Gordon Vs Revere HS Colorado - 20 Years Ago!

SixFan19

11-man fan
This is a news clip of the Gordon/Revere Game from 1994. Different versions of this aired with news outlets and ESPN2 at the time. This is a Colorado news station version. You will see a young Granger Huntress and Tommy Wells in this footage. If I can find the ESPN version it has more detail. This was one of the first six-man football games to attract national media outlets. It lead to more interstate and international games, wider coverage and respect for the sport, which included the SI feature on Gordon and Zephyr two years later.

http://youtu.be/_0FpARElTuk

All I can locate on these guys anymore is 8-man football. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that was the case. Platte Valley High School.. It appears from looking that they are now 8 man and just got beat out of the state playoffs. Hate to hear that, but do still remember them making the trip down here.

Seems like they had played 8-Man in the past. I believe they carried a 70 something winning streak into Gordon that day. They flew into DFW that morning, we picked them up on a school bus, fed them, had the game that afternoon and sent them back to the airport that evening. I am sure it was pretty taxing on them overall. They were a good solid team and hit hard.

A box score and a few pics from that game...
http://lonestarfootball.net/game.as...=1994&TeamA=Revere-Ovid, CO 0&TeamB=Gordon 18

I actually grew up in Revere's school district, but attended Julesburg to play 11-man & run track (Revere was hard-core baseball in the spring). Revere HS & Julesburg HS now co-op and play as the Sedgwick County Cougars (8-man). Students still graduate as Revere Raiders or Julesburg Lions, respectively.

It's often discussed on the boards about 6-man kids who go D1. Keith Miller played for Revere - located in Ovid, CO - & graduated in 1991. Started at Fullback for the University of Colorado in the mid 90s - no small feat for a 6-man player (who never played 11man before college) to start at a D1 school in its heyday. He's now an opera singer. A unique story:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... -1.1193656

As the article states, he was the lead blocker for Heisman trophy winner Rashaan Salaam

SixFan19":2lxp8g6y said:
Seems like they had played 8-Man in the past. I believe they carried a 70 something winning streak into Gordon that day. They flew into DFW that morning, we picked them up on a school bus, fed them, had the game that afternoon and sent them back to the airport that evening. I am sure it was pretty taxing on them overall. They were a good solid team and hit hard.

A box score and a few pics from that game...
http://lonestarfootball.net/game.as...=1994&TeamA=Revere-Ovid, CO 0&TeamB=Gordon 18

They did play 8-man for a better part of the 80s, they started the football 8-man co-op around 2005

I went to school and graduated from Revere....Revere is made up of two tiny towns, Sedgwick (Pirates) and Ovid (Red Devils) who sit 7 miles apart along the South Platte River Valley...Revere athletics is now co-op with Julesburg (those nasty Lions, Jeff), a slightly bigger town 7 more miles down the road and are now the Sedgwick County Cougars and play 8 man (I think combined HS enrollment is somewhere around 80). Keith Miller was a beast and played some fullback for the University of Colorado....later Luke Sittner, who would have been a sophomore on the 1994 Revere team also played briefly CU and then Chadron State in Nebraska...I believe that Revere has won 11 football titles....6 from 1989 to 1997 and 20 titles overall in boys athletics...great place to grow up...and great coaches in Dave Rice and Brad Heinz...hard to believe it was 20 years ago!!!

Easy there Clint - I don't want everyone thinking that people from Sedgwick County are Chiefs fans - haha. Very good people - all of them that you mentioned. Dave's wife was my junior high PE teacher - she told us as 7th graders that all junior high kids should be sent to an island until they've gone through puberty, then reintroduced to society (can you imagine the fallout of saying that now?). Funny that she eventually became Superintendent of the Julesburg School District.

Nope..they are all Donkey fans like you...who the Chiefs are tied for 1st place with btw...Mrs. Rice was the Principal at Julesburg I think, when I came through...Coach Rice went to Holyoke and coached Baseball in 1999, and Heinz is still at Revere, but I think he coaches in Haxtun now....Good times at Revere...u shoulda been a Revere Raider, Jeff

Back