Interesting thoughts

CoachMiller

Six-man fan
As I look over all of the playoff brackets from each division, it gets really frustrating. There is Div 1 and Div 2 in all levels of football. 6-man through 6A. In the 11 man brackets, the top 4 go to the playoffs. (I think this is too much) However, in the 6-man, we get 2 from each district. I was looking at the teams and brackets and there are teams that did not win a district game and make the playoffs. There are probably teams that did not win a game. that are making it.

Heck, even in volleyball, 3 teams make the playoffs.

I'm not saying we need to add more teams to the playoffs, but it would be nice if it were equal across the board.

in most cases, 4 teams do not deserve to be in the playoffs(11 man schools)

Anyone have any thoughts on this that might help me understand a little more?

We are in the participation trophy era. However, I think in 11-man it has to be about the $$$$$. More games, means more gate money.
Below is a quote and the link to the article I found.

"Playoff teams share gate receipts from their games, after expenses and after the UIL, or governing body, takes its cut, either 16 percent for playoff games or 20 percent for the state championship. More than 245,000 people watched the state championships at AT&T Stadium in 2016."
~Matthew Martinez Fort Worth Star-Telegram

With districts and the total number of teams in the two 6man divisions, it’s hard to say putting 3 in would be a good idea. Some districts only have 3 or 4 teams. That’s the only issue. I think they should have done that when there was no division split when districts were 6-8 teams with a few of them with 5. But that’s just my two cents. I agree with most of what your saying though. Especially the big divisions that send 4 with one team usually being 1-9 or 0-10.

With districts and the total number of teams in the two 6man divisions, it’s hard to say putting 3 in would be a good idea. Some districts only have 3 or 4 teams. That’s the only issue. I think they should have done that when there was no division split when districts were 6-8 teams with a few of them with 5. But that’s just my two cents. I agree with most of what your saying though. Especially the big divisions that send 4 with one team usually being 1-9 or 0-10.
That would be an interesting challenge to create a rule where a second place finisher ( runner up) would have to win at least one district game to advance to the playoffs. Such a rule would allow a few third place finishers an opportunity to create chaos in the playoffs. We all are aware that some districts are just a tougher collection of talent and competition than other districts. Such a rule would add a little spice to the playoff system. Why not?? Six man football needs to add a field goal kicking contest at half time at the State Championship game to highlight the best kickers in sixman football. Give the fans some extra half time entertainment while spending $50 for a hamburger and fries at Jerry's World! No extra charge for the kick either!

If you look the 5 and 6 A districts have at least 8 teams. It does change a little at the 3A level especially out west. Two teams to the playoffs is plenty since most districts have only 4 or 5 teams. Watch the scores this week and look how many teams get 45'd. Six man doesnt need more of that.

If you look the 5 and 6 A districts have at least 8 teams. It does change a little at the 3A level especially out west. Two teams to the playoffs is plenty since most districts have only 4 or 5 teams. Watch the scores this week and look how many teams get 45'd. Six man doesnt need more of that.
I don't see any one advocating more than two teams advancing from a particular six man district, just those teams that can at least win one district game should advance. As the format is currently laid off, some of the teams advancing are not competitive on bi district play, or even at the regional level.

I think in 6man D1 and D2 two teams from each district is plenty to represent. The bi district round this week will definitely show the split between playoff contenders and teams that made the playoffs just due to being in weak districts. My outlook would be more into shaking up the UIL District map and moving some teams around so district play is a little more competitive. That being said No one will ever be happy and having teams go into bi district and get completely blown out is not what players and coaches need either, even though that will happen this week and possibly next week as well.

Below is the percentage of the Division that makes the playoffs. 11-man is ridiculous. IMHO, only the best should make the playoffs. Two thirds of the division does not need to make it.

