Shane Mallory...Coletyn King.

Loboe77

11-man fan
Mallory, King play one more game together

"Shane Mallory is on the move once again. The former state-championship-winning Throckmorton coach recently relocated to Union Hill, Mallory’s third stop in three years. But before he learns the nuances of East Texas six-man football, he’ll have a chance to make memories with his stepson Coletyn King at Saturday night’s Texas Six-Man Coaches Association Division I all-star game at Memorial Stadium.

Except for his sophomore season, when Mallory tried his hand at country music, King has played for his stepdad the past seven years.

"It was tough knowing that was going to come to an end this past year," Mallory said. "Getting to coach this game is pretty awesome. To be out there together one more time, it's definitely a pretty cool way to end it for us."

Mallory was unbeaten in his one season at Throckmorton in 2014, replacing Mike Reed and leading the Greyhounds to their third state title in four years.

He didn't stick around to defend the championship, however, leaving for Hermleigh, outside Snyder. For King, it was his fourth high school in as many seasons after starting out at Gordon and Strawn.

"I was still trying to win the football game — that's all that mattered," King said when asked about his many different stops. "Just go out there and win."

Mallory and the Cardinals had one of the most successful seasons in the program's history last fall. They won 10 games and knocked off Aspermont in the first round before falling to Garden City.

"It was really good. The kids bought in quick and worked hard for us," Mallory said. "They broke a 41-year, playoff-winning drought. I've been really fortunate the last few years. It's tough to beat that state-championship year. That was really special."

Saturday night will be special for the family, too. It will mark King's last time to put on pads before he goes to Texas State Technical College in Waco.

"After the end of last season, when we lost in the second round, it brought a lot of tears. It's pretty nice to know I get to play with him one last time," King said. "I couldn't ask for a better high school career with all of the accomplishments I had and having him the whole way there."

While King goes off to college, Mallory is relocating across the state of Texas for the first time in his life. The superintendent at Union Hill outside of Gilmer is Troy Batts, who hired Mallory at Throckmorton two years ago.

The Bulldogs are coming off their best season in about a decade, finishing 7-3 after falling in bi-district. Mallory will face some obstacles in East Texas that he hasn't yet come across in his coaching career.

"It's different football out there. We're hoping to bring our brand of West Texas football to East Texas," Mallory said. "I think it's a work-ethic thing. In West Texas, these kids are working on the ranch or doing something with sports. Out east, there's just more things to do. "That's probably part of it. And a lot of good programs out West have been there for forever, so it's going to take a little bit of time. Hopefully it won't take too long."

Mallory, who admitted he's never lived east of Gordon, also has come to realize the travel struggles involved. One of Union Hill's district opponents is High Island, which is near Galveston next to the Gulf of Mexico. Scheduling games is more difficult, too.

"We have two home games on our schedule. The only public school we play in the preseason dropped us without telling me," Mallory said. "It's been pretty rough. The more UIL teams we can get out there, the better. There's been a few start, so hopefully next realignment, we get a couple more."

But worrying about growing the six-man game in East Texas can wait a little longer. This week, it's about coaching King and the other West Texas all-stars in a relaxing and fun environment."

http://www.reporternews.com/sports/high ... 23301.html

Thanks for posting this. I had seen nothing about the all star games. Wish I could go but already have plans. I'd love to see Coach Mallory, it's been a couple of years now and it would be great to see Coleytn play one more time.
I went looking for a roster and discovered the sixman coaches association has a new web site.

http://texassixman.pointstreaksites.com ... star-teams

Also on their facebook page a cool black and white video towards the bottom of the first state game in 1972.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Texas-Si ... 8266115761

Back