Sanderson coach

I guess now that every coach will have to receive training on how to break up a fight professionally by UIL and TEA standards, whatever that could be???

Never the less, the kid fell on purpose, not even hitting his head. And comes out with a concussion? Assault? Ruined career. Everyone calling this man a POS. Not right.

Here is what I don't like about it. He NEVER put his hands on his kids to break this fight up. He ONLY placed his hands on 2 Marfa kids. BAD move... I agree that kid was probably not hurt too badly, but to admonish him from any wrong doing, No. He certainly threw the kid with enough force to send the kid to the ground, how much was a flop to make it look worse? Some certainly.

He never laid his hands on his kids. Never moved them to his sideline. Nothing. Overall, he is in a bad spot.

Arrest... Seems a little far. Fired...most definitely.

Glad we got to see the video.

Count Coog":24zadk5n said:
Here is what I don't like about it. He NEVER put his hands on his kids to break this fight up. He ONLY placed his hands on 2 Marfa kids. BAD move... I agree that kid was probably not hurt too badly, but to admonish him from any wrong doing, No. He certainly threw the kid with enough force to send the kid to the ground, how much was a flop to make it look worse? Some certainly.

He never laid his hands on his kids. Never moved them to his sideline. Nothing. Overall, he is in a bad spot.

You are probably right, but where he was, his kids were on the bottom. More Marfa players than Sanderson. He was the first coach there trying to separate it. When he grabbed the kid you can see the kid could’ve just ran out of the sling, but instead chose to drop to his knees, purposely. You can see if you watch the video in slow motion. There was not enough force from this 60+ year old man to throw that kid to the ground. Shouldn’t have grabbed other teams players no. But assault? And a ruined career for the man.

I can't believe he is being charged with assault. I have never been apart of a brawl on the court/field, and hopefully I never have to deal with a situation like that. With kids flying around everywhere, coaches are just trying to break it up the best they can...which could mean pulling kids off a pile, pulling them back, etc. The one thing I think he could have done was pull back his own players instead of the opponent. I think that last pull was a little excessive, but definitely does not warrant an assault charge.

Please watch it frame by frame. Kid suddenly got limp in his legs and falls. Deserves a Grammy for best actor. Not saying he should’ve grabbed Marta’s kids. But saying, the fall was too excessive.

Jacketfann123":1ick700g said:
Please watch it frame by frame. Kid suddenly got limp in his legs and falls. Deserves a Grammy for best actor. Not saying he should’ve grabbed Marta’s kids. But saying, the fall was too excessive.

Completely agree. Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish he would have just been able to pull his own kids back.

Pulling your own players out first isn’t always possible and at that point you just want to end the fight so you just grab a player and get them out of it. Being charged for that is ridiculous plain and simple.

After watching the video, there is absolutely no way the sanderson coach should have been arrested, I don't agree with that at all. I also believe the coach was 100% in the wrong at the same time. the first marfa kid he pulled off was ok, then we bypassed his 21, by the time he got to the second marfa kid the kid was already out of the fray and he decided he would sling him out of the way.

Should he be arrested for assault.. i think that is over the top, other ramifications by the ISD and UIL? certainly

Count Coog":3lqautjr said:

If I were Coach Donnell, I would file civilly against the Presidio County Sheriff's Department for displaying very poor judgement in regards to what constitutes assault. Like I said earlier, before seeing the video, the coach is acting within the course and scope of his employment. MAYBE he threw the second kid down a little harder than was nessecary, but there is no way to know what transpired previously in the game. Maybe that second kid made a threat against one of the Sanderson boys? I think a very light reprimand by the UIL is the only plasuiable action he should face for his conduct.

Although many schools would fire him, I honestly think it is ABSURD if Sanderson fired him over this event. Coach Donnell is lucky to work at a school district like Sanderson because I think, as someone who knows something about Sanderson, that the school board will stick with him longer than most other schools. Why do I say that? My impression/first hand knowledge of Sanderson leads me to believe that they will like the fact that he stood up for the Sanderson players.

Furthermore, I saw the guy coach one game and was very impressed with him; In 2012, he took an inferior Sierra Blanca team, or at least in my opinion, to Sanderson and beat the Eagles because the Sanderson center was blocking out of spread insead of running out for a pass. To counter this, Donnell put his fastest guy ten yards back, told him to wait for the spread back to run, and then tackled him for a small gain or loss each time. I am sure the Sanderson school board remembers that,

Anyways, this has been an interesting topic but am 99.9% sure Donnell will not go to jail. Maybe he gets fired? While I am not totally convineced that he will not get fired, I think Sanderson will keep him if they can.

My reason for responding is I want to know moving forward with is the expectations if this was to happen again for ALL coaches in public and private schools. There are good and bad apples in all schools.

