After Tonight...

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
We will know a lot more about how strong teams are or aren't.

Blanket who was 3-0 has already lost by 45 to May (a DI v DII game)...Tell's me that Blanket may be over rated...that Gordon REALLY is overrated...and that May if they can survive their district will likely be one of the top 3 teams in DI East.

My feelings about tonights matchups:

Garden City is really overrated having beaten Tioga a first year school, Borden County who everyone in the know will tell you is WAY down this season thanks to graduation, kids transferring, and injuries (and it pains me to say that BC people), and Sterling City who has a new coach and is also in a rebuilding year...Garden City's combined opponents record = is 2-7. Ira has only 45ed, Strawn, Grady, and Ropes...all of which have strong teams this season. Ira by 45 is my pick.

Because of injury I think Valley v Crowell will end the same way...but I would have loved to see this game if Crowell was 100%! If what I have been told about the injuries to Crowell is true then it is good news for Valley who had 3 straight games of Crowell, Dallas Covenant, and Follett...

My eye is on Motley County v Paducah and Knox City v Newcastle: Both DI v DII games

For me Motley County, Knox City, and Newcastle were question marks in the preseason...I ranked Knox City in the top 10 as they had a lot of people returning. Motley County was just the opposite...graduated a large group of core players who had been the core for 4 seasons, so I felt they were in a rebuilding year, Newcastle lost a key player or 2 and really just flew under my radar a little.

After tonight we will know a little more about just how good Motley Co. is, if the game is close or Paducah wins...MC is over rated ( and Guthrie is underrated), if MC blows them out, Paducah is overrated.

If I'm going to a game tonight...it is Knox City v Newcastle...I have no idea about this one but it should be good!

For the record here are my current top 10s at texasfootball.com (Dave Campbell's)
http://www.texasfootball.com/rankings/

Also there is the Water Valley v ACHS:

Gut tells me Water Valley wins handily...if so Water Valley is what Water Valley is believe to be. However, a ACHS win/upset = WV is over rated...after all WV did almost loose to Grandfall's (and might have it was not for 3 GF turnovers in the redzone) one of the 2 best DII teams (the best I think in DII), and ACHS lost a close game to a top ranked DII team in Newcastle...

For the fun of it I would also like to see the Strawn v Lueders-Avoca game...L-A is 3-0 and on no ones watch list...and they did upset Strawn a few years back in the playoffs...and Don Hardin played for L-A! Upset?????

Other games I'm watching:

Abbott v Blum...Blum 3-0...gut tells me Abbott wins easy but if Blum is underrated and the Bimes kid isn't back for Abbott...this may be a better game than most believe it to be

Calvert v Buckholts....a former class mate of mine is now at Buckholts and the toy has this game as Buckholts by 3....should tell us a bit about these two teams and were they are.

Hermleigh v Borden County....the toy has BC by 40...I'm going to pick Hermleigh in a win...bold I know

Follett v Happy...Happy is GOOD and underrated...Follett hasn't had a test yet this season so this will be the first...I think this will be a dog fight with Follett on top in the end, but don't be surprised if the Cowboys ride off with a win!

Leman Saunders":3t97bpzz said:
Also there is the Water Valley v ACHS:

Gut tells me Water Valley wins handily...if so Water Valley is what Water Valley is believe to be. However, a ACHS win/upset = WV is over rated...after all WV did almost loose to Grandfall's (and might have it was not for 3 GF turnovers in the redzone) one of the 2 best DII teams (the best I think in DII), and ACHS lost a close game to a top ranked DII team in Newcastle...

For the fun of it I would also like to see the Strawn v Lueders-Avoca game...L-A is 3-0 and on no ones watch list...and they did upset Strawn a few years back in the playoffs...and Don Hardin played for L-A! Upset?????

Don, if your listening, in all fairness stay out of this. No fair pullin' strings with The Man up there.

Zephyr v Jonesboro...another game that will tell us how good teams really are...Zephyr usually is ranked high but by the end is usually overrated...but they have a new head coach this year...Jonesboro lost some key players off last years team but returns Lord and a small core of players...but they have little depth when compared to Jonesboro teams of the past...and Jonesboro will come out and hit you hard! Zephyr is 3-0 so is Jonesboro...lets see if Jonesboro is a little overrated and Zephyr underrated...

Leman Saunders":1uqyflsg said:
Please...someone else tell me where I'm wrong and why...post your thoughts
I think you are pretty close on a lot of them.

