McClean, Milford and Instant Replayi

So I was wrong about prior years. I just figured seeing virtually every play rerun on the big tv in the sky in prior years that somebody in the booth seeing the same thing might be in communication with the head ref and suggest they reconsider or talk it over to be sure. Now that it's pointed out I don't remember play being stopped and the ref coming to the sideline to review the small screen before.

Let's remember, this was not the first time those two had fought over a ball that game. Those two played a great game and were battling all day.

The McLean player appeared to get to break on the ball a split second earlier, but this time as they went down, he turned his shoulder, to try and wrestle possession. As they hit the ground, the Milford players hand came off the ball briefly.

I thought it was the right call

From my angle it appeared they were on the ground before the defender turned his shoulder.
But again, why was it not really looked at?

It was looked at. They are looking at all of the calls. The replay was shown several times. The booth decided quickly on the call and felt it was fine.

I'm glad they are using it. You need to have the right call made, especially in the biggest game of the season. I agree human error plays a role in the game, but human error shouldn't decide the outcome of a game. At the same time it helps a team, it is hurting the other team when errors are made. Why not make the right call so that it is fair to both teams?

Jones26":1s2q0g58 said:
I'm glad they are using it. You need to have the right call made, especially in the biggest game of the season. I agree human error plays a role in the game, but human error shouldn't decide the outcome of a game. At the same time it helps a team, it is hurting the other team when errors are made. Why not make the right call so that it is fair to both teams?

I think using reply in the state game is an error when it is not used in other games because you are implying that the state game is more important than the other [playoff] games. Sometimes, however, the "real championship" game is decided before the state game.

For instance, the NBA's Western Conference won 10 out of 13 NBA titles from 1999 to 2011 after Jordan retired. The real championship was the Western Conference Finals, which featured some of the best games I have ever seen. Replay would have been more needed when Shaq and Kobe beat Rasheed Wallace's Portland Trailblazers and Chris Webber's Sacramento Kings as the Lakers could have easily won 1 ring instead of 3.

I did not see any of the game so not talking about what I saw. But unless the rule has changed in the past 4 years if two players have simultaneous possession of the ball, the ball becomes dead and possession goes to the offense. Does not matter which player touches the ground first. Also any action after simultaneous possession does not matter. Since the play is dead, one player taking the ball away doesn't matter.
Like I said this rule may have changed in the past 4 years but before that ball went to offense.

Jones26":1g36b5nz said:
I totally agree with Jones26.
As far as what happened in the games played before, You lost me there Tebow. There is no way to rationalize or justify previous outcomes of other games being more represenative of who should be in the State Final Game. It is what it is. That the rules everyone agreed to when the season began. I hope you are not trying to diminish the game or the teams that played it. It was a great game by the two best teams in Division 1 (as the rules dictate) for anyone to say anything different is foolish and disrespectful to the teams and the game.
And that’s the way it is..........

You guys are making six man tough to take seriously. We get a top notch stadium, like THE best stadium in North America. They let us use sophisticated equipment to ensure fair calls, and provide staff. And you complain. Absolutely shameful.

As an aside since you mention the facility. Strictly from a fan's standpoint. Those seat's are pretty compfy compared to aluminum bleachers or concrete (classic but when it get's cold they do along with your butt, I know, bring a blanket). The folding arm rest with the cup holder is pretty neat. And that huge tv in the sky is awesome. Unbelievable brightness and clarity for the size. Seeing virtually every play replayed almost instantly, many times from different angles is way cool. Speaking of cool, I didn't get that way in December in Texas, in a t-shirt. Never cold, hot or even warm.

I didn't know until I saw post game pictures they provide an open locker area for clothes and equipment for each player. Even for sixman. With their name on it.

Thanks Jerry, for the recognition.

to Redraider2, you are correct on the call of possession:

Completed Pass—ARTICLE 6 Approved Ruling 7-3-6 I. Two opposing players receive a legal forward pass while both are off the ground, and both players return to the ground inbounds at the same time. RULING: Simultaneous catch; the ball is awarded to the passing team (Rule 2-4-4). II. Two opposing players receive a ball while both are off the ground, and one player returns to the ground inbounds before the other. RULING: No simultaneous catch. The legal forward pass is completed or intercepted by the player who first returned to the ground (Rule 2-4-4).

Good call.

Rediculous rule then.
My question still stands, receiver jumps up and has both arms around the ball but defenders finger tips are on the ball so defender comes down first, that is an interception?

obagain":3i4wyck5 said:
Rediculous rule then.
My question still stands, receiver jumps up and has both arms around the ball but defenders finger tips are on the ball so defender comes down first, that is an interception?

This scenario is not “simultaneous catch”. You have just described a catch by a receiver and a DB touching the ball with his finger tips, which is nowhere near “possession”.

Depends if he has control of the ball. If another player has possession (as you described), a player cannot simultaneously possess the ball with his fingertips only. What you described is physically impossible. Especially if they are both falling to the ground. And if a player has his fingertips only on the ball and hits the ground first, there is no way he is going to keep control of the ball.

Happens all the time, receiver has ball by fingers and goes out of bounds or falls and the ball doesn’t move.
So if the defender does the same but the receiver also has both hands on the ball it is an interception just because the defender came down first?

obagain":29xu2tpq said:
Does anyone have or can get video of the interception?

Obagain, I've tried to find video of the play but have not been successful. In your responses you keep confusing the difference between touching the ball and possessing the ball. Yes, you can have possession with a players fingertips holding the ball. You can also have fingertips touching a ball but no possession. You are viewing this play as a fan of Milford (nothing wrong with that) and your eyes and mind are trying everything possible to convince yourself the call was wrong. I encourage you to look at it from the documented rules perspective (thanks Oldergoat) and understanding the rule book definition of possession, similar to the difference between a muff and a fumble.

Lastly, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to get this rule changed. It's an NCAA rule so you will have to start with the NCAA rules committee. They meet in March to first propose rule changes and then again in May to vote on and ratify rule changes for the upcoming football season.

I’m not confusing them, if a receiver can make a fingertip catch that establishes they it can be a catch.
Does the official have descretion to say one player had more control?
The rule does not say that so by rule I am right and it’s whoever has their hands on the ball and comes down first which is the most stupid rule there is.
Why is the first person down concidered the one in control?

Back