How would this action be interpreted by officials in TX?

I think it all depends on what the ref had for breakfast that morning. It's all subjective anyway. But seriously, that didn't look like taunting to me. Hopefully a ref wouldn't call that one unsportsmanlike. Especially if it's a state championship.

how can that be taunting? unsportsman? that is just bull----. don't think ur suppose to have any emotion when u play the game now days!!!

This and some other actions like raising a finger in there were discussed in our chapter and many officials have different attitudes towards this.
This play, to me is a no call. I did not read the article and I do not know what point this happened in the game. But for sake of (if I was on field) I would watch him all the way to the point of scoring and what he does after. First starting this action at the 20 to me is suspect. But he pulls his arm down pretty quick so I got nothing. I see no taunting, no choregraphed celebration, nothing that looks bad enough to flag and penalize a spot foul and take a score away. Regular season game or playoff you stay off this. Early in game this is a "talk to." Tell him to be real careful what he does and not place us in a situation to have to judge it.

Now many camps and clinicians for officials teach in these situations make sure nothing is directed at a opposing player, bench, stands, no taunting, and nothing prolonged and choreographed. But they also direct us if something does not feel right and it is flagged it would be supported. Unfortunatley it becomes judgement but they want to allow youthful exuberance in a game but shut off things that could cause issues.

On the 20? I am flagging that every time. If you dont have the common sense to wait until you score to celebrate with your teammates? I think back many years ago when I was a young official and this exact thing happened in a game. The runner was horse collar tackled in the end zone, injured, and out of the game; fights and ill will followed rest of the game. Massachusetts and Texas are the only two high school associations that follow NCAA rules (with their state exceptions). Everybody knows the rules, use common sense and do not take the chance.

are both of u for real??? horse collar in the end zone?? i haven't seen one called all year anyway. lets play the game with no emotion what so ever!!!!!
the call was a no brainer??? they are kids for goodness sake. that was a complete overaction to a simple celebration. tell Deon Sanders that he couldn't celebrate at the 20 yard line. i know ur gonna say thats where it started, but its a freakin GAME. a game plain and simple. if i've scored the TD to win the game, and know i've got everyone beat on my way to the endzone, and raise my hand in triumph! thats not unsportsman. Tell Drew Pearson, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Emmit Smith, and any classy proffesional player in the hall of fame they were unsportsmanlike when they did the same thing. or is it a different game now. oh by the way Deion Sanders is in the hall of fame too, without ur vote!!!!!

Chuck Noll when he was coaching the Steelers had the right idea about end zones and celebrating ... when you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before.

I've got nothing on that play.. A raised fist, index finger, etc don't meet the criteria set forth in the rule, it does say that the listed acts are not they only acts that can be flagged, but this doesn't warrant a flag. A talking to, maybe.. But that's the most I've got.

Should have been a "nothing" on that one. The rule does say that finger pointing is a foul, but only if it's toward an opponent.

On the other hand, Quentin70, you're a bit mistaken. Your examples of Drew Pearson, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Emmit Smith are all true - except that the NFL has very different rules regarding celebrations than the NCAA/Texas UIL. In fact, the NFL rules have changed significantly since those guys crossed the goal line.

And finally, we should all remember that the rules are made by the coaches, not the officials. We only enforce the book. I'm sure the coach on the opposing team would have been furious if the foul was not called.

I think the call was trash in my opinion. The kid literally raised his hand for 2 seconds. I can see it being called if it was one that was applied to an extra point or kickoff but taking away a teams title for it is just not fair.

Tex90":dpceme77 said:
I think the call was trash in my opinion. The kid literally raised his hand for 2 seconds. I can see it being called if it was one that was applied to an extra point or kickoff but taking away a teams title for it is just not fair.

Interesting, you say it was trash, but then say you can see it called in certain situations? I can't see it called at all, but if it was a foul there shouldn't be anything situational about it, it either is or isn't.

again who comes up with these rules the UIL AND THE COACHES. the refs are the ones who have the job of enforcing a bad rule. now why is it a bad rule? come on lets all way in on this one. i think it is bad because number 1 it is not defined well enough that any one knows what is within the parameters. hope to hear your oppinions

kbjoe1":3lk100db said:
again who comes up with these rules the UIL AND THE COACHES. the refs are the ones who have the job of enforcing a bad rule. now why is it a bad rule? come on lets all way in on this one. i think it is bad because number 1 it is not defined well enough that any one knows what is within the parameters. hope to hear your oppinions

sort of... actually since we follow NCAA rules with only a few exceptions, it is really the NCAA and their coaches. But yes, it is coaches at that level that make up the rules, and the UIL and the Texas coaches approve the NCAA rules and changes each year... then they add the 6-man exceptions.

Back