McClean, Milford and Instant Replayi

An official does not have discretion to determine who has more control. Officials make the ruling based on definitions that are written in the rule book. The rules require a player to have at least one foot touching the ground while maintaining possession of the ball in their hand(s). This, by definition of this possession rule, is why the first player to touch the ground while having possession of the ball in their hands is considered to first be in possession. Just touching the ball with the hand is not possession. Trust me, there’s many more meaningless or stupid rules. Such as a runner fumbling the ball out of their opponents end zone becomes a touchback. Or, better yet, a new rule this year that a fair catch inside the 20 on the kickoff goes to the 20 (in six man) only as long as the player catches the ball. If he drops it he doesn’t get credit for the fair catch but he also cannot advance the ball.

Since it appears neither player jumped up but rather fell from the collision and both had the ball as they hit the ground wouldn’t this by rule be Milford’s ball?

After watching it more it also appears the Milford players feet touched before the McLean player touched the ground.
Even by the stupid rule it should be Milford’s ball.

Obgain the replay on the big screen showed the Mclean player had possession in the air the milford player only started fighting for the ball once on the ground.

This one shows they both collided while catching the ball at the same time.
At most there should have been a stoppage and a full replay.
That was my original point and I stick by it, they both had the ball when they hit the ground, there should have been a replay.

obagain":2qvfc5np said:
Since it appears neither player jumped up but rather fell from the collision and both had the ball as they hit the ground wouldn’t this by rule be Milford’s ball?

I promise you the play was reviewed, as was every play. NCAA replay officials were used by the UIL and there is an absolute additional review completed on all turnovers and touchdowns (what we call the two T's). I can also promise you that when replay reviewed the play there was enough immediate evidence that they did not have to stop the game to do a further review. Just because they did not stop the game and announce the play is under further review does not mean it was not reviewed. With this being a turnover there was even additional time (while teams cleared the field and cycled in new offense/defenses) for the replay officials to look without stopping play. Additionally, the replay official assistance's, who were on the field one at each 10 yard line, specifically game the game officials the thumbs up, which means they received the confirmation and clearance from the booth replay officials. Lastly, the clip provided by Mr. Saunders shows one view from a very distant angle. There were 7 available angles at AT&T and If you watched many of the games last week you'd know that one angle can be deceiving compared to another angle. For example, when Crockett stepped out of bounds. One angle showed him in while another confirmed he went out.

I'm truly not trying to argue with you about this play. I definitely understand what your eyes and mind are telling you as I've been there before. Just trying to help you look at a play from a non-biased perspective. Who knows...maybe someday you might decide to officiate this great game they call football. Please have a very safe and Happy New Year.

I have a great respect for officials, especially in six man where action is going of all over the field.
The only reason to keep this going is I have been told so many different things about this play and while old, I still believe my eyes.
In my mind they both had the ball on the ground, it is very debatable about who came down first, the first official over didn’t make a ruling until the Mclane kid pulled the ball away and that is when he signaled an interception.
The same thing happened earlier but the Milford kid pulled it away from McLean. I thought it would be reviewed to see if the Milford kid had it before going out of bounds but they didn’t.
In my mind the official was looking for possession and not as the rule states, who came down first.

obagain":2e1bn616 said:
I have a great respect for officials, especially in six man where action is going of all over the field.
The only reason to keep this going is I have been told so many different things about this play and while old, I still believe my eyes.
In my mind they both had the ball on the ground, it is very debatable about who came down first, the first official over didn’t make a ruling until the Mclane kid pulled the ball away and that is when he signaled an interception.
The same thing happened earlier but the Milford kid pulled it away from McLean. I thought it would be reviewed to see if the Milford kid had it before going out of bounds but they didn’t.
In my mind the official was looking for possession and not as the rule states, who came down first.

GO watch some BASKETBALL I think this game is over and decided. The Best team Won no doubts!!

Thank you UIL for using the instant replay and playing at AT&T Stadium.
How many times have we seen plays that could have gone either way.
Plays that have changed a games out come entirely.
Thanks to the technology they have at AT&T we can
set in the best football stadium in the Great State of Texas.
Watch the best 24 teams we have and expect a fair game,
for both teams without a great deal of human error.
Myself I can't wait till next year and hope they use
more cameras on the side lines to get more angles for the for the complainers.
Who want to go back outside and play in the cold at Shotwell Stadium etc. etc. etc.........

Back