Here is a question I have for UIL and/or TAPPS(both top 10 organizations in the country) or any league for that matter. What should he have done? Football players do have(I see a concern for tossing a player) pads on , however if my son and daughter were getting their heads stomped on in volleyball, basketball, or a softball with no protective gear game I would hope you as a coach would come to their defense. I really would!!! If I was a parent of an opponent, and that coach grabbed my son I would have no problem with him removing him from the situation.Would I think that way if I didn't coach I honestly don't know. However, I would want my own coach to go stand up for my kiddo. I am biased and I apologize for that, however, I would tell my son you are being a turd for going out there fighting. Mine would be grounded for a long time.lol. As a parent, I have an issue with first which I don't CONDONE this type of behavior is fighting. I am good friends with this coach and he by no MEANS assaulted a player whatsoever IMHO. Some would say okay the player was thrown to the ground and maybe he had minor injuries. Well, he had minor injuries in a football game as well. I don't want to justify that but I want to be educated on what to do. There is a slippery slope on the minor injury thing.

What if the coached would have been attacked and he slung him still??

Should he grabbed the Kid maybe not?

What if that happened on the other sideline?

What would you do in the heat of the moment? Clearly his intent was NOT to hurt anyone WHATSOEVER?

Even if he pulls his own kiddos that can very well be the same thing, right?

Should there be a consequence maybe so, but this should not be a career ending to someone's lively hood?

Really who cares what we all think on this board me included lol, but I am curious of how TAPPS and UIL and law enforcement truly views this type of thing.

Mike Singletary coaches at Trinity Christian Academy in Addison, TX (former 49ers coach) how severe would UIL and TAPPS come down on him if this happened to him.

I really want to us as coaches to be educated on how we move forward with this type of thing. I am not sure based on the video he was not really close to his players initially at the start of the video when he came of the field. Praying for both communities and Coach Donnell.

Sincerely,

Coach Johnson
AD/Head Football
Wichita Christian

. I’ve seen worse living in Ruston, Louisiana while in college at Grambling State University .. if you’ll arrest him for that then my god... but I’m a private school guy. Let me get off of the public school boards.. our opinions don’t matter here

CoachJJ":jkt1nrkt said:
My reason for responding is I want to know moving forward with is the expectations if this was to happen again for ALL coaches in public and private schools. There are good and bad apples in all schools.

Here is a question I have for UIL and/or TAPPS(both top 10 organizations in the country) or any league for that matter. What should he have done? Football players do have(I see a concern for tossing a player) pads on , however if my son and daughter were getting their heads stomped on in volleyball, basketball, or a softball with no protective gear game I would hope you as a coach would come to their defense. I really would!!! If I was a parent of an opponent, and that coach grabbed my son I would have no problem with him removing him from the situation.Would I think that way if I didn't coach I honestly don't know. However, I would want my own coach to go stand up for my kiddo. I am biased and I apologize for that, however, I would tell my son you are being a turd for going out there fighting. Mine would be grounded for a long time.lol. As a parent, I have an issue with first which I don't CONDONE this type of behavior is fighting. I am good friends with this coach and he by no MEANS assaulted a player whatsoever IMHO. Some would say okay the player was thrown to the ground and maybe he had minor injuries. Well, he had minor injuries in a football game as well. I don't want to justify that but I want to be educated on what to do. There is a slippery slope on the minor injury thing.

What if the coached would have been attacked and he slung him still??

Should he grabbed the Kid maybe not?

What if that happened on the other sideline?

What would you do in the heat of the moment? Clearly his intent was NOT to hurt anyone WHATSOEVER?

Even if he pulls his own kiddos that can very well be the same thing, right?

Should there be a consequence maybe so, but this should not be a career ending to someone's lively hood?

Really who cares what we all think on this board me included lol, but I am curious of how TAPPS and UIL and law enforcement truly views this type of thing.

Mike Singletary coaches at Trinity Christian Academy in Addison, TX (former 49ers coach) how severe would UIL and TAPPS come down on him if this happened to him.

I really want to us as coaches to be educated on how we move forward with this type of thing. I am not sure based on the video he was not really close to his players initially at the start of the video when he came of the field. Praying for both communities and Coach Donnell.

Sincerely,

Coach Johnson
AD/Head Football
Wichita Christian

Well said Coach!!!!!!!!

Well I am sure the player is walking around in a neck brace and has personal injury lawyers calling all day. I agree this is ridiculous!

Maybe a good apology and a handshake would suffice. If the coach is charged then how about the players that started the fight? Arent they complicit?

Lionsbacker":99kaifg1 said:
Well I am sure the player is walking around in a neck brace and has personal injury lawyers calling all day. I agree this is ridiculous!

Maybe a good apology and a handshake would suffice. If the coach is charged then how about the players that started the fight? Arent they complicit?

I agree, kids are never held accountable for anything these days... kind of like when a parent blames the teacher for their child not passing or “having it out” for the child but parents never look in the mirror and say “what can I do to help” it’s always finger pointing at the adults... teach these kids discipline and respect... butnsee a guy like me can’t get a teaching and coaching job because I’m a no nonsense type guy with strict educational philosophy... it’s really a shame that I have a masters degree but I get turned down because I only want what’s best for kids... it really ticks me off to see coaches not teach their players any discipline and it’s guys like me out here that would kill to be out there disciplining kids and building young men of character...

START HOLDING THESE KIDS ACCOUNTABLE!!!!

Just out of curiosity, who is the Marfa coach that immediately ran up to the Sanderson coach pointing fingers instead of getting his kids to the sidelines?

Back