Pup's Playoff Primer

pup

11-man fan
It's getting to be that time of year. The playoff bracket is posted on TAPPS and district games are playing out. Certain teams are rising to the top, others, not so much. With three weeks left to play, here are my playoff picks:

North Bracket-

D2- Third- Richardson- a big game this week with Longview but I think they win.
D1- Second- Notre Dame- It's weird to think of them as a #2 team but Wichita Christian looks like the real deal. Should be a great game between the two.
D2- First- Granbury- Bye. They look to be a finalist with their new running back.

D3- Fourth- Living Rock- First year team makes the playoffs. Are the lucky recipients of the "Going North" award.
D2-Second- Longview- Take second in district but won't go as far as last year.
D1- First- Wichita Christian- Bye. New coach + new system = winning.

South Bracket-

D2- Fourth- Athens- Don't know much about them but they are running into a buzzsaw.
D3-Second- Seguin- Right this second I believe that San Marcos beats Seguin in a HUGE district game. Seguin takes it out on anyone standing in their way.
D4- First- Bellville- Bye. Make the playoffs only to get crushed in first game.

D3- Third- Freddy- A down Freddy is still better than a lot of teams.
D4- Second- Alvin- A weak district doesn't survive long.
D3- First- San Marcos- Bye. Semifinalist for sure, finalist possible.

My prognostication- The south is tougher with Seguin, San Marcos and Freddy. But the north has Granbury. I see the semifinalists being Granbury vs. Wichita Christian from the north. In the south it'll be Seguin vs. San Marcos.

Way too early to start this talk with three Fridays left any body can be beaten, anyone can sustain an injury or two., but hey...

One player injury could also show who the best TEAM is this season. That being said, I pray for no injuries to any players, coaches, students, or fans for the remainder of the season.
It's never too early for someone to make their picks. The earlier the picks are made, the more impressive if the picks turn out correctly.

Here we go brothers. I like your thinking Warrior.

Pup,

I like your picks.
I'm not sure new coach and new system equals success. Let's look at Brenham Christian, Holy Trinity, and Heath Fulton. These (just a few to name) programs went downhill after their coach left.

I think ND is still solid with that Whitten kid they will bounce back.

NCTA. Top three players in all of TAPPS BALL. They will be a hard out.

Brenham Christian's issue has always been numbers. Tarbutton had a great thing going there but by his last year (2012), the numbers were down to nothing. 2013 they didn't have a team. I took over as the HC for 2014 and we made the playoffs (got 45'ed by Seguin), but this year they didn't have the numbers again. Really didn't have much to do with the coach or system, just numbers.

As far as the playoffs, I'd say that I expect Notre Dame to win District 1, Seguin to win 3 with San Marcos getting second, and Alvin to win 4 with Bellville getting 2nd.

I'm picking Seguin vs. NCTA for the championship with Seguin winning it all.

LOL....I don't think its kool-aid you guys are drinking!

NCTA and San Marcus in the Finals....NCTA takes it all.

Prickly Bear.

Oh and WCS beat a good Div. 2 team but all Div. 2 teams are irrelevant except for Calvert and RS. Which they will meet third round and play the state game then. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

"If what you did yesterday seems big, then you have done nothing today"- Lou Holtz

Prickly Bear

I can't say I disagree with ND. With WF WCS new coach it makes it very interesting. Can San Marcos win a tough district game or playoff game. They have little playoff experience and so does WF WCS.

GT,
If we could ever have a year in district 1 where teams didn't cancel their seasons, we wouldn't have to schedule any UIL DII schools. At least the Stars filled in their schedule with varsity teams and not JV squads.
Furthermore, what I spike my koolaid with is none of your prickly business.
:eek:)

You guys are getting me pumped up for the next couple of weeks. I admit District I in Tapps has always been a mess. ND and WCS always field teams. I commend them for always playing. I want more teams to start popping in the metropolitan areas.

CentralTexas":36nqigh6 said:
Here we go brothers. I like your thinking Warrior.

Pup,

I like your picks.
I'm not sure new coach and new system equals success. Let's look at Brenham Christian, Holy Trinity, and Heath Fulton. These (just a few to name) programs went downhill after their coach left.

I think ND is still solid with that Whitten kid they will bounce back.

NCTA. Top three players in all of TAPPS BALL. They will be a hard out.

Heath Fulton's program going downhill had less to do with the coach leaving, and more with the headmaster leaving, though I venture to guess those two are related as well considering they were close. That place is a mess now...

I could see that Lazy. They had talent last year and did not win. No program this year. If he was there this Year am sure they would play football. Let's be honest. Administration are important but any coach staying somewhere five years is a plus. I'm sure they love him in Wichita Falls. Maybe or maybe not! How long will he stay ? Do you think he will stay?

Well I knew you were spiking the Kool-Aid with something! HA!

Three main reasons why coaches get ran off or leave;
1- They cant/don't win
2- They get a better job.
3- Egotistical/Idiotic parents, Administrators or Booster Clubs. YOU PICK! (but yes I believe WCS is on cloud nine with the new guy)

"There are two things any man in the world thinks he can do....use a grill and coach football"- Greg Schiano

Thank you for input GT. I just would like to see schools fully commit to these coaches. In return, coaches should commit to their schools but is there ever in loyalty in this business. People always say they have to do what is best for their family which I do completely understand. In the business of coaching whether it is private or public school at any level it seems that good coaches or coaches that know people will always get job opportunities. Parents will be loyal to their kids first. We can talk objectivity and subjectivity all day long. As an employer I personally want other schools trying to hire my coach. That sometimes says a lot about the coach and his or her skill set. I just would like to see more places like Seguin, Covenant, and Heritage that keep coaches around. At the end of the day these guys have to do what they think is best. Whether it is worth saying and building or moving on because of some of things you mentioned earlier. You never miss a good thing until it is gone!! Thoughts?? I'm interesting in hearing?

When I played and when my kids played, it was always TEAM first. Most parents have lost sight of that concept.

They are out for their own in a lot of cases. Coaches come and go, because the more successful they are the more opportunities open up. Turn over in small schools is huge and one person leaving or a yahoo coming in can make or break a program. I have seen it first hand. Private schools are ran on money and a lot by parents or "influential" people. I have seen first hand outside influences/people tear a program apart. It is a load of CRAP if you ask me, but hey no one asked me.

Bottom line is....let the players play, let the coaches coach and get out of their business!

Prickly Bear

Back