HICO 2011 •••• O.K. is it worth the SUFFERING ?? You Decide

justobserving

11-man fan
Hico ...... 2011

An early preview of the playoffs according to the rankings by Dave Campbell. 5 games spanning approximately 10 hours. In 4 games there is no team ranked lower than #7.

There will be no DI team out of the top 6. You have #2 #3 #4 #5 #6. Only missing party is #1 ranked Borden County. Borden County will be squaring off with #7 ranked Rankin in McCamey at 8:00.

Now the question. Is this really nice lineup of games worth (just projecting here from what has been going on) braving 106°+ temps and 40% Humidity (projected average for the next 10 days) ? It will be miserable. ( to be honest ) Lots of people are still gonna say YES !!

This is a very elite schedule of games. Couldn't really have been able to write this out any better for a short story. The only flaw in the matchup perfection will be that #3-D1 Garden City is playing out of Division against #3-DII Motely County. Not meant to demean MC, just an observation on the matchups.

The question is will you be there and the second part how long will you stay ? It is 304 miles (4.5 to 5 hours) from Hico to McCamey. Would you give up the tail end of Throck and Valley and miss Follett vs Ira to get the the BC / Rankin game ? The riding time would give you time to cool off and rest some and then watch the game in probably a relatively cool, say 96° to 98° temp. Only a Six Man fanatic would consider such a thing .... so that includes how many people ?? LOL

Also of note ... after week ZERO at least 3 of the top 7 ranked teams in DI will have a loss.... The "Toy" is gonna have it's work cut out sorting through this.

Strawn (7-DII) ................ vs ........ Calvert (4-DII) .......................... 10:00 AM

Garden City (3-DI) ......... vs ........ Motley County (3-DII) ............... 12:00 PM

Throckmorton (2-DI) ..... vs ........ Valley (4-DI) ............................. 2:00 PM

Follett (6-DI) ................. vs ........ Ira (5-DI) ................................... 4:00 PM

Rising Star (NR) ............. vs ........ Walnut Springs (10-DII) ............. 6:00 PM

Any predictions on the outcomes ???

I don't think I will be leaving the Valley-Throck game early to see BC-Rankin. I don't think the BC game will bethat close.

The valley game looks to be the most evenly matched game in Hico this year, as I think Follett is coming in ranked about 10 spots too high, and Ira maybe coming in under ranked by a spot or two.

Planning to go to Hico to see GC - MC game & maybe part of Valley-Throck game. Also gives my wife and me to see her brother and sister-in-law over in Hillsboro. Just glad the GC-MC game is at the time it is.

Last year Hico had this huge TV screen in the west end zone. Maybe as big as 30' by 40'. Brought in on a Semi. Cost them in the neighborberhood of 10,000 for the day. If they spend the money for this little item again, you can sit in the shade of the east end zone and watch the games and all of the replays just like you were home. (Almost!) It really helped me survive the afternoon.

I dont' think the GC - MC game will be that good. Unless GC drastically dropped off. MC is just an above average team in what i consider the weekest corner of the state for D2 football. Any team that could make D1 playoffs coud make it to the Quarterfinals out of that corner. Ithink there s way to much hype behind them. I've seen these senior kids grow up out there on th field and they aren't big enought to be powerfull (with the exception of Dayne Butler who just graduated) They are decently quick but not that quick. They have a decent pass game at best. Good coach and not bad players by they are No GC and Coach Bigham is no Vance jones.

COL!!!!! JO you've barely gotten back to posting on this site and you've already got someone stirred up. It's evident that this person is a newbie. Seeing your comments and GGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ brings back old times. Glad to have you back.

Old Geezer wrote:
> My last post should have been under another thread. OOOPS!

lol That's why you're the Old Geezer! lol

there is so much I want to type.... my fingers are trembling..... should I crack on the old Geezer? JO, what do you think?

ok - better judgement won out.

I believe you made the right decision sir .... JMHO ... the range of reprisals could be infinite ....

How 'bout that offense ?? Inside joke to all others ....

We will be bringing back the GoVision screen again this year. Last year, GoVision brought the JumboTV, the world's biggest portable TV, to Hico because they are great guys and wanted to do something special kids who are playing in the Hico Six-Man Super Saturday. (I won't discuss price, but it was nowhere close to $18,000 a day they charge for big-time rock concerts and sporting events.) They brought it because, like I said, they are great people. Over the years, we have been able to put on the event due to the generosity of companies like GoVision, the Dallas Cowboys, the NFL, RoTel, Nike, Whataburger, etc, etc. That is why we always ask for the fans to support these great businesses (which can be found at www.hicosupersix.com). Without their financial support, it would be virtually impossible to do what we've been doing for eight years at Hico. We also are greatly indebted to people like Walt Garrison who gives up his time to come to Hico and sign autographs and Stephen Jones, the president of the Dallas Cowboys. In all, over 100 volunteers work all day to stage the event. (No one probably knows that local cattleman Barry Christian donates the beef that that is used for the hamburgers!). We are very proud of the Hico Six-Man Super Saturday and enjoy putting on an event that seems to bring so much fun to the fans and the players. See you August 27th!

Locally grown & processed fresh beef! That has to be part of what makes those burgers so good. I may take a break & chill, drink tea, & nibble on fish at Chicken E but I always look forward to a burger at the stadium that day. Tell Mr. Christian Thank You.

Sounds like to me as though there are some very hard working and dedicated organizers here. I can't imagine the time and effort it must take.

My only comparison, which is none, is getting ready for fairly huge track meets I was associated with and did myself over the years. But no sponsors and the need for money to get that done. Many many hours and headaches but nothing even closely resembling this undertaking.

Hats off the to the HICO Team that gets this done.

Strawn (7-DII) ................ vs ........ Calvert (4-DII) .......................... 10:00 AM

Garden City (3-DI) ......... vs ........ Motley County (3-DII) ............... 12:00 PM

Throckmorton (2-DI) ..... vs ........ Valley (4-DI) ............................. 2:00 PM

Follett (6-DI) ................. vs ........ Ira (5-DI) ................................... 4:00 PM

Rising Star (NR) ............. vs ........ Walnut Springs (10-DII) ............. 6:00 PM

Any predictions on the outcomes ???

my choices calvert by 21
gc by 28
t rock by 4
ira by 24
ws by 38

-- cranking out the first set of predictions:

Strawn vs Calvert ----- Calvert by 8
Garden City vs Motley County ----- Garden City by 3
Throckmorton vs Valley ------ Valley by 2
Follett vs Ira ------ Ira by 17
Rising Star vs Walnut Springs ------- Walnut Springs by 38

Have done Hico the last two years and it is most definitely worth the trip. Great ball all day, great food, and great fans. Last year there was the occasional snow flurry and most fans needed their parkas but I hear Jerry is loaning Hico the dome from his big stadium so everything ought to be great this year! :)

If I might make one suggestion: I sure do wish the Koffee Kup Kafe would come on board as a sponsor and their delicious pies were served by the slice from the concession stand. I sure would like a big slice of their delicious pie after a Hico burger!

BerettaBoy":19lzav8u said:
Have done Hico the last two years and it is most definitely worth the trip. Great ball all day, great food, and great fans. Last year there was the occasional snow flurry and most fans needed their parkas but I hear Jerry is loaning Hico the dome from his big stadium so everything ought to be great this year! :)

If I might make one suggestion: I sure do wish the Koffee Kup Kafe would come on board as a sponsor and their delicious pies were served by the slice from the concession stand. I sure would like a big slice of their delicious pie after a Hico burger!

My turn Dogface: Good Point!!

Back