Coming to Sixman???

Mr.Blue Sky

11-man fan
I know this is really to early to be asking this question? But I was recently looking at the Dave campbells football magazine and noticed a ton of schools at the 100-105 mark! I was just curious if any of them are joining sixman or are there any rumors if any teams joining sixman next year? Saw munday was at 105 that's pretty scary with all the speed and talent they got!

Here's a list of schools that (according to 2011 numbers) are 115 or less including those that were below 100 but playing 11-man.

FYI - Mount Enterprise lost 14 kids from 2009 to 2011; Iraan lost 16; Crosbyton lost 10; Munday lost 15; White Deer lost 14.

On the other side of the coin Shamrock was up 11 and Runge was up 24

Several of those listed are in the Permian Basin area so they may have experienced some growth and prevent them from playing 6-man.

Mount Enterprise 115
Claude 114
Wheeler 114
Ranger 114
Falls City 113
Bruni 113
Iraan 110
Agua Dulce 109
Medina 106
Burton 106
Crosbyton 106
Munday 106
White Deer 106 (ALREADY PLAYING OUTLAW SCHEDULE THIS YEAR)
Barksdale Nueces Canyon 106
Shamrock 105
Booker 104
Smyer 103
Wink 103
Earth Springlake 101
Morton 100
Runge 100
Burkeville 98
Gilmer Union Hill 97
Roscoe 97
Bronte 96
Menard 93.5
Baird 93
Cross Plains 92.5
Frost 91
D’Hanis 87
Roby 81
Gorman 80
Leakey 78
Rocksprings 76

It is crazy for me to think of Ranger ever being small enough to qualify for six-man. That town once had 30,000 residents but is just a shell of its former self. Gorman has always held on to its 11-man values pretty tight but I heard from someone there that they are thinking more about six-man these days.

I heard about a story concerning Don Hardin approaching Roscoe (I think it was) about going to six-man. They all but threw him out stating they would rather not play any football than go six-man. A lot of the places on that list are like that.

It amazes me how ignorant some of these towns are towards sixman when I believe both those towns and sixman can both benefit by them joining. By more teams joining its spreading the great game of sixman! But I heard a similar story about Roby not ever playing sixman. I've also noticed a lot of small schools just playing basketball what's up with that? Don't they know this is Texas where football is king!

Mr.Blue Sky":1tvr6b1u said:
It amazes me how ignorant some of these towns are towards sixman when I believe both those towns and sixman can both benefit by them joining. By more teams joining its spreading the great game of sixman! But I heard a similar story about Roby not ever playing sixman. I've also noticed a lot of small schools just playing basketball what's up with that? Don't they know this is Texas where football is king!

I've seen a little town split apart by the decision.

You can count Roby off that List, I have spoken with some school board members already and they have said that, though the numbers are there for it, they have large classes of boys coming up over the next couple of years, and locals here just don't want to see the 6 man game yet.

Maybe just wild speculation, but I heard Springlake-Earth is on the bubble as well. I didn't see them on the list, but heard rumblings in the stands at a JH game in Smyer last week.

What would be an interesting "stat" at seasons' end would be to "match up" the win-loss record of these schools "on the bubble" and see how many are 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 (maybe also going back a couple years) or have had to cancel contests due to injuries and low numbers.

My guess is schools that "match up" well on this statistic would be those more likely to go from 11 man to 6 man.

Several bubble schools I've talked to
are concerned about going 6
then having increasing enrollment
(miraculously)
that would cause them to drop back down to 11man.

What?

That's right...
I said drop down to 11m.
So what?

I just don't get why teams that are below the enrollment level hang on to 11man? I remember when nazereth had some really good teams in 05-07 they probably would of had some state titles if theyd been playing 6man but no they wait till they start struggling then they drop and guess what their struggling! Nothing against Nazareth they were just one of the teams I could think of that did this.

Mr.Blue Sky":2neqks8d said:
I just don't get why teams that are below the enrollment level hang on to 11man? I remember when nazereth had some really good teams in 05-07 they probably would of had some state titles if theyd been playing 6man but no they wait till they start struggling then they drop and guess what their struggling! Nothing against Nazareth they were just one of the teams I could think of that did this.

Naz was below the cutoff for several years, and made deep playoff runs most of those years. Then, when they lost every game one year, and failed to score a touchdown the next, they moved up to 6-man. It happens.

I can tell you right now these schools won't play six-man any time soon...if ever...I also have personally called schools and asked around including coaches and administrators alike

Would rather die a slow death than play six-man:
Roscoe, Bronte, Roby (who could have been playing six-man for about 10 years now if they wanted), Union Hill, Gorman

Schools on my bubble that I have called personally this season and asked and they said they will not be playing six-man:
Smyer, Shamrock, Wink, Cross Plains (Wink and Shamrock are growing and will have about 120 is what I have been told)

In the past I have called and asked Runge about it as well and they said no way

Booker has stated publicly (Amarillo newspaper) that they won't be playing six-man either

Morton I have heard was thinking about it

If Leakey and Rocksprings go 6 man, then that might get a couple of the commie non football schools like Knippa,Utopia, and Tilden off the bubble and get their programs started up again.

Shamrock is one of those teams that have so much pride in 11 man. Nomatter if they grow or not I just don't ever see them being good. I mean the last time the Irish made the playoffs back in 2010 they had only won 2 games. Then played another 2 win team in Gruver first round. Won but next ran in to a strong Plains team and lost. Just seems to me a school like that would want six man I'm sure it hurts the kids when you are being destroyed every year.

From what I saw at JH game, Smyer would only be down to 6-man numbers for 2 years, if that, before having more than enough kids to stay in 11man.

Back