Requirements to play sixman and DI, DII requirements.

bigbadwolf

11-man fan
Just curious and I’m not locating the answer. Maybe I’m just not typing In the correct key words.
What’s the requirements in Tx for a school to play sixman football? What’s the requirements for DI, and DII?
Just curious because of yesterday’s games.
McLean played in the larger DI championship and I’m guessing 13-14 on the team with 3-4 seniors.
Strawn played in the smaller DII championship and had 26-30 players and around 14 seniors.

It is based on enrollment numbers. You can google UIL and look at "alignment" to get the exact numbers.
It is somewhere around 105 and under for six-man football. That is then divided at around 55 or less for DII. This has nothing to do with the number of players. Hope this helps. I was just to lazy this morning to look it up for the exact numbers.

Has McLean always been in sixman football? Or, are they the typical State Champion that drops from 2A (used to be 1A) 11 man football to sixman? Seems like a great deal of the struggling 11 man programs drop to sixman and have instant success. I can think of two off the top of my head, Jayton & Throckmorton. Both those schools dropped from 11 man because they were struggling and went on to win the State Championship their first year in sixman. Doesn’t seem quite fair for teams who have been perennial sixman teams to have to play under such a competitive disparity.

I think Garden City may be another struggling 11 man program that dropped to sixman and had instant success. You may have to correct me on that.

Pedant1969":1cxyzamh said:
Has McLean always been in sixman football? Or, are they the typical State Champion that drops from 2A (used to be 1A) 11 man football to sixman? Seems like a great deal of the struggling 11 man programs drop to sixman and have instant success. I can think of two off the top of my head, Jayton & Throckmorton. Both those schools dropped from 11 man because they were struggling and went on to win the State Championship their first year in sixman. Doesn’t seem quite fair for teams who have been perennial sixman teams to have to play under such a competitive disparity.

What year did Jayton win a state title?

1984 and 1985 their first two HS years back in 6man
They had planned moving to 6man for a few years and had been playing it in JrHS in 1982 and 1983 I believe while the HS was still playing 11man

Leman Saunders":1sjzdea5 said:
Garden City and Jayton had played 6man in the past and 8man...then went 11man and then back to 6man
Jayton 6 man 1952-1957, 8 man 1958-1963, 11 man 1964-1983, 6 man since 1984
Garden City 6 man 1938-1957, 8 man 1958-1975, 11 man 1976-2003, 6 man since 2004

McLean was 11 man until 1988. At one time they were the old Class A, now 3A.

Pedant1969":219efkdn said:

Interesting statement. I bet for every Jayton and Throckmorton, I could name 10 or more programs that moved to sixman that did not have instant success, and have been beaten by "perennial sixman teams" regularly.

Jones26":39tnf34v said:
Pedant1969":39tnf34v said:

Interesting statement. I bet for every Jayton and Throckmorton, I could name 10 or more programs that moved to sixman that did not have instant success, and have been beaten by "perennial sixman teams" regularly.

Agree (maybe not 10 but for sure at least 2 for 1)

Back