Gordon vs Strawn

Dale Miller

Six-man fan
Another edition of the Super Bowl of Six-Man football!
Tailgate party begins at 6:00. Pulled pork plus all the trimmings. Price not noted in the flyer I saw but I'm sure it will be reasonable. Hosted by Strawn Booster Club with proceeds earmarked for baseball field renovations.
Come early
Wear black
Yell loud
Stay late
Beat Strawn!!

My take on the game.

Gordon is predicted to win by 45 on more than one site.

Spreads don't matter in this one.

Strawn has been the favorite in all 8 games since 2007. Gordon has won 4 of those. Strawn could do the same now that Gordon is the favorite.

The home team has won every game since 2007, including the one at Mineral Wells when Strawn was on the "home" side, wearing "home" uni's. This one is at Strawn.

So the way I see it, it could go one of three ways. Gordon could come out and beat Strawn by the 45 that they are predicted to. OR......... It could be a tight game with either team winning. I don't think we will see the other end of the spectrum with Strawn winning big, but that's just my opinion. I would definitely give Gordon the advantage in this one.

Looks like it could be a mud bowl. Forecast now is for 80% chance of heavy rain starting Thursday night through Friday night.

The mudbowls have proven to be some of the best in the past! 2012 at Gordon was down to the wire.. literally last second and a 2 point game that could have been tied up on a safety at the end!

Longhorn85":tbylebzh said:
The mudbowls have proven to be some of the best in the past! 2012 at Gordon was down to the wire.. literally last second and a 2 point game that could have been tied up on a safety at the end!

I remember that one. Went home shortly after half time because the wife didn't want to stay in the increasing rain. Got home in time to hear the fumbled punt, near recovery by Strawn, and runout by Gordon to end the game.

This series is already unpredictable. The rain is really gonna be a wildcard...quiet confidence is giving way to great trepidation....

5short":13qhnzvp said:
Strawn was on the visiting side at Mineral Wells in 2008, not that it matters.
Actually,
When they played in the Mineral Wells stadium
in was a playoff game.
It was broadcast on KTXQ
the local MW/Weath station.
The announcers had never seen/called a 6man game.
They loved it and said it was the biggest crowd all year!

I don't remember the exact crew that broadcasted the game, but if Lynn Bearden was involved, it certainly wasnt his first rodeo. He had broadcast Gordon and Strawn playoff games off and on since the mid mid 90's for them. I sat in on a broadcast with him in 99 even when Gordon played Richland Springs in the State Semifinal at Glen Rose. In 2008 I listened online from Fort Campbell, as I was still in the Army at the time. That was a quarterfinal game, and yes it was the highest attendance all year for Mineral Wells. I can pretty much garuntee the same would happen any time Gordon and Strawn met in the Quarterfinals, though this year that doesnt seem likely after the Strawn loss to May.

It's getting muddier by the minute a few miles South of where this game will be played. 100% chance of rain through tomorrow night. I guess there is the possibility of games in this area being delayed or ended by storms. Otherwise the muddier the better. I liked playing in it, but not a downpour.

Last year, Gordon began a game against Lingleville on Friday, and ended up finishing it up at 10 am on Saturday. The Jr High Game between Gordon and Strawn was postponed for rain tonight with 2:11 left in the second quarter, with Gordon up 13-8, and will be resumed on Monday at 6 pm. None of this is unheard of, you just have to make it to the half for a game to be considered official, unless one team forfeits.

Unfortunately I was involved in the play that almost ended in a safety. I had to watch the film about 5 times to even grasp what happened. These games are always fun and you NEVER know what will happen!

CoachMCherry":394y6lrl said:
Unfortunately I was involved in the play that almost ended in a safety. I had to watch the film about 5 times to even grasp what happened. These games are always fun and you NEVER know what will happen!

Yeah imagine trying to call the play-by-play on that one in the moment... with the game on the line. That was the most difficult play to announce I have had in my five years of broadcasting games. "Snap to Cherry.......[mental overload].........the ball is loose on the ground in the END ZONE...[mental overload].... a Longhorn has picked it up and taken it to the 5 game over" ... with that last bit shouted so loud I probably blew somebody's speakers. haha What a finish to a game.

5short":1eerc47o said:
Strawn was on the visiting side at Mineral Wells in 2008, not that it matters.
You are right, I remember being on the visitor side that year, forgot I was a temporary Strawn supporter at that time.

Shad Kline":2ba1zgui said:
Longhorn85":2ba1zgui said:
Shad Kline":2ba1zgui said:
You are right, I remember being on the visitor side that year, forgot I was a temporary Strawn supporter at that time.

Oh man... you just said that on the message boards :)
Kid went to Strawn that year, kid wins.

I was just about to ask if you were dating a Strawn girl that year. Not the first time a kid from one or the other went to the other. Or one from the middle (Mingus) had to chose. I think most of us have rooted for the other when the home town was having a bad year (but not tonight) or eliminated. I rooted for Gordon last year in the playoff's.

Back