Roby & Rotan consolidation talks

The Motley Fool

Six-man fan
Just seen this on Facebook from a friend who has family in the area, both Roby and Rotan school boards are meeting tonight to discuss consolidation, both meetings are being held at their respective schools and are open to the public. Hopefully we can have someone from there to provide some more details.

I have family in both Roby and Rotan. It seems to be a idea that most people are for. I think it would be better for the kids if it happened to give them better opportunities

I was checking the enrollment numbers for both Rotan and Roby. For the calendar year 2016 to 2017 on the Texas Tribune site both schools listed over 240 students each. Those numbers have obviously changed since then but Consolidation would certainly create a much bigger school and maybe boost Roby's football numbers. Rotan's players might not be too eager to drop down to eleven man ball.

Nsider":yo82ocue said:
I have family in both Roby and Rotan. It seems to be a idea that most people are for. I think it would be better for the kids if it happened to give them better opportunities

I'm curious...what are these "better opportunities"?

To the above I’d say....

I played 6-man and enjoyed it. I also enjoy watching 6-man a heck of a whole lot better than 11-man. However...if your kid has talent and you and them both have aspirations of college scholarships it’s much better to participate in 11-man. 6-man is so unique that a lot of the times the talent expressed on the 6-man field do not correlate to the 11-man field. For this reason, college coaches and scouts seldom give 6-man players a solid look. Better to be slightly better than average on an 11-man team than a standout on the 6-man field.

bigbadwolf":fmi3zysk said:
To the above I’d say....

I played 6-man and enjoyed it. I also enjoy watching 6-man a heck of a whole lot better than 11-man. However...if your kid has talent and you and them both have aspirations of college scholarships it’s much better to participate in 11-man. 6-man is so unique that a lot of the times the talent expressed on the 6-man field do not correlate to the 11-man field. For this reason, college coaches and scouts seldom give 6-man players a solid look. Better to be slightly better than average on an 11-man team than a standout on the 6-man field.

College Coaches seldom look at players 3A and below. The only ones that get looked at are not the "slightly better than average" players...it's the STUDS. Some have gone on to college, but not many on scholarship. Just my opinon....I'm wondering if there are other opportunities that these kids will gain by consolidation...academics? theater arts? Just wondering what the opportunities are. If playing 11-man is the opportunity...well...good luck in a district with Hamlin, Stamford, Albany, etc.

More coaches in JuCo, D 3 and others look at Sixman players more than you might think. Helping secure the financial aid packages pay for about half. There are definitely opportunities out there but you have to work for them.

I wasn't saying better opportunities for football. I enjoy 6 man and 11 man. I was talking about everything. Academics, theatre, band, choir and athletics. More kids gives better opportunities. If you look at lower grade enrollments they might still end up 6 man in the future even if consolidated.

Roby 2017-2018 Student Enrollment
Pre-kindergarten 23
Kindergarten 23
Grade 1 25
Grade 2 25
Grade 3 20
Grade 4 23
Grade 5 23
Grade 6 25
Grade 7 20
Grade 8 12
Grade 9 24
Grade 10 20
Grade 11 16
Grade 12 22

Rotan 2017-2018 Student Enrollment
Pre-kindergarten 23
Kindergarten 18
Grade 1 18
Grade 2 23
Grade 3 21
Grade 4 17
Grade 5 9
Grade 6 21
Grade 7 26
Grade 8 13
Grade 9 9
Grade 10 25
Grade 11 18
Grade 12 16
From here: https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/adhocrpt/adste.html
using Selected Countywide District Totals Fisher County grade

Its not like consolidating them will make them a 4A school all the sudden. They will be a 2A with better numbers. It doesn't all revolve around football anyways. Isn't Roby more a basketball school and Rotan baseball? Just asking. Y'all are the experts. I'm just a idiot making idiotic post evidently

While I have no skin in the game, I would much rather play sixman than be an eleven man school. With that said, however, I am all for school choice and think both school boards should be free to do whatever they see fit.

I'm not judging, was just wondering what the additional opportunities would be. I'd be willing to bet that the kids at both schools have everything you listed already (besides choir....and really doubt that would be offered even if they do consolidate).

I think the biggest factor in consolidation is financial. If one, or both, schools are having hard times financially then consolidation may be the answer. I don't think that football is a factor at all. I hope the powers that be make the right decision for the kids' sake.

bigbadwolf":37o4m0wt said:
To the above I’d say....

If James Washington from Stamford,Tx would of played sixman at Lueders-Avoca, he still would of wind up playing at a D1 college. Talent is talent no matter what size of the school. Is it hard to get recruited from sixman absolutely but its hard to get recruited in general.

Schwarzenegger":3qlea9nn said:
bigbadwolf":3qlea9nn said:
To the above I’d say....

If James Washington from Stamford,Tx would of played sixman at Lueders-Avoca, he still would of wind up playing at a D1 college. Talent is talent no matter what size of the school. Is it hard to get recruited from sixman absolutely but its hard to get recruited in general.

Maybe if he could have brought his quarterbacks and coaches with him... still a BIG maybe.

Back