the speed and passing. I don't know when I've seen a sixman passing game that effective. The accuracy and some of the catches were outstanding. While Strawn finally pulled away they were competitive the whole game, never giving up. Hat's off to them for making the game interesting.

Is the freshman Rigdon the real deal?
The young Rigdon player appears to be slick with his running and passing abilities. He sometimes pauses on his runs to line up his blockers and then runs through the holes. He is fast enough and agile enough to avoid most tacklers. He gave the Smoking for Jesus players fits. He took one real hard tackle on the sideline which seemed to keep him out of the game for a while but returned later and intercepted a pass or two. He had a few good tackles on the Eagles too.

That's kind of hard to speculate about after one game. Yes he, and his brother, among multiple other Greyhounds made some great plays at times. My hope is that they continue to jell well together throughout the season and I hope they enjoy it. As I hope to myself.

The vast majority of private schools can't compete with top level public schools in either division year in and year out. There are those outlier years where a private school or two are loaded. SJMS CAN compete. The difference in this game was turnovers, SJMs surrendered 5 interceptions to the 'Hounds, Strawn gave up just one fumble and it was late in the game when the outcome was already decided. Don't get me wrong, Strawn earned the picks no-doubt with great defensive plays and pressured the QB all night. He also had some brilliant escapes and throws. This kid can play, would start at QB for almost every public school in Texas and his receivers are very skilled, if they touched it they caught it. The few balls that hit the ground were either throw away or spectacular catch attempts that they just couldn't quite finish on. And SJMS also played solid defense. It was far closer than the score would indicate. Strawn is very strong, but found some things to work on from this game. Good substitute game for them rather beating Brookesmith 60-0. SJMS will be a handful for anyone they play, barring injury.

The vast majority of private schools can't compete with top level public schools in either division year in and year out. There are those outlier years where a private school or two are loaded. SJMS CAN compete. The difference in this game was turnovers, SJMs surrendered 5 interceptions to the 'Hounds, Strawn gave up just one fumble and it was late in the game when the outcome was already decided. Don't get me wrong, Strawn earned the picks no-doubt with great defensive plays and pressured the QB all night. He also had some brilliant escapes and throws. This kid can play, would start at QB for almost every public school in Texas and his receivers are very skilled, if they touched it they caught it. The few balls that hit the ground were either throw away or spectacular catch attempts that they just couldn't quite finish on. And SJMS also played solid defense. It was far closer than the score would indicate. Strawn is very strong, but found some things to work on from this game. Good substitute game for them rather beating Brookesmith 60-0. SJMS will be a handful for anyone they play, barring injury.
I agree with you. A rematch of these two teams could easily be a reversal of winner and score. SJMS could have scored more consistently with a few more quarterback draws or runs to give a different look otherwise Strawn sat back and waited for the passes. SJMS with all their speed could easily turn the corner on pitch plays and be gone.

I watched the game live. I hope SMJ’s coach is proud of his squad. They definitely can compete and could be in the running for state along side the public schools. As Justlookin stated, the game was far closer than what the score showed at the end.

I agree with you. A rematch of these two teams could easily be a reversal of winner and score. SJMS could have scored more consistently with a few more quarterback draws or runs to give a different look otherwise Strawn sat back and waited for the passes. SJMS with all their speed could easily turn the corner on pitch plays and be gone.
I doubt the score reversal part. If SJMS were to beat Strawn it would be close. Strawn takes much better care of the football. With even turnovers the game is very close. My point was that turnovers killed SJMS and caused the score to get out of hand. Strawn earned those turnovers with their play, put the QB under pressure on almost every play, with the exception of a couple times they didn't rush on direct snap situations. I do agree with you about speed. SJMS has way above average in that department. One thing I think was obvious, the SJMS coach was very careful to not expose his QB to too many hits on offense. I think that was why so many direct snaps, with a few times he would have the option he was fairly successful.

Last edited:
I'm both impressed and disturbed by their name. Maybe that's their game...if so, well played!
Coach Fraizer has put his heart and soul into the SJMS since the day one start of this program. They have gotten better year to year. Expect more of the same. He is hard working, dedicated and excited about each and every opportunity they earn.
I talked to Coach before the Strawn game. They were excited to fill the slot created by a cancellation and honored to have the opportunity to measure themselves against a perennial powerhouse. Looks like they proved their point, they want to get better and stronger and you can’t don’t that picking teams you know you can beat.
They have come along way in a very short time. Keep it going guys! Congratulations!

I know this may seem tongue in cheek, but where did the school's name originate? A simple Google search failed to quench my pedestrian-like-researching desires.

I know this may seem tongue in cheek, but where did the school's name originate? A simple Google search failed to quench my pedestrian-like-researching desires.
I heard it was a church out of Louisiana. When the hurricane hit they moved to Texas and then went back bit another one was coming so they came back. I also heard they had a restaurant in Louisiana

I actually stumbled across an old Texas Observer article. Really interesting...especially the NOLO restaurant part being here now! 🤤

Coach Fraizer has put his heart and soul into the SJMS since the day one start of this program. They have gotten better year to year. Expect more of the same. He is hard working, dedicated and excited about each and every opportunity they earn.
I talked to Coach before the Strawn game. They were excited to fill the slot created by a cancellation and honored to have the opportunity to measure themselves against a perennial powerhouse. Looks like they proved their point, they want to get better and stronger and you can’t don’t that picking teams you know you can beat.
They have come along way in a very short time. Keep it going guys! Congratul
I think in gonna have to figure out a way to see one of their games in person

Be ready to be EXCITED! We played them their first year and a few other times and they were better every year.
Wear your Air Raid jacket.
I talked to Coach Fraizer before the Strawn game. I told him the only advice I could give him was “eat at Mary’s “. When I told him a couple days ago they were mentioned on six man was very surprised.
I met with him today and he was all smiles when I asked if he had read sixman.
If you do go to a game make sure you meet Coach Fraizer, you will be impressed at how he is a genuinely great guy. You’ll then know why his players are such good sports and great kids !!!

I actually stumbled across an old Texas Observer article. Really interesting...especially the NOLO restaurant part being here now! 🤤

A really interesting article, well worth reading. Thanks and welcome to Smoking for Jesus to sixman football from a fan of the game, and your team.
I must admit when I first saw the name last year I wondered. Smoking What for Jesus? I Love Jesus, but if that's your thing, ok. Just, kids and football, not ok. Glad for the clarification and welcome to the Burnit area of Tejas.

Back