Pudge Rodriguez

Knowmystuff

11-man fan
I can remember when he came up in 1991 and he caught the first big league game I ever saw in 1992 (rangers vs blue jays...rangers lost big time...like 15-4). I was a catcher and he was the catcher on my favorite team, therefor he was my favorite player. I followed his whole career...even wrote him a fan letter when I was in junior high...the only fan letter I have ever written...and even though he didn't respond, it didn't effect my opinion of him at all.

Seeing him retire causes me to not only reflect on him as a player and his career, but also my childhood and growing up and the process of life and growing older and one's mortality...

Dear Pudge,

Thanks for the memories and see you in 5 years at Cooperstown.

Sign,
A life long fan who wishes he could be 10 once more, watching his favorite player throw a runner out at 2nd

And he threw out the first pitch in style!

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Texas Rangers and Ivan Rodriguez put a nice twist on the ceremonial first pitch prior to Monday's game.

Rodriguez went to the mound, but had his catcher's mitt on. Instead of throwing a pitch off the rubber, he trotted back behind home plate and former teammate Michael Young went to second base. Rodriguez's throw was, of course, on the money.

oneday":3s5inmrh said:
I can remember when he came up in 1991 and he caught the first big league game I ever saw in 1992 (rangers vs blue jays...rangers lost big time...like 15-4). I was a catcher and he was the catcher on my favorite team, therefor he was my favorite player. I followed his whole career...even wrote him a fan letter when I was in junior high...the only fan letter I have ever written...and even though he didn't respond, it didn't effect my opinion of him at all.

Seeing him retire causes me to not only reflect on him as a player and his career, but also my childhood and growing up and the process of life and growing older and one's mortality...

Dear Pudge,

Thanks for the memories and see you in 5 years at Cooperstown.

Sign,
A life long fan who wishes he could be 10 once more, watching his favorite player throw a runner out at 2nd

I thoroughly enjoyed watching throw out runners on 1st from a crouch too. Only catcher I ever saw who could do that consistently.

I was at a game in 1994, the strike shortened season, at the Ballpark and the Rangers were playing the White Sox Pudge did a snap throw to 1st base and picked off the runner and I was sitting right there 1st base side...it was amazing...and the Rangers won 4-1 I believe...Greer I think hit a home run or made a great catch one...he was my 2nd favorite Ranger at the time

Actually, their offensive stats are fairly even:
HR 389 to 311 Bench
BA .296 to .267 Rodriguez
RBI 1376 to 1332 Bench

However, there is no questioning the validity of Bench's accomplishments. Unfortunately, Rodriguez will always have that hanging over his head.

Back