Horse Collar

rickref72

11-man fan
I have seen more confusion in one year over this mess so I would post the rule just for kicks. That is it. Pretty simple. Not sure why it gets so confused. The immediate part is the largest key. Back when NCAA added this to the rules the conferences could not find video because it is so rare with anything being close. They had to use NFL film of Mr Williams. It is just not one of those penalties that really happens legitimatley that often.

Based soley on the noise from this mess I will be making sure locally we have this down.

Horse Collar Tackle
ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of
the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads
RULE 9 / CONDUCT OF PLAYE RS AND OTHERS SUBJECT TO THE RULES FR-89
or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply
to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule
2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it.

This is one of my biggest concerns. I have a player that has had two penalties this year called on him for grabbing the shoulder pad and slinging the runner out of bounds. The runner never left his feet, was just forced out by the slinging motion and was told they cant even GRAB the inside of the shoulder pads! It was a sideways motion, NOT an IMMEDIATE DOWNWARD motion!

Coach I get ya. I know of one of my newer officials calling and telling me about one he had and it was just understanding the immediate part. We can teach all we want but sometimes it is up to the individual to know and understand and contionue their own individual study.

Honestly I wish I ran into you on thsi more. Most of the time it is revers and coaches do not understand the immediate part must be there. One step or riding player down or out is not a horse collar.

Back