I can't really speak for the teams I haven't seen, but for the ones that I have......
Gordon is overrated. I will stand firmly in my belief that they are only temporarily overrated. I think they are still trying to get the "new coach" bugs worked out, and that once they are more comfortable with the new system that they will be back near the top. I'm just hoping that is sooner rather than later. But for now, way overrated.
Blanket - Their getting 45'ed by May actually surprised me. And I have May ranked pretty high. Maybe not quite high enough?????
Blanket is pretty good, and I think they will get better as the season goes along. And will be a lot better than pretty good for the next few years.
Zephyr - Also, with the new coach bugs, and they are young. If they get by Jonesboro with a W, they they will be my pick, along with May, to make it to the playoffs in Dist 9. But at this point, anybody's picks are just as good as anyone elses out of that district. It's anybody's to win, ANYBODY's.

Any other teams I would just be speculating, so will just leave it at that.
Yall have a great day too!!!!!

Aquilla favored over Walnut Springs by 27 - I think Aquilla ends this one early.

Blum underdog to Abbott by 45 - I agree, IF Abbott has Beims on the field. If not, Abbott by 10

Buckholts favored over Calvert by 3 - I'll take Calvert by 14

Bynum underdog to Iredell by 28 - Bynum keeps it a little tighter than this.

Cherokee underdog to Lometa by 21 - Lometa by 45

Chillicothe underdog to Bryson by 25 - Chillicothe by 2

Follett favored over Happy by 32 - Follett by 8. Happy is better than expected.

Garden City underdog to Ira by 34 - sorry GC fans, Ira ends this at halftime.

Hedley underdog to Hart by 21 - Hedley by 6

Hermleigh underdog to Borden County by 40 - Hermleigh by 8

Lueders-Avoca underdog to Strawn by 45 - Strawn by 20

Milford favored over Avalon by 45 - I think Milford is a little overrated. Milford by 30

New Home underdog to Petersburg by 7 - Pete by 20

Newcastle underdog to Knox City by 6 - not sure how to pick this one.

Oakwood underdog to Trinidad by 15 - Trinidad has been inconsistent. If they give 100%, they can 45 Oakwood

Paducah underdog to Motley County by 25 - I'm going against the toy on this one. Paducah by 8

Robert Lee favored over Sterling City by 28 - going with my gut on this one Robert Lee by 42

Rule underdog to Woodson by 45 - I think this will be an upset. Rule by 6

Santa Anna favored over Mullin by 36 - Santa Anna beats the spread and ends it early

Valley favored over Crowell by 23 - If Crowell was 100%, this would be a battle. As it stands, Valley by 45

White Deer underdog to Dallas The Covenant by 45 - I agree with the spread, but I want to say hats off to Coach Miracle scheduling this game was gutsy.

Zephyr underdog to Jonesboro by 7 - Jonesboro does a little better than this. Jonesboro by 16

Garden City vs Ira
Only because you asked for opinions. I believe Ira wins handily, maybe even by 45. If this happens I do not believe it makes Garden City over-rated. I believe Ira would 45 everyone from #9 down in the rankings.

WV vs ACHS
WV is pretty balanced with the run-pass. I don't have an exact rain total, but I can safely say it's rained between 3.5 and 5 inches in Water Valley yesterday and today. Will not completely take the passing game away but slows it down. Normal conditions I would put WV winning by 30 to 40 points. With these conditions I expect a WV win, but maybe a little closer. Maybe a lot closer. Regardless, the weather will be a factor and I'm not sure how you compute that if say they played in our normal west texas dry conditions. No excuses, just a hypothetical as is yours.

So, both games could effect rankings by the tool, not because it's factual.

One more you didn't mention. Richland Springs! Anyone rethinking their comments were premature now that May appears to be pretty solid?

The others I have no idea, actually have no idea about the above. Just my thoughts.

The guys that takes scores and put them in a computer and then gets rankings from the results can't make adjustments for weather conditions. Some of the results from tonight may be misleading. There are several teams around that depend on their passing game to open up their running game. Those teams may be in trouble. Water Valley and ACHS will probably be a wash in that regard. (Ha) GC, Newcastle, and Strawn come to mind.

GC Is better than you all give them credit and Ira is getting to much just on speed. I have not seen either this year but watching both over the last years and how the underclass man preformed

Well...I was wrong about Ira 45ing GC...thought that was a sure thing...my apologies to GC. I have obviously underrated them.

And same to Crowell! Dang...hate to see them at 100%

Liked to see that L-A scored a lot against Strawn to make them sweat a little!

Follett handled Happy looks like...maybe #1 is the right place for them after all (I have GF at #1)

Wow. Crowell over Valley is the shocker of the week - and the margin of victory makes it even more shocking.

Worst loss for Valley in three years by my recollection.

Back