Better 6 man football?

JH PACER COACH

11-man fan
I love 6 man football, so with that said I have a question for all the wise 6 man fans. Going off of this year and not the past, how would the best public school teams fair against the best private school teams? Take the top 3 teams from UIL, TAPPS, TCAL, TCAF, and TAIAO put them in a playoff scenario and who comes out on top?

May just played Waco Vanguard last week. May won 60 a 14. At the time May was ranked 14th in Division 1 and Vanguard was the top team in their division.....

Okay. So according to the scores of these and probably other games this year, is it safe to say that public schools versus private schools wouldn't even be a contest?

"the Twelve Mighty Orphans" by Jim Dent is a great read and I recommend it highly.
I agree, with possibly a few very exceptions over the years, the best private programs simply cannot compete
with the best public schools. It must be something in the water.

Dallas Covenant from 4-5 years ago is the only private I've seen that could, and did, compete with the best of the public schools. But they've since gone to crowded field, and now the universe is back to normal.

One thing to take into consideration in the discussion is the simple fact that 98% of the public schools would lose to the top ranked D1 and D2 teams. I personally know of a lot of private schools who compete and win against the average public schools. I think most people would agree that Sterling City is a good football program, but Richland Springs won that game hands down last week. I will agree that for the most part the private schools don't get that dominate team like Richland Springs has been, BUT neither has 98% of public schools. So, somehow I am agreeing but disagreeing!

There are always a few private schools that come along and can compete with the top public schools.

El Paso Jesus Chapel comes to mind from long ago.

2011 Abilene Christian lost to Ira by 8. I believe Ira was ranked #1 at the time. The next year or so Dallas Covenant beat Throckmorton who I also believe was #1. There are times when privates can compete with the best publics, it's just been a few years.

CoachBrinkman":3o8qsdaq said:
One thing to take into consideration in the discussion is the simple fact that 98% of the public schools would lose to the top ranked D1 and D2 teams. I personally know of a lot of private schools who compete and win against the average public schools. I think most people would agree that Sterling City is a good football program, but Richland Springs won that game hands down last week. I will agree that for the most part the private schools don't get that dominate team like Richland Springs has been, BUT neither has 98% of public schools. So, somehow I am agreeing but disagreeing!

Most years, even mediocre public school teams will handily throttle the top ranked privates.

I have coached both and I just don't agree with you 100%. I'm not going to take the time to go through years of data, but to use a few games from this year:
D1 current ranked #8 Union Hill is 5-0 and their closest game has been a private school 96-78.
D1 current ranked #19 Anton 5-1 closest game was a private school 66-64. (Other than loss)
D1 current ranked #26 Medina 6-0 closest game was a private school 16-37
D2 current ranked #9 Calvert closest game was a private school 46-62.
My point is that most private schools don't play a lot of public schools, but when they do they represent themselves well a lot of the times. Definitely Not a hands down beating you reference. Of course those happen too, but not fair to private schools to say they can't play with public schools.

CoachBrinkman":17h5f5o9 said:
Abilene Christian and Midland Trinity seem to field some pretty solid teams most years.

Midland Trinity moved to the crowded field this year. Abilene Christian seems to be rebounding after 3 sub-par seasons. They do play Medina this week. Both are undefeated. Should be a good game.

Since you want to look at rankings...... Let's look

10 of the top 50 Overall team(255 teams) are private schools.
With current power ratings:
Dallas Lutheran would be a 9 point favorite over D2 #12 Oakwood.
New Braunsfels Christian and Dallas Lutheran along with 6 other private schools would be a favorite in a game with the majority of the D2 teams.

There are exceptions to every rule. However in this case if you take away the exceptions, the rule is public vs private is no contest..........

Back