1A Div 1 - 32/75 - 43%
1A Div 2 - 32/74 - 43%

2A Div 1 - 64/96 - 67%
2A Div 2 - 64/93 - 69%

3A Div 1 - 64/106 - 60%
3A Div 2 - 64/105 - 61%

4A Div 1 - 64/95 - 67%
4A Div 2 - 64/92 - 70%

5A Div 1 - 64/129 - 50%
5A Div 2 - 64/122 - 52%

6A 128/245 - 52%

Last edited:
this is my point. I am not asking for more teams to make the playoffs in six-man. My issue is with larger schools. Pampa is making the playoffs and did not win a single district game. Borger, kinda the same way. When does a team that doesn't win a district game deserve to be in a playoff game? That is not right.

A few years back a team (in San Antonio i believe) lost every game for like 2-3 years and made the playoffs(4 team districts). It is not right...

Just imagine, in 6-man, if District winners got a bye round and #2 from one plays # 3 from the other. If we could do that, could you imagine what the larger schools would start screaming? All I am getting at, with all of this, is that it is not a fair situation for everyone involved. I agree, there will be a lot of blowouts this week, but it could also help if we had a different format. It's the nature of the beast.

Below is the percentage of the Division that makes the playoffs. 11-man is ridiculous. IMHO, only the best should make the playoffs. Two thirds of the division does not need to make it.

1A Div 1 - 32/75 - 43%
1A Div 2 - 32/74 - 43%

2A Div 1 - 64/96 - 67%
2A Div 2 - 64/93 - 69%

3A Div 1 - 64/106 - 60%
3A Div 2 - 64/105 - 61%

4A Div 1 - 64/95 - 67%
4A Div 2 - 64/92 - 70%

5A Div 1 - 64/129 - 50%
5A Div 2 - 64/122 - 52%

6A 128/245 - 52%
Good information.

We've swung the pendulum too far the other way once again...for the life of me, the human race has no idea how to balance out things. Back in the old days...let's say the 1980's...there were 8-2 teams staying home. Only the top 2 teams went, and if there was a 3 way tie, they flipped a coin. So, I suppose we asked ourselves, what is worse, an 8-2 team NOT making the playoffs or a 1-9 team making the playoffs. I think there is a balance for sure. It is ludicrous for a 1-9 team to go to the playoffs, but it is even more atrocious if an 8-2 has to stay home.

A system based on SOS of your schedule, the teams you play schedule and second tier points based on the opps. of the teams you play would give you the best 32,48,64 (pick a number) seed the teams based on system.

This would put the best of the best in the playoffs and eliminate top teams meeting early

A system based on SOS of your schedule, the teams you play schedule and second tier points based on the opps. of the teams you play would give you the best 32,48,64 (pick a number) seed the teams based on system.

This would put the best of the best in the playoffs and eliminate top teams meeting early

So, use The Toy to pick the playoff seeds? Hey, I'm in! There may be some teams that disagree, though!

we went 8-2 and didn't make the playoffs. We lost 2 district games and we do not deserve to go, period. But as I look at our 8-2 record and then I look at the 11-man playoffs, I can't help but get a little irritated. WE DID NOT WIN ENOUGH DISTRICT GAMES TO GO TO THE PLAYOFFS!! Period, end of the story on that, but I just don't think the situation is fair from top to bottom.

1636413730246.png
6man Div 1 Bi District results from the last 5 years. The runner ups don't win often, but they win enough to justify taking 2 teams from each district.
When I get time, I will check out the 3rd and 4th place teams from 11man. I am curious if those 3rd and 4th teams have ever won.

we went 8-2 and didn't make the playoffs. We lost 2 district games and we do not deserve to go, period. But as I look at our 8-2 record and then I look at the 11-man playoffs, I can't help but get a little irritated. WE DID NOT WIN ENOUGH DISTRICT GAMES TO GO TO THE PLAYOFFS!! Period, end of the story on that, but I just don't think the situation is fair from top to bottom.
Granted, this phenomena isn't subject to 11 man only...there are several 3-7 teams advancing at the 6 man level. Region and districting could help alleviate the issue, but you will never be able to please everyone.

@SlaughterHouse6 you are correct, no way we could ever make everyone happy. But again, a 3-7 six-man team at least won some district ballgames, unlike the 11 man teams who got 4th out of 4 in their district. Pampa went 6-4 on the year, 0-3 in district play. I know other 11 man teams did as well...this isn't right.